Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/5/2012 5:27:13 PM EDT
Does anyone carry a long gun when going on family vacation or just your hand gun?  Am I crazy for feeling like I need to pack something other than my pistol?  
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 5:31:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Where and when?
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 5:42:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Where and when?

Gulf coast, this month.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 5:43:31 PM EDT
[#3]
I usually take an AR and 5 loaded mags with me whenever I travel
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 5:45:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Where and when?

This

Colorado? Yes
Miami? No
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 5:57:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Vatican carry?

I think only the Swiss Guards are allowed to carry there.  Prolly tough to get a permit, otherwise.

Getting your CCW past the Italians would be even tougher, IMHO.

Link Posted: 10/5/2012 6:07:19 PM EDT
[#6]
fly, Pistol
drive, AR and pistol.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 6:13:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Took my AR with me cross country. Depending on location really.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 6:19:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I usually take an AR and 5 loaded mags with me whenever I travel

Loaded rifle mags may get you in trouble some places. Illinois is not one of them.

Link Posted: 10/5/2012 6:20:27 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Vatican carry?

I think only the Swiss Guards are allowed to carry there. Prolly tough to get a permit, otherwise.

Only arms I saw at the vatican were pikes... they mean business there.

Link Posted: 10/5/2012 6:22:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Driving, yes.  AR under the back seat, LBV in the trunk.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 6:23:03 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Vatican carry?

I think only the Swiss Guards are allowed to carry there. Prolly tough to get a permit, otherwise.

Only arms I saw at the vatican were pikes... they mean business there.

Did you see the dudes in the dark suits and dark sweaters walking around in the shadows?  They prefer SIGS and HKs IIRC.

Link Posted: 10/5/2012 6:23:57 PM EDT
[#12]
AR pistol (11.5 barrel) with Aimpoint T-1 carried in halves in a padded blow molded case with a big "medical samples" sticker on the side.  Fits a couple loaded mags too.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 6:24:14 PM EDT
[#13]
If it it not legal I am on vacation where it is.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 6:27:05 PM EDT
[#14]
What is the advantage of not having a long gun? I usually throw a sidefolder SAR1 with a 20 rounder in it and three 30's in a Chinese chest rig in the trunk for trips.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 6:29:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
If it it not legal I am on vacation where it is.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

I was talking about driving through other states. It's legal in IL to have a loaded rifle or pistol mag in the same case. Some states its not. Which surprised me. After all its legal in IL it must be other places.

Then again we dont have an AWB or mag cap limits. SBR will be legal in Jan13. AOW are legal. No CCW but there are a few states that its legal in theory only or at the mercy of local law enforcment.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 6:32:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Not crazy for wanting something more than a handgun.  If driving a shot gun, AR would not be out of the question.  I am going to look up the little kel tec carbine, looks packable and a bit more than a pistol.

For me vacation carry is XD9 in a crossbreed, one magazine on me and probably 2-3 more in the car that get taken into the hotel with me.  AR behind the seat.  Shot gun will probably take it's place early next year.

Flying knocks it down to a handgun for me if I can carry.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 6:50:03 PM EDT
[#17]
I go there often.  I'd recomend at least 2 AR's  With a .308 backup.  I also don't go with less than 28 mags each and 3 times that in stripper clips.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 4:05:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I go there often.  I'd recomend at least 2 AR's  With a .308 backup.  I also don't go with less than 28 mags each and 3 times that in stripper clips.

Well I don't feel crazy anymore

Looks like AR with few mags and my everyday rig…and whatever I buy while down there
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 4:08:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 4:10:28 AM EDT
[#20]
No, I generally stick with a pistol when traveling.

One exception was during the Hurricane Katrina evacuation in Houston.  It was madness.  End of the world type behavior.  I had an AK with loaded drum and a mag pouch with 4 loaded 30's with me.  Honestly thought I might have to use it a few times but, obviously, I never did.

Link Posted: 10/6/2012 4:11:01 AM EDT
[#21]
If I am going on a road trip, a long gun is in the car.  Today it is an Arsenal SLR107F in a tennis racquet bag.

Link Posted: 10/6/2012 4:23:40 AM EDT
[#22]
I've thought about it but securing it is my problem. I hate the thought of leaving a gun in a car anymore and believe that has a better likelihood of arming a criminal than defending against one. My brother in law had his truck broken in to at a golf course just last Sunday and got some clubs, iPhone, and a brand new Taurus he'd just picked up 2 days before on Friday. Leaving it in the hotel room is a little concerning with maids coming in and out.

I've considered some type of lockable mount so I always have a truck gun there but haven't gotten serious about it. I saw one on American Guns a while back (yeah yeah, no further discussion needs to be had on the show) where they had an under seat mount that was unlocked by a button up front in the console, something like that sounds great.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 4:26:18 AM EDT
[#23]
M4 and a 12 gauge in the truck.

Link Posted: 10/6/2012 4:32:48 AM EDT
[#24]
I like to bring an AR in a covert case.  The problem I have is effing OHIO makes me unload the mags and I have to almost always travel though OH to get anywhere I like to vaca out of state.

I guess I could get an AR pistol and bring that along just for a loophole
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 4:35:24 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Does anyone carry a long gun when going on family vacation or just your hand gun?  Am I crazy for feeling like I need to pack something other than my pistol?  

Yeah if you are that scared, just stay home
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 4:44:24 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I like to bring an AR in a covert case.  The problem I have is effing OHIO makes me unload the mags and I have to almost always travel though OH to get anywhere I like to vaca out of state.

I guess I could get an AR pistol and bring that along just for a loophole

Another thing about Ohio that travellers should be aware of is our 30 round magazine limit.

You can own magazines which have higher capacity than 30 rounds as "collector's items" but you can't use them.

Do not bring a loaded, higher than 30 cap mag into Ohio.

A lot of people here in Ohio don't even know this is the law.

I was at Gander Mountain one day here in Ohio and saw they were selling Glock magazines with higher than 30 round cap.  I asked the guy at the counter if they were selling those as collector's items.  He had no idea what I was talking about.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 4:51:11 AM EDT
[#27]
If we are in the car I take a rifle, either my ar15 or ar10.  Its kind of funny, the last trip we went on I just left the rifle in my dad's spare bed room and never showed anyone.  She thought that I always took a rifle to show someone my rifle.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 5:04:35 AM EDT
[#28]
just take your normal CCW and as much ammo as you can comfortably carry.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 5:22:09 AM EDT
[#29]
I just take my CCW, a few extra magazines and a box of ammunition.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 5:37:10 AM EDT
[#30]
The midlength went with us on our honeymoon in the N. GA mountains. Six spare mags, too.

Link Posted: 10/6/2012 6:03:42 AM EDT
[#31]
When was the last time you heard about someone needing/using a rifle for self defense?  The only person I can think of that needs it would be Reginald Denny.  My opinion?  Paranoid, or at least trying to become that way.

Stick with your CCW.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top