Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/21/2003 11:01:09 AM EDT
I am taking my family to Orlando for vacation next week.  I want to take atleast a handgun and maybe a Car15.  This is for protection only - won't have time to shoot for fun.  I know the first response is "F*** it, carry it anyway" and I agree.  BUT, I am asking from a strictly legal standpoint only - not common sense.  Where can I find the no-shit reg's for firearms in Florida?

Thanks guys,
Keith
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 11:02:34 AM EDT
[#1]
[url]www.packing.org[/url]
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 11:04:24 AM EDT
[#2]
You can carry a loaded pistol in your vehicle as long as it is not "readily accessible". One of the examples given was that it is ok to carry a loaded handgun in an unlocked glove compartment. Given the above example it is legal to carry a loaded M4 in your trunk.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 11:05:08 AM EDT
[#3]
I just got a pamphlet from the state gov about this. I will scan it and email it to you later if you want.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 11:09:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys. Offspring, that would be great.  Please email it to me.

Thanks, Keith

[email protected]
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 11:26:13 AM EDT
[#5]
You may carry a loaded handgun in the glove compartment, you can place it in a shoebox and sit it on the seat. It just has to be in something. Ditto for your rifle, just needs to be "encased" in some manner. If you have a CCW, you can probably carry in Florida. Here's the official link [url]http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/weapons/index.html[/url]

I see you're from GA, if you have your CCW in GA, you can carry in FL. Same laws as GA, the exception is in FL you can carry in eating establishments. Dismal World isn't a problem as long as it doesn't show and alarm other folks. Kinda don't ask, don't tell.

QUESTION 6. I am planning a trip to Florida shortly. I do not have a permit from my home state nor do I want to obtain a Florida permit. However, I would still like to have a weapon with me for self-protection. What are my options?

Florida law does allow a citizen to transport a weapon in a private vehicle, even if that citizen DOES NOT HAVE a concealed weapon license. Note the following two key provisions in the law:

Section 790.25(5), which deals specifically with possession in a private conveyance states that "it is lawful and is not a violation of s. 790.01 for a person 18 years of age or older to possess a concealed firearm or other weapon for self-defense or other lawful purpose within the interior of a private conveyance, without a license, if the firearm or other weapon is securely encased or is otherwise not readily accessible for immediate use. Nothing herein contained prohibits the carrying of a legal firearm other than a handgun anywhere in a private conveyance when such firearm is being carried for a lawful use. Nothing herein contained shall be construed to authorize the carrying of a concealed firearm or other weapon on the person. This subsection shall be liberally construed in favor of the lawful use, ownership, and possession of firearms and other weapons, including lawful self-defense as provided in s. 776.012." (Emphasis added.)

Section 790.001(17) defines the term "securely encased" to mean "in a glove compartment, whether or not locked; snapped in a holster; in a gun case, whether or not locked; in a zippered gun case; or in a closed box or container which requires a lid or cover to be opened for access."

So, while you cannot carry the weapon on your person, you can at least have it nearby in your vehicle while traveling.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/21/2003 2:12:05 PM EDT
[#6]
I recommend getting a Florida CCW as it's valid in many states.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top