Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/12/2005 11:05:20 AM EDT
biz.yahoo.com/prnews/051012/dcw057.html?.v=24

Violence Policy Center Urges Washington Redskins to Withdraw From Shooting Fundraiser With National Rifle Association as NRA Lobbies on Capitol Hill to Overturn D.C.'s Gun Laws
Wednesday October 12, 2:38 pm ET
Redskins/NRA Event Announced Same Month That NRA's Magazine Attacks D.C. Mayor Williams and Police Chief Ramsey

WASHINGTON, Oct. 12 /PRNewswire/ -- The Violence Policy Center, a Washington, D.C.-based national non-profit organization working to reduce gun death and injury, today sent Washington Redskins owner Daniel M. Snyder a letter urging him to "end all participation" by the Washington Redskins in a planned shooting event with the National Rifle Association on October 25, 2005, to benefit the Washington Redskins Charitable Foundation (the text of the letter is below and is available at http://www.vpc.org/vpcletter.pdf).

The letter notes that the National Rifle Association is currently lobbying Congress to overturn Washington, D.C.'s gun laws. The bills to repeal the District of Columbia's gun laws promoted by the NRA would: legalize handguns as well as semiautomatic assault weapons and 50 caliber sniper rifles; allow any person to carry, openly or concealed, loaded handguns and other concealable firearms in houses, places of business, or other land "possessed by that person"; and, severely weaken the District's ban on armor-piercing handgun ammunition.

Citing the Washington Redskins Charitable Foundation's dedication to the "health and wellness" of youth, and the price exacted on D.C. children and teens by gun violence, the letter urges the Redskins and the Washington Redskins Charitable Foundation to end all participation in this event, stating, "The Washington Redskins Charitable Foundation's involvement with an organization whose mission is to repeal Washington D.C.'s gun laws cannot be reconciled with the mission of the foundation."

The NRA-backed legislation is vigorously opposed by Mayor Anthony Williams, Metropolitan Police Department Chief Charles Ramsey, and D.C. Delegate Eleanor Holmes Norton and also stands, according to the letter, "as an outrageous attack by an outside special interest group on the home rule rights of D.C. residents."

The September 19, 2005, announcement by the Redskins of the NRA shooting event (see http://www.redskins.com/community/communitynews.jsp?id=494) comes the same month that the cover of the NRA's America's 1st Freedom magazine features "Washington's Newest Monument," an imagined "monument" consisting of a giant tombstone marked "Washington, D.C., America's Murder Capital." The tombstone is covered with skulls and faces of the dead. Inside, a two-page photograph of Mayor Anthony Williams holding up his hands while making a point has the headline and caption, "D.C. to Criminals: We Surrender! The mayor of Washington, D.C., the Murder Capital of the U.S. for 14 of the last 15 years, strikes a telling pose as he defends D.C.'s absurd gun laws." The article then goes on to attack Mayor Williams and Chief Ramsey (see http://www.vpc.org/nradcarticle.pdf for a copy of the article).

VPC Executive Director Josh Sugarmann states, "We hope that after reviewing the facts surrounding the National Rifle Association's attempts to undermine public safety in Washington, D.C., Mr. Snyder will do what is best for the Redskins and their fans in the District of Columbia by ending all participation by the team and its foundation in this event."

The Violence Policy Center is a national educational organization working to stop gun death and injury in America. For more information, please visit http://www.vpc.org.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 11:10:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Here's the shooting event:

www.redskins.com/community/communitynews.jsp?id=494

ooooh, Trap and Skeet, that's SCARY!

-------------------

The Redskins will host the inaugural Redskins Sporting Clays Challenge, presented by NRA Sports, on Tuesday, Oct. 25, with the proceeds benefiting the team's Charitable Foundation.

This event will take place at the Prince George's County Trap & Skeet Center. It will feature current and former Redskins players and coaches, placed with teams of four competitors for a day of sporting clays.

All levels of experience are welcome to join in. Instruction and all necessary equipment will be provided and a mandatory safety training session will launch the event.

Sporting Clays is a clay pigeon shooting sport. The sport differs from skeet and trap shooting in that it involves shooting clays at various locations which are launched at different velocities and angles.

Play is similar to golfing as each "station" in sporting clays is comparable to a "hole" on the golf course. Participants travel from station to station, each being unique with various levels of difficulty.

For more information, call 703-726-7111. Space is limited so reserve your spot today.

Proceeds from the Redskins Sporting Clays Challenge will benefit the five signature programs of the Washington Redskins Charitable Foundation.

Founded by Redskins Owner Daniel M. Snyder, the mission of the Charitable Foundation is to utilize the assets of the Washington Redskins and its corporate and community partners to make a positive and measurable impact on youth in the greater Washington, D.C. region in the areas of literacy, youth development, education, community service and health and wellness.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 11:14:01 AM EDT
[#2]
I wonder if the Redskins management will cave in to their idiotic demands?
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 11:20:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Tag! Sounds like a fun event! Hopefully I can make it!

-Foxxz
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 11:22:23 AM EDT
[#4]
tag
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 11:30:08 AM EDT
[#5]

The Violence Policy Center, a Washington, D.C.-based national non-profit organization working to reduce gun death and injury,

Could they at least try to appear non-biased?
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 11:38:44 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

The Violence Policy Center, a Washington, D.C.-based national non-profit organization working to reduce gun death and injury,

Could they at least try to appear non-biased?

Should read:

The Violence Policy Center, a Washington, D.C.-based national non-profit organization working to reduce guns death and injury,
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 12:04:08 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The NRA-backed legislation is vigorously opposed by Mayor Anthony Williams, Metropolitan Police Department Chief Charles Ramsey, and D.C. Delegate Eleanor Holmes Norton and also stands, according to the letter, "as an outrageous attack by an outside special interest group on the home rule rights of D.C. residents."

I think the NRA has touched on a raw nerve.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 12:08:32 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Looks to be that way. I love it when they cause trouble.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 12:13:52 PM EDT
[#9]
The question is, does the NRA want to be associated with an organization that has a name that ticks off Native Americans? Very non PC.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 12:14:38 PM EDT
[#10]
ain't lame if it works!
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 12:30:21 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
The question is, does the NRA want to be associated with an organization that has a name that ticks off Native Americans? Very non PC.

The name doesn't tick off Native Americans; it ticks of loopy leftist dogooder white liberals who assume it ticks off Native Americans.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 12:42:32 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The name doesn't tick off Native Americans; it ticks of loopy leftist dogooder white liberals who assume it ticks off Native Americans.

Dunno about the rest of you guys, but I'm 1/8th Appalachian and 1/8th Cherokee, and I don't give a shit what people call it, I'm American  I know for a fact my relatives/ancestors would've felt the same, too.  You'd think the VPC would've gotten bored by now, the 1994 ban didn't work, we have Brady, felons are NOT getting guns via legal sources because the background checks are working (even though in some cases, they are interfering with the rights of some individuals, like people who haven't been allowed to purchase guns because of traffic violations, etc).  Guns aren't the problem (I know, I'm stating the obvious), the problem is that we have dumbasses who manage to get away with being...well, dumbasses.  The problem is when said dumbasses gets ahold of a gun and does some dumbass thing with it, then it makes all us non-dumbasses look like dumbasses.  "HEEEEY it's a GUN... guns make people do dumbass things..."  
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 12:45:56 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
"HEEEEY it's a GUN... guns make people do dumbass things..."  

Well.....They do.
I drove around the countryside for an hour and a half today trying to find a gun range, and once I found it trying to find the main office to sign up. Even went so far as going into the Post Office to get directions, then being referred to the court house. Went there too. Also flagged down a cop, who drove by me and waved.

Now I dunno about you, but that all sounds pretty dumbass to me.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 12:57:27 PM EDT
[#14]
if the redskins "stick to their guns" i just might have a new favorite sports team.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 1:03:36 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Looks to be that way. I love it when they cause trouble.

Its funny when they think it is outrageous that an outside interest group is sticking their nose into their business,  but don't mind telling other people they can't have a gun to protect themselves.  Did D.C. Residents vote on this law to ban guns or did the district just decide to do it on their own?
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 1:12:47 PM EDT
[#16]
The NRA should get these going with all the sports, the sort-of sports (like WWF) and especially the sports of violence.  Nothing like a little irony when the VPC appeals to the UFC to not join in an NRA sponsored event because of some violence issue.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 1:49:13 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

The letter notes that the National Rifle Association is currently lobbying Congress to overturn Washington, D.C.'s gun laws. The bills to repeal the District of Columbia's gun laws promoted by the NRA would: legalize handguns as well as semiautomatic assault weapons and 50 caliber sniper rifles; allow any person to carry, openly or concealed, loaded handguns and other concealable firearms in houses, places of business, or other land "possessed by that person"; and, severely weaken the District's ban on armor-piercing handgun ammunition.

First, I hate when those asshats use the completely fabricated term "semiautomatic assault weapons", grrrr, I really want to do vile things to them.

Second, this bullshit about "allow any person" is just that.  They fail to mention the background checks just to buy the damn things.  Their lies of ommission are very aggravating.

I also doubt that even if the current DC laws are repealed, there would be open carry.

Of course the predictable "50 caliber sniper rifles".

Did I miss any cliches?  These people are so infuriating!
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 1:50:33 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
"HEEEEY it's a GUN... guns make people do dumbass things..."  

Well.....They do.
I drove around the countryside for an hour and a half today trying to find a gun range, and once I found it trying to find the main office to sign up. Even went so far as going into the Post Office to get directions, then being referred to the court house. Went there too. Also flagged down a cop, who drove by me and waved.

Now I dunno about you, but that all sounds pretty dumbass to me.

Well, that's just you.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 2:04:40 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
biz.yahoo.com/prnews/051012/dcw057.html?.v=24
"We hope that after reviewing the facts surrounding the National Rifle Association's attempts to undermine public safety in Washington, D.C. .... "

Link Posted: 10/12/2005 2:15:51 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 2:27:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Since the VPC is so concerned about home rule in D.C., I'm sure it (the VPC) won't be involving itself in any other state legislature to toughen gun laws.

Link Posted: 10/12/2005 3:03:46 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

That was a lame joke, right?  The NRA IS the epitome of non-PC.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top