Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 3/4/2006 8:54:27 PM EST
Just wanted to say that the radio played her mother saying "she was a good girl that had a rough life"
Hey ma, I think the actual test for being a good girl is NOT ROBBING PEOPLE
Va. 'Cell Phone Bandit' Gets 12 Years
Associated Press Writer
ALEXANDRIA, Va. (AP) -- After tearfully apologizing to the bank tellers she robbed, the young woman dubbed the "cell phone bandit" was sentenced Friday to 12 years in prison.

Candice R. Martinez, 20, gained notoriety when a surveillance camera video showed her calmly chatting on her cell phone while a nervous teller complied with a typed note demanding cash.

"Every day I've seen her face in my mind," said Mekeda Smith-El, a teller at one of the suburban Washington, D.C., Wachovia bank branches Martinez robbed.

While Smith-El did not testify during the sentencing hearing, she told reporters afterward that she recalls the note handed to her demanded $75,000.

That Oct. 12 heist - the first of four - netted about $14,000, and was followed by robberies in Springfield, Manassas and Ashburn. In the final robbery, a teller reported that Martinez flashed a gun.

U.S. District Court Judge Gerald Bruce Lee sentenced Martinez to five years for conspiracy to commit bank robbery and seven years for using a firearm in a crime of violence.

The sentence was identical to one Lee handed down a week earlier to Martinez's boyfriend, Dave C. Williams, 19.

Williams admitted to being on the other end of the cell phone, as well as driving the getaway car and using his computer to write the note. The first robbery occurred at a Vienna bank where Williams once worked.

"Her and Mr. Williams are equal partners," said Assistant U.S. Attorney Michael Rich. He reminded the judge that the pair studied Williams' Wachovia employees' manual before the first robbery, and composed the note used in the robberies together.

The teller in the Oct. 20 robbery testified she underwent counseling to continue working at the bank.

"Even if she had no intention of hurting me, I didn't know that," Jessica Dickerson, 20, said during a tearful courtroom statement.

"I'm sorry, very, very sorry," a crying Martinez said after the judge asked her to face Dickerson.

Investigators say Martinez and Williams netted a total of $48,620 which was used for everything from a plasma screen television to a 1997 Acura Integra. The couple also spent $2,000 on a Chihuahua puppy they named Capone.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:59:50 PM EST
"Where she belongs"... or.... "Not too funny now, is it?" Either statement is appropriate.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 9:04:32 PM EST
Sometimes I think the life of crime followed by a blazing gun battle woudl really be a helluva exciting life, as compared to toiling away for decades in the cube farm.......
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 9:07:17 PM EST

Originally Posted By Specop_007:
Sometimes I think the life of crime followed by a blazing gun battle woudl really be a helluva exciting life, as compared to toiling away for decades in the cube farm.......

Get Both?
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 12:25:04 AM EST
[Last Edit: 3/5/2006 12:25:42 AM EST by 22bad]
Here is another "good girl" that helped kidnap, torture and murder a couple and their unborn child

Prosecutor: Couple told torture victim his wife was still alive
Associated Press Writer
Mar 2, 2006
MOUNT CLEMENS, Mich. (AP) -- As Scott Berels was being beaten, injected with bleach and ultimately strangled to death, his tormenters told him his pregnant wife was still alive in another room, prosecutors said Thursday.

Patrick Alan Selepak, 27, and Samantha Jean Bachynski, 19, have been charged with first-degree murder in the deaths of Berels and his wife, Melissa, whose bodies were found Feb. 16 inside their New Baltimore home. The pair also is expected to be charged in the death of Winfield Frederick Johnson, 53, of Genesee County's Vienna Township.

Macomb County Prosecutor Eric Smith revealed the new details about Scott Berels' death following a brief court appearance by the defendants, at which prosecutors announced they were adding three charges - assault leading to the death of a fetus, kidnapping and identity theft.

Smith said that after strangling Melissa Berels, Bachynski and Selepak assured Scott Berels, whom they were holding in the bathroom, that his wife was still alive. They even pretended to relay messages back and forth, he said.

"The only good thing is that neither one of them had to see the other die," Smith said.

Smith said that before Berels was killed, she told Bachynski and Selepak that she was pregnant and begged them to allow her to call her mother.

Authorities have said Selepak and Bachynski tortured Scott Berels for hours, beating him and injecting him with bleach. But the ultimate cause of death was strangulation, Smith said.

Smith said that during the torture, Selepak and Bachynski forced Berels to record a new outgoing message for the couple's answering machine and to write a note to leave on the door indicating that his wife was being hospitalized because of pregnancy complications. Melissa Berels was 10 weeks pregnant.

The next day, Selepak called Melissa Berels' father and told him he was a friend of the couple. He told him that she was in the hospital and doing OK, but had to be airlifted to Tennessee.

Smith said Selepak was trying to buy himself and Bachynski time with that phone call, but did not really have a well-thought-out plan.

"They were sort of just making up things as they went along," he said, adding that the call only alarmed Melissa Berels' family.

Selepak and Bachynski were charged last week with two counts of first-degree premeditated murder, felony murder, home invasion, auto theft and use of a firearm in the Berelses' death. Authorities say they killed the couple in order to steal their identities

On Thursday, prosecutors told Judge Paul Cassidy of 42-2 District Court in Mount Clemens, that they were adding the three new charges against both of them. In addition, Selepak was charged with being a felon in possession of a firearm.

Preliminary examinations for the pair had been scheduled for Thursday, but they were postponed until April 6 so defense lawyers could review the evidence.

On March 9, the couple is expected back in the same court for an arraignment on an armed robbery charge, stemming from a holdup at a Mr. Pita restaurant in Chesterfield Township.

Authorities have said Selepak and Bachynski gave detailed confessions about their alleged nine-day crime spree. Smith said the police interviews lasted three or four hours.

Selepak's attorney, Bernard Jocuns, said he would fight to have his client's confession thrown out.

"He asserted his right to counsel unambiguously," but was not given an opportunity to talk to a lawyer before making the statements, Jocuns said. "You can't just take the Constitution and throw it out the window."

Jocuns said Selepak told him he had been denied meals at the Macomb County jail, a charge Smith called "ridiculous."

Smith said he was confident the confessions would hold up in court.

"Our detectives have known from day one that this is probably the most important case we'll have this year, and they dotted every 'i' and crossed ever 't'," he said.

Bachynski's lawyer, Albert Markowski, said he could not comment extensively on the case since he had not yet reviewed the police reports or taped confessions.

He said he met with Bachynski for an hour and half on Tuesday.

"She was quite upset. She was crying," he said. (awwww, that makes the torture, kidnapping and murder seem harmless)

Bachynski's family has portrayed the teenager, who grew up in the Imlay City and Lapeer areas, as a good person who fell for a bad man and got duped into going along with his plans.

Smith on Thursday also portrayed Selepak as the pair's leader - at least in the Berelses' killing.

"It's a mystery to us how and why Selepak decided to do what he did that day and why Bachynski decided to go along with him," he said.

The case has sparked a state investigation and led the Department of Corrections to clarify its rules on the release of people accused of violating parole.

Selepak, a freed robbery convict, was arrested Nov. 8 on parole violation charges. His parole officer recommended that Selepak go back to prison, but no parole hearing was scheduled within 45 days of his arrest as recommended by department policy. He was released Jan. 10.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:38:21 AM EST

The couple also spent $2,000 on a Chihuahua puppy they named Capone.

I wonder if the FBI used a Tommy gun on the chihuahua.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:53:58 AM EST

Originally Posted By 22bad: "I'm sorry, very, very sorry," a crying Martinez said after the judge asked her to face Dickerson.
She'll be real sorry once female MS13 gang members start selling her around the cellblock for cigarettes.
Top Top