Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/20/2008 5:39:33 PM EDT
Beau Biden leaves for Iraq duty

The Associated Press
Posted : Thursday Nov 20, 2008 10:01:20 EST

WILMINGTON, Del. — Delaware National Guard officials say state Attorney General Beau Biden left the U.S. Wednesday for duty in Iraq.

Guard spokesman Nathan Bright says Biden’s unit left Fort Bliss in El Paso, Texas, and will have a layover in Kuwait to adjust to the climate before traveling to Iraq.

Bright says Biden is a prosecutor for the 261st Signal Brigade and its subordinate units, which contain about 1,200 soldiers.

The unit is due back in Delaware next September.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 5:42:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 5:42:21 PM EDT
[#2]
No disrespect but the dude might as well be in California. He will not "experience" Iraq like the rest of us.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 5:42:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Can one of Bush's people send him to the front?
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 5:43:54 PM EDT
[#4]
He's the pogest of fucking pogs. He is a jag officer and probably the last time he fired an m16 was in basic.

If he had to do the shit I had to do over there, there is no way Biden would let him go over there.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 5:44:28 PM EDT
[#5]
No. He is a lawyer. He will do the same shit as if he were in the states.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 5:48:41 PM EDT
[#6]
What's wrong with you guys?  He's a soldier just like many of us here [>:/]
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 5:50:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
He's the pogest of fucking pogs. He is a jag officer and probably the last time he fired an m16 was in basic.

If he had to do the shit I had to do over there, there is no way Biden would let him go over there.

Big fucking +1.

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 5:51:25 PM EDT
[#8]
I guess I'm the odd ball that doesn't like to see our soldiers killed no matter their politics

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 5:51:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Jesus Christ. How about a little respect for his service?

I'll bet if he were an ARFCOM member here you'd all be thanking him.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 5:53:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Service is service. STFU.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 5:59:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Service is service. Respect is earned.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:03:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Can one of Bush's people send him to the front?

He will be on a flight home Jan.21st so why bother.  I hope he gets to eat alone a lot in the chow hall.

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:05:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Except he'll be doing it in Iraq. Not everyone can be a shooter. He's serving our country in uniform.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:06:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Yup.

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:06:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

So is disrespect, and Beau Biden sure as fuck hasn't earned any of what he's getting in this thread.  It's not his fault his daddy's a tool, and unlike the children of a lot of other politicians, he's at least serving his country.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:07:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

No shit, in basic training the Drill Sergeants love to hammer in that you are just a fucking private and have done NOTHING. This dude's only sacrifice is he is going to be 6000 miles away. He will never be shot at, he won't EVER have to carry a gun over there. He is probably stationed WELL within the confines of BIAP where NO enemy rockets can reach. That goes for everyone who is a JAG or whatever. It's a good career decision, that is about it, not much sacrifice there.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:09:16 PM EDT
[#17]
I don't care whose son he is.  He is a member of the armed forces being sent along with his unit into a war zone.

Good luck to his unit, and him.

ETA: Son does not always = the father.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:12:12 PM EDT
[#18]
I hope he doesn't get too bad of a sunburn over there
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:12:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

So is disrespect, and Beau Biden sure as fuck hasn't earned any of what he's getting in this thread.  It's not his fault his daddy's a tool, and unlike the children of a lot of other politicians, he's at least serving his country.

Palin's son is the son of a politician. He joined the infantry. Respect is earned.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:27:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I guess I'm the odd ball that doesn't like to see our soldiers killed no matter their politics

You're not odd.  I doubt anyone here wants to see any American in harm's way.  As an air-mobile combat lawyer, I doubt he'll go anywhere near trouble.

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:31:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Like all of America's sons (and daughters) over doing their duty, I hope he gets home in one piece.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:31:57 PM EDT
[#22]
He is a prosecutor;who is he going to prosecute?
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:33:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Well, so much for supporting the troops...

Pretty easy to criticize a guy for being too far from the front when you're posting from your basement recroom/bunker.

(To those that that coment does not apply, that comment does not apply).

FOR THE RECORD BEAU IS A DOUCHE IMHO - he's a lobbyist for the credit card companies and helped get the bankruptcy laws changed so people can't get rid of their CC debt.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:37:28 PM EDT
[#24]
And they said that PALIN'S kids had weird names.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:38:28 PM EDT
[#25]
God bless him for his service. Stay safe! He will be in my thoughts and prayers along with all other service members.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:38:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Staged Calley incident to get us out quick?
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:39:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Does anybody know what his politics are like?
It would be kinda funny to think a major liberal goes to Iraq, even if it's in the safest place in Iraq, while some guys in this thread who are totally capable of enlisting choose to not be bothered by some silly little "Self sacrifice"
That would be kinda funny wouldn't it?
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:40:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Palin's son is the son of a politician. He joined the infantry. Respect is earned.

Noted.  No service member deserves respect unless they're a trigger puller.  Gotcha.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:41:19 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No shit, in basic training the Drill Sergeants love to hammer in that you are just a fucking private and have done NOTHING. This dude's only sacrifice is he is going to be 6000 miles away. He will never be shot at, he won't EVER have to carry a gun over there. He is probably stationed WELL within the confines of BIAP where NO enemy rockets can reach. That goes for everyone who is a JAG or whatever. It's a good career decision, that is about it, not much sacrifice there.
You have no idea what you are talking about.

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:45:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Its not all about shooting.

Someone has to sell candy bars, someone has to do laundry and someone has to handle the legalities.

For every shooter over there, there are 10+ people supporting him.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:46:34 PM EDT
[#31]
God speed, lad, and I hope you're not a douchecanoe like your father.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:47:06 PM EDT
[#32]
I thank him for his service.  His dad is a chump though.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:47:50 PM EDT
[#33]
WTF is wrong with some of you guys?

As a current deployed SM myself I fully acknowledge that the guy running patrols everyday see's a whole different side of the war than the guy who mans the radio in the TOC.  

But every job is critical, He still volunteered to serve his nation in a time of war.  and he's answering that call which is more than can be said of some.

If we where to believe some of you guys the whole armed forces should be an 11B or combat arms.  The military needs cooks, lawyers, chemical officers, Logistical Officers, and every other Combat Service and Combat Service Support MOS their is.  If we didn't have soldiers to fill these positions, than the guy at the point of the spear would never get his bullets, or chow, or have his pay straighened out, or his will taken care of.

It may not be a glorious job, but it is critical to the function of the greatest army on earth that we have brave Americans to fill the ranks.  He voluntered just like the rest of us.  And he didn't chose his Branch, he got to fill out his "wish list"  just like any other commisoned officer, but in the end DA and Uncle Sam chose his branch.  

So lighten up, cut the man some slack, he can't be blamed for his fathers politics.

And wether or not you think he deserves it, respect him for the fact that he puts on the uniform, and swore an oath to protect and defend the constitution, and is demostrating his willingness to do so by deploying with his unit to a Combat Zone.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:49:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Why do we hear about this REMF and we hear nothing about McCains sons ?
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:52:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Oh really...

Somehow I don't think anyone's going to mortar/rocket post legal back in the states...

Fobbits may see less war... But it's still war....

The guy who gets blown up by an IED, and the guy who's bus gets hit by a Chinese arty rocket are both equally dead...
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:58:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
He is a prosecutor;who is he going to prosecute?

Probably all those troops that 'are just air raiding villages and killing civilians'.
j/k Couldn't resist an Obama shot though.

Hopefully he comes back safe. Every job in the Mil is just as important as the other.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 7:01:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
And they said that PALIN'S kids had weird names.

Hey!
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 7:05:12 PM EDT
[#38]

Well, seeing as how my fat ass is just comfortably sitting here in this chair while I'm typing unsolicited ramblings on the internet and Beau Biden is departing for a war zone in the service of his country...

I guess I'd be an ungrateful shitheel for not thanking him for his service and sacrifice.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 7:17:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Beau Biden leaves for Iraq duty

The Associated Press
Posted : Thursday Nov 20, 2008 10:01:20 EST

WILMINGTON, Del. — Delaware National Guard officials say state Attorney General Beau Biden left the U.S. Wednesday for duty in Iraq.

Guard spokesman Nathan Bright says Biden’s unit left Fort Bliss in El Paso, Texas, and will have a layover in Kuwait to adjust to the climate before traveling to Iraq.

Bright says Biden is a prosecutor for the 261st Signal Brigade and its subordinate units, which contain about 1,200 soldiers.

The unit is due back in Delaware next September.

That's a pretty charitable expression for layover time in Kuwait - I've always considered it sit around in purgatory and hope you can catch the next flight to wherever you're going so you can get the fuck out of Kuwait time.  Thank god AP is around to define that time as a healthy climate transition as opposed to the life sucking, frustrating experience that it has a history of being........

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 7:20:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Noted.  No service member deserves respect unless they're a trigger puller.  Gotcha.

Some Soldiers sacrifice way more than others.  So yeah, I hold my highest level of respect for "trigger pullers" and not the assholes in the rear that stole our boots.

You're welcome.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 7:21:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Much of this thread is an absolute disgrace.  We have a volunteer military service and this guy volunteered his time to do what he can to serve us all.  He wears the uniform of the United States of America and deserve respect.  I have no doubt there are JAG officers on this board and if any of them were treated in this manner, most of you would be calling for a ban.

This is utterly disgusting and unbecoming Americans.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 7:22:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
What's wrong with you guys?  He's a soldier just like many of us here [>:/]

+1
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 7:24:32 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 7:25:00 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some Soldiers sacrifice way more than others.  So yeah, I hold my highest level of respect for "trigger pullers" and not the assholes in the rear that stole our boots.

You're welcome.

Well, this guy is a reservist, so he doesn't sacrifice as many as others, but others aren't.  Do you know what new lawyers sacrifice pay wise to be JAGs?  I want to say initial pay is around 48k.  Do you know what a person who makes JAG can make private practice?  A lot more than 48k.  They aren't always putting their lives on the line (though many are and have), but they choose to do with less so they can serve their country.  That deserves respect.

And just in case the response is "we don't need lawyers on the battlefield," guess what?  General Washington had military lawyers on his staff.  They've been a part of war for centuries and represent the fact that we, the West, are better.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 7:25:12 PM EDT
[#45]
CoC #7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top