Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/10/2006 5:19:25 PM EDT
Since one of my Camaros is in the process of dying and has gotten to the point that it would cost more to fix everything than it would ever be worth, and I really need something a bit more bug out friendly, I'm looking for a 4WD S10 Blazer. I've found one in town that looks to be in decent shape and if I can get it for a grand it'll do nicely, but since I'll have the 305 sitting around I might just have to rebuild it and shove it in the Blazer. I know it's possible, I've seen a couple of them, but I haven't talked to anyone that's actually done it. While I'm at it I'd like to strip out the fool injection entirely and stick a Holley on there like God intended. Naturally I have a few questions. Has anyone ever done this, or at least know more about the conversion than I do? What I need to know:

What needs to be done to the suspension to handle the extra weight of a small block over the current V6?

Does spark plug access exist after stuffing in the bigger motor? I'm used to 2 day plug changes in my 97 Z28, but I'd like to avoid that if possible.

Is the speedo in an 87 Blazer with a T5 mechanical or electronic? Since I want to get rid of the computer entirely an electronic speedo going through the ECM would complicate things a bit.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 7:06:36 PM EDT
[#1]
You can find almost anything you need to know here www.v8s10.org

I've never done the swap in a 4x4.  I did a 84 2wd a few years ago and I'm working on a 94 2wd now.  I think the biggest issue with a 4x4 is that you need a modified oil pan to clear the cross member.  The speedo drive should be mechanical in 87, but dont quote me on that.

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 7:46:45 PM EDT
[#2]
My coworker put a small block in his '84 S10 Blazer, it originally had the 2.8L V6. I remember it being a disaster and it was not worth the effort at all. I told him to junk the POS when the 2.8 went bad but since his father owned the shop he used one of the 350's we had in the shop. There were many problems doing the swap and I wouldn't recommend it. We used a TH350 with a short tail and also went with a TB fuel injection. Everything that could go wrong went wrong shortly after the swap, he junked the car for chronic problems and all that work was for nothing in the end.

This was about five years ago and I was only involved when they got in trouble, I didn't want to get involved at all but I was obligated. Never again though.

If you want a reliable truck to build don't start with a '87 S10 Blazer.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 7:52:32 PM EDT
[#3]
stock suspension
only thing really required is motor mounts, radiator from a vette, special oilpan and a couple of other miscellaneous parts. Pretty simple actually as far as motor swapping goes
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 8:18:39 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Does spark plug access exist after stuffing in the bigger motor? I'm used to 2 day plug changes in my 97 Z28, but I'd like to avoid that if possible.

should have a ton of room, i know i had to make tools to change the plugs in my 94Z after header install. my moms boyfriend just did it in his sons blazer, too much room under the hood. i almost thought about doin something similar, but i love my p.o.s. camaro.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 11:26:05 PM EDT
[#5]
oneshot,
I'm guessing that the first mistake in that project was deciding to use TBI. My 92 Camaro has TBI and it's hellish. I'll be putting a carb on whatever I get. Fool inject is just too much of a pain to deal with.

twonami,
I fully expected to need at least stiffer springs on the front end, possibly different shocks. Works for me. I'm no good at suspension work. I can do it, but it involves swearing and flinging of tools.

PsyKo,
94s aren't too tough with only one cat. 97s, however, have one cat blocking most of the left side from the bottom, the cowl and steering crap get in the way on the top, and on the right is the alternator. I got 6 done in about 3 hours, then the other two took 6 hours each. Naturally a lot of that was drinking beer and trying to figure out how to get it done, but that's a requirement with these cars

I won't pay more than a grand for this particular truck, but if he takes it I'll drive it as is for a while. First I have to disassemble the RS, rebuild the motor, stack up parts, etc. I'm going to see if the Camaro wheels will work on the S10. Pretty sure they'll fit the hubs, but no idea if they'll fit the tires, and I definately don't want to buy a set of those just to change wheels.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 1:42:22 AM EDT
[#6]
I have been wanting to do an LS1/6sp swap in my 00 sonoma..        

thats on the back burner for a while though
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 11:45:21 AM EDT
[#7]
No offense, but putting a 305 in will gain you very little. The 305 is a slug, and will be even more of a slug in your almost 4000 pound Blazer.

Now, do you have tuned port injection, or throttle body infection injection. If your 305 is a TPI, switching over to the carb would just make your motor less economical and lose it's power curve. About anything is better then throttle body injection.

Ditching the TPI system in favor of a carb is complete down grade.

If your Blazer is an 87, it should have the circular gauges. If it does, I believe it will be mechanical. Double check just to be sure.

Check out v8s10.org as mentioned earlier, although I'm more fond of the 91-93 turbo 6 motors in first generation S-series. (Think GMC Syclone/Typhoon.)
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 12:59:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes, it can be done and with great effect

However, I cannot offer any advice on how to do it. I just know that when you're done, it should look a little something like this:

minus the checker paint job, of course
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 2:08:40 PM EDT
[#9]
I've got a 2wd '89 S-10 with a dead 2.5L 4cyl....
I've been mulling over converting it to a V8 or Buick V6 (I have a running 252ci V6 nowmainly because rwd spec 2.5L engines don't seem to exist in the salvage yards.  Every S-10 & S-10 Blazer I've come across in the salvage yard is either a V6, a beat to hell blown headgasket 4cyl or if the 4cyl is intact the yard wants $$$$$$ for it.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:10:25 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

PsyKo,
94s aren't too tough with only one cat. 97s, however, have one cat blocking most of the left side from the bottom, the cowl and steering crap get in the way on the top, and on the right is the alternator. I got 6 done in about 3 hours, then the other two took 6 hours each. Naturally a lot of that was drinking beer and trying to figure out how to get it done, but that's a requirement with these cars

i swapped my single cat for dual cats off of a 96, and have edelbrock shorties so its a major pain in the ass.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:24:30 PM EDT
[#11]
olds442tyguy,
The 305 is fine as long as you aren't trying to get massive horsepower out of it. I want torque, so it'll do. 350 blocks are impossible to find around here since all the circle track guys are buying them and running them into the ground in 3 races. Right now I have TBI (assuming the TB didn't part company with the manifold today), but I hate fool injection. It's way too bloody expensive, a pain in the ass to tune, and anything that has a transistor or IC has to be in a Faraday cage. I'm looking at an 87 and an 88, leaning strongly towards the 88 right now. Even if everything is electric I can get around it with a box since I seriously doubt any of the speedos went through the computer before around 95. Worst case I'll have to put a set of Autometer gauges in there.

legalese77,
Yup, that would work Wish I still had the 4-71 I stuck on my first car. With the right airbox I could probably fit it under a fairly modest cowl hood.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:37:25 PM EDT
[#12]
I would reccomend Two books written by Mike Knell
1 Chevrolet S-10 Truck V8 Conversion Manual
2 Cheverolet TPI & TBI ENGINE SWAPPING

I have used both of these books to plan and execute v8 transplants on s-10 blazers they are an excellent resource and cover EVERYTHING all of the questions in your origional post . They even have a s-10 with a corvette independent rear in it.  I think I got both of these books from summit racing equipment. They are published & distributed by JTR P.O. box 66 Livermore, Ca 94551-0066  The website the author has is www.JagsThatRun.com  

If you arent in a hurry I would read at least the conversion manual and get a good Idea of what you may be getting into before tearing into it.  Also you would be better off keeping fuel injection unless you enjoy carburator adjustment but that is my opinion. Good luck !
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top