Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/22/2005 11:47:42 AM EDT
The Violence Policy Center (www.vpc.org - keep cold) has not had anything to say as of late.  Is this a good thing or a bad thing?  Are they cooking up some new nonsense?

I remember on the DU gun control forum that ideas were being passed around for more effective means of gun control - effective in that they banned scary guns incrementally.  The idea was to ban guns and ammunition that were above a certain power threshold measured in muzzle energy.  The original limit was to be placed around the energy level of a .50 BMG and then move downward by a few percent each year, gradually phasing out the big bore long distance cartridges and eventually the evil assault weapons.  

Do you think they are just defeated?
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:49:20 AM EDT
[#1]
In a very real sense, yes, they are defeated.

Doesn't mean they're not going to go away, though.

Gun control has bitten them in the ass ever since 1994.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:54:18 AM EDT
[#2]
It is not possible for the VPC to be TOO quiet.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 12:00:05 PM EDT
[#3]
They should retire their 'pet issue' and direct their energy at illegal immigration.

Illegal immigrants probably kill more people and are involved in more crime every year than legally owner "assault weapons" or other legally owned guns.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 12:00:39 PM EDT
[#4]
They are just in remission.

-green
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 12:06:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Check out their site: they have a new plan for guns during hurricanes!!!!! I really love these guys, they make me feel so safe at night.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 12:12:58 PM EDT
[#6]
The VPC is dead.  Thier money has long since dried up and the "gun issue" is now seen as a total loser to Democratic strategists.  They aren't even getting thier phone calls returned from Feinstien.

Stick a fork in 'em......they're done.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 12:16:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 12:18:11 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Check out their site: they have a new plan for guns during hurricanes!!!!! I really love these guys, they make me feel so safe at night.

Emergency officials who prepared Louisiana's plan for responding to a major hurricane never guessed that one of their duties would be to protect aid workers from gunmen, one of the state's senior disaster officials said Monday....

No disaster planner, he said, predicted that people would loot gun stores after the storm and shoot at police, rescue officials and helicopters."

"Disaster official at NY symposium: Planners didn't anticipate gun problem after Katrina," Associated Press, September 12, 2005

Why why why is it so damn hard for the expert planners to come up with the obvious?  WTF?

Expert disaster planners...right.  I wouldn't trust these fucking retards to look after my cat (i.e. fill food dish and maybe clean box) while I was gone for the weekend.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 12:23:01 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Emergency officials who prepared Louisiana's plan for responding to a major hurricane never guessed that one of their duties would be to protect aid workers from gunmen, one of the state's senior disaster officials said Monday....

No disaster planner, he said, predicted that people would loot gun stores after the storm and shoot at police, rescue officials and helicopters."

"Disaster official at NY symposium: Planners didn't anticipate gun problem after Katrina," Associated Press, September 12, 2005

Why why why is it so damn hard for the expert planners to come up with the obvious?  WTF?

Would YOU think of that?  It's common sense that looters would steal guns and anything else in the stores (except the country & western music).  The guns would be used to commit crimes and used against rival gang members.  But could ANYONE have predicted that those who were sent down there to rescue folks would come under fire?
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 12:24:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 12:25:48 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Would YOU think of that?  It's common sense that looters would steal guns and anything else in the stores (except the country & western music).  The guns would be used to commit crimes and used against rival gang members.  But could ANYONE have predicted that those who were sent down there to rescue folks would come under fire?

There are plenty of 'hoods where fire and ambulance won't respond until police are on scene for just this reason.  It happens when there isn't a disaster.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 12:27:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 12:42:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 12:46:08 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
It's common sense that looters would steal guns and anything else in the stores (except the country & western music).  

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 12:47:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 1:03:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top