BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/13/2006 2:56:56 PM EDT
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
FEBRUARY 13, 2006
1:16 PM

Marty Langley
202-822-8200 ext. 109

Cheney Shooting Latest Addition to Hundreds of Thousands of Americans Injured and Killed by Guns During Bush Administration

WASHINGTON - February 13 - Saturday’s shooting of a fellow hunter by Vice President Dick Cheney was just one more addition to the more than quarter million Americans who have been injured by firearms during President George W. Bush’s tenure. From 2001 through 2004, the most recent year available, 252,076 Americans were injured by firearms according to federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Center (CDC) data. From 2001 through 2003, the most recent year available, nearly 30,000 Americans a year were killed by firearms according to information from the CDC’s National Center for Injury Prevention and Control.

Unlike the administrations of George Herbert Walker Bush and Bill Clinton, both of which supported gun control measures such as banning assault weapons, the current Bush Administration has, in fact, allowed measures like the federal assault weapons ban to expire while at the same time rolling back other portions of federal gun control policy.

Cheney has been the Administration’s most vocal pro-gun voice, addressing the National Rifle Association’s Annual Meeting in 2004. In his speech to NRA members, Cheney described himself and President Bush as “lifelong gun owners, hunters, and anglers—and strong believers in the Bill of Rights of the Constitution. Like many of you, I grew up close to the land, learned from my dad how to handle a gun, and still look forward to every chance to join up with friends to go hunting.” (Please see http://www.vpc.org/cheney.htm for a copy of the speech from the NRA’s America’s 1st Freedom Magazine.)

Josh Sugarmann, Violence Policy Center executive director states, “The Cheney shooting punctures the pro-gun argument that `knowing guns’ and `having respect for guns’ are enough to overcome the inherent hazards of firearms. Vice President Cheney’s victim is now just one more sad statistic in America’s annual gun toll.”

###

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 2:59:37 PM EDT
[#1]

Cheney Shooting Latest Addition to Hundreds of Thousands of Americans Injured and Killed by Guns During Bush Administration

I am sure all of those were hunting accidents too, right

Fucking idiots
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:03:17 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
FEBRUARY 13, 2006

Marty Langley
202-822-8200 ext. 109

I forgot that no one was injured or killed during the 8 years that Clinton was in office.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:04:42 PM EDT
[#3]
"News Flash!!!!!"  

No one in the history of the United States has ever been injured by accidental shootings prior to the  year 2000!

Film at eleven.

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:15:30 PM EDT
[#4]
They're really grasping at straws now, aren't they?

From Chenys hunting accident, they manage to work in the bogus "30,000" killed figure and assault weapons ban.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:21:31 PM EDT
[#5]
I am one of those who have been injured by guns during the Bush Administration.  It seems that every time I shoot a box of .357 magnum, I get a slightly sore wrist.  Also, when I shoot semi-automatic hanguns I sometimes get a small bloody area on my thumb.  IT IS BUSH'S FAULT!  
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:22:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Vehicle Policy Center releases info that says "cars can kill". "No one was ever killed before cars came along" says the Center Director Hemmi Roid. They are very dangerous and even tho they have revolutionized travel and life in general they are dangerous items. Therefore, we should not own vehicles and only ride asses and whorses.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:25:21 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I am one of those who have been injured by guns during the Bush Administration.  It seems that every time I shoot a box of .357 magnum, I get a slightly sore wrist.  Also, when I shoot semi-automatic hanguns I sometimes get a small bloody area on my thumb.  IT IS BUSH'S FAULT!  

+1 Full house loads in my .357s and .44s irritate the shit out of my arthritis. My hand swells up and hurts all the next day. I love it.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:25:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Dick Cheney accidentally pops a guy with a O/U shotgun, and that's a case for renewing the AWB?

Yeah, I know...liberals and logic are like farts and elevators...
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:28:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Why are they even allowed to comment on it? It was in no way violence-related in the first place.

BTW, the VPC doesn't seem to be too concerned about Mr. Whittington's ("Vice President Cheney’s victim") condition. In fact, they don't even seem to know his name.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:31:13 PM EDT
[#10]
The sky is falling!  Or not.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:34:05 PM EDT
[#11]
I KNEW they were gonna spin it-

These guns are SO deadly even the VP can't safely handle one so why should anyone have them
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:37:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Ban Perazzi shotguns....for the children!
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:37:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Maybe this will wake up those hunters who think they're somehow bulletproof from the anti-gun lobby.

Surely VPC isn't advocating a shotgun ban?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:39:53 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Maybe this will wake up those hunters who think they're somehow bulletproof from the anti-gun lobby.

No but they will call for registration, tests, safety courses up the wazoo, mandatory trigger locks, you know the European/ Kalifornia treatment.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:41:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Did he really blast the guy, or did he just get "peppered"(shot falling from sky powered by gravity) like a lot of people do when bird hunting....?

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:41:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Why is the VPC blaming Bush for "more gun crime" from 2001 to 2003 when the AW ban was still in effect then?

Why doesn't the VPC post the real information about guns and crime lets say going back to 1994 when they got their much loved assault weapons ban.  Here I'll do it for them.  hmmm, seems to be dropping like a rock.  So where is this spike in gun crime the VPC is trying to blame on Bush?

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:42:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Anything in there about the half million killed by muzzle loaders under the Lincoln admistration?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:42:33 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
FEBRUARY 13, 2006

Marty Langley
202-822-8200 ext. 109

WASHINGTON - February 13 - Saturday’s shooting of a fellow hunter by Vice President Dick Cheney was just one more addition to the more than quarter million Americans who have been injured by firearms during President George W. Bush’s tenure. From 2001 through 2004, the most recent year available, 252,076 Americans were injured by firearms according to federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Center (CDC) data. From 2001 through 2003, the most recent year available, nearly 30,000 Americans a year were killed by firearms according to information from the CDC’s National Center for Injury Prevention and Control.

Unlike the administrations of George Herbert Walker Bush and Bill Clinton, both of which supported gun control measures such as banning assault weapons, the current Bush Administration has, in fact, allowed measures like the federal assault weapons ban to expire while at the same time rolling back other portions of federal gun control policy.

Cheney has been the Administration’s most vocal pro-gun voice, addressing the National Rifle Association’s Annual Meeting in 2004. In his speech to NRA members, Cheney described himself and President Bush as “lifelong gun owners, hunters, and anglers—and strong believers in the Bill of Rights of the Constitution. Like many of you, I grew up close to the land, learned from my dad how to handle a gun, and still look forward to every chance to join up with friends to go hunting.” (Please see http://www.vpc.org/cheney.htm for a copy of the speech from the NRA’s America’s 1st Freedom Magazine.)

Josh Sugarmann, Violence Policy Center executive director states, “The Cheney shooting punctures the pro-gun argument that `knowing guns’ and `having respect for guns’ are enough to overcome the inherent hazards of firearms. Vice President Cheney’s victim is now just one more sad statistic in America’s annual gun toll.”

###

WTF????

Now shotguns are assault weapons?

And think, all sheeple go for this hook,line, and sinker.

Very sad

Travis
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:43:27 PM EDT
[#19]
If I had shot another Redneck while we were hunting it wouldn't make the news here.

Cauze neither of us Rednecks r anybody famous!

Danny

Prepare for this to get blown out of proportion, in 3-2-1....
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:59:13 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No but they will call for registration, tests, safety courses up the wazoo, mandatory trigger locks, you know the European/ Kalifornia treatment.

Which hunters won't mind.
Owning firearms is a hobby to them, not a birthright.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:03:55 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
They're really grasping at straws now, aren't they?

From Chenys hunting accident, they manage to work in the bogus "30,000" killed figure and assault weapons ban.

Lets talk about automobile deaths and that number will be much higher the claimed 30K.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:15:46 PM EDT
[#22]
I hate being peppered with birdshot! Dang ole ass-ault shotguns! It stings just slightly worse than getting a hot 338 win mag shell down the back of my shirt! Ban hot brass! Do it for the children!
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:17:39 PM EDT
[#23]
I've been peppered by bird shot before... it isn't all that strange.

Only 3 pieces of shot actually drew blood, but still, it shows they are pretty desperate to release a statement like this one.

I hate journalists.

- BG

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:32:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Cheney's negligence was certainly bad for the administration and gun owners.  It creates the illusion that even wealthy educated Republican gun owners are still just careless rednecks at heart.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:33:42 PM EDT
[#25]
New ghetto bumper sticker:

"The Vice President's shotgun has hurt more people than my Loricin."
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:33:44 PM EDT
[#26]

I can't  breathe!

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:36:52 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Can it?

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:39:21 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
New ghetto bumper sticker:

"The Vice President's shotgun has hurt more people than my Loricin."

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:40:23 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Can it?

If they can turn it into some kind of scandal they will.

Theres nothing there to work with though, so no.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:40:37 PM EDT
[#30]
No one's listening to the VPC anyways.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:42:45 PM EDT
[#31]
The SADDEST thing is I'm not even surprised or amazed anymore when they manage to turn a simple accident involving the most "sporting" of weapons into a justification for the renewal of the AWB...

It f*cking terrifies me that anyone is ignorant enough to fall for this shit.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:48:17 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Anything in there about the half million killed by muzzle loaders under the Lincoln admistration?

That was Bush's fault, too.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:48:52 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Can it?

Are you suggesting that this IS a big deal and that the VPC is right?

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:58:09 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
...a simple accident...

A simple accident is you tree stand breaks and you fall on your own arrow.  Pointing your shotgun at your hunting partner then pulling the trigger is no accident.  It negligence, unless there was some precurser such as a slip & fall which caused the gun to fire by mechanical malfunction.

I cant believe some people on this board dont understand the difference between accidental discharge and negligent discharge.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:58:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:59:20 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Can it?

Are you suggesting that this IS a big deal...

Yes. Negligently shooting your hunting partner is a big deal.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 12:32:23 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Can it?

Are you suggesting that this IS a big deal and that the VPC is right?

I'm not suggesting anything. I'm just sure they can put a spin on this that could bite us in the butt later on.

Like if the VP can't be safe with firearms, surely the people can't.

That's all, it's just a thing.

Danny
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:44:00 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
No one's listening to the VPC anyways.

Sure there is.
Both of them.    
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:46:40 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

A simple accident is you tree stand breaks and you fall on your own arrow.  Pointing your shotgun at your hunting partner then pulling the trigger is no accident.  It negligence,

Your version is different than the one I have read. I read his partner passed him in tall grass w/o telling him where he was. IOW, Cheney didn't know he was ahead of him. If so, exactly how is this "negligence"???????????
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:51:06 PM EDT
[#40]
on the radio this morning they were saying the shooting was like 3 feet away, so it was not a peppering, it was a shooting and the "spray" would have been the size of a pie plate....

BULLSHIT.....and besides, it was like 30 yards away....and if that is the case, I would say it was a peppering...

ETA: I agree, it is still negligence...
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:37:54 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A simple accident is you tree stand breaks and you fall on your own arrow.  Pointing your shotgun at your hunting partner then pulling the trigger is no accident.  It negligence,

Your version is different than the one I have read. I read his partner passed him in tall grass w/o telling him where he was. IOW, Cheney didn't know he was ahead of him. If so, exactly how is this "negligence"???????????

Did Cheney believe he was hunting alone and shot another hunter who he did not know was in the area?  No.  He shot his hunting partner.  Someone he is supposed to know the location of before pulling the trigger.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:56:43 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Did Cheney believe he was hunting alone and shot another hunter who he did not know was in the area?  No.  He shot his hunting partner.  Someone he is supposed to know the location of before pulling the trigger.

No, his partner was on his right in line with him.  Whittington had been getting birds in a different area and then approached the other two out of the sun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top