Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2004 10:10:20 AM EDT
What's with these shirts I see Planet Hollywood and P. Diddy peddling that say, "VOTE OR DIE"?

Is this some kind of liberal scare tactic by saying the draft will return or somehow Bush will kill us all?
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 4:30:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Months later and I still don't get this phrase.

Can any of you hip-hop types elaborate?
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 4:31:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Somebody diddn't watch South Park last night.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 4:32:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 10:10:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes I know and love that SP episode.  I was talking about the P Diddy thing, though. I guess no one really knows what it means
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 10:13:22 PM EDT
[#5]
I dont think anyone knows, I expect it was chosen because that thought it would catch someones attention
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 10:19:21 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Yes I know and love that SP episode.  I was talking about the P Diddy thing, though. I guess no one really knows what it means

it's an attempt by P. Diddy and the democrats to get out the 'hip-hop vote' (and by 'hip-hop vote' i mean dumbass white AND black kids)
it's short so it's easy to remember for those that can't read. like "bling-bling!"
it's an extreme over-simplification, so it doesn't take any real thought to understand.
it gives the 'hip-hoppers' something to say when there is an actual political debate going on.

this was used in the course of a mock debate here on campus, i kid you not. there was a discussion going on about the US image abroad, and a large female student jumps to her feet and screeches, "Vote or Die! whut whut?!?!" much to the joy of the few other hip-hoppers that were there, who seconded her statement with yells of dave chappelle-esque "yeah!" and "tell 'em sista!"
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 10:20:45 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

it's an attempt by P. Diddy and the democrats to get out the 'hip-hop vote' (and by 'hip-hop vote' i mean dumbass white AND black kids)
it's short so it's easy to remember for those that can't read. like "bling-bling!"
it's an extreme over-simplification, so it doesn't take any real thought to understand.
it gives the 'hip-hoppers' something to say when there is an actual political debate going on.

this was used in the course of a mock debate here on campus, i kid you not. there was a discussion going on about the US image abroad, and a large female student jumps to her feet and screeches, "Vote or Die! whut whut?!?!" much to the joy of the few other hip-hoppers that were there, who seconded her statement with yells of dave chappelle-esque "yeah!" and "tell 'em sista!"

Yeah, that sounds about right!
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 10:24:40 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Holla!!!!
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 3:01:19 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Months later and I still don't get this phrase.

Can any of you hip-hop types elaborate?

+1

Are P. Diddy and gang going to "drive by" your house if you don't vote???

Link Posted: 10/29/2004 3:15:48 AM EDT
[#10]
What it means is if you don't get off your young punk ass and vote for GWB to ensure his win, that faggot girly man Kerry will be the next president and the terrorists will have carte blanc open season on Americans. You do know that those raghead terrorist pigs live to avenge the deaths of their moon-worshipping, goat humping family members, don't you?
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 3:25:00 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
What it means is if you don't get off your young punk ass and vote for GWB to ensure his win, that faggot girly man Kerry will be the next president and the terrorists will have carte blanc open season on Americans. You do know that those raghead terrorist pigs live to avenge the deaths of their moon-worshipping, goat humping family members, don't you?

Could you say that a little looser ??

Link Posted: 10/29/2004 3:37:32 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Somebody diddn't watch South Park last night.

Vote Bitch or I'll F***ING kill you!
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 3:43:48 AM EDT
[#13]
I was wondering that too.

I figure it's either:

A play on the old phrase like Skate or Die (anything you love really)
or
Like already mentioned vote Bush and you'll go to war and die (ahh ya, what ever )
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 4:21:39 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks for bringing back memories of why I used to rant about college admissions standards.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 4:27:03 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually, P. Diddy isn't advocating any particular party, at least that's what he was saying on the interview they did with him on Fox News during one of the Presidential debates.  He said that his message was to motivate young people to take control of their lives through the democratic process.  He said that he didn't care who you voted for, you just needed to vote.

That being said, I think P. Diddy is a worthless punk, but you've got to respect the message.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 4:30:02 AM EDT
[#16]
I saw one of his commercials. He said something like "I don't care who you vote for, just go out and vote".
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 4:31:10 AM EDT
[#17]
Its a play on the old Skate or Die thing. I actually went through New Yawk last weekend and couldn't help but take note of all the signs they've got posted up everywhere. I have to admit it made me smile to see the message.

I guess I just remember that children's video they used to show us about how the right to vote could be taken away if not exercised. I really do hope this is the largest election turnout in history.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 5:14:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Of course they care who you vote for. Who the hell do you think all these youngsters are going to vote for. All the Urban/hip-hop radio stations have been playing DNC and third party adds against GW. And the ones that are pro-GW and RNC ads, well they don't play to fears to well like the other adds do. They just tell the truth, like how the dems have done more over the last decade or three to hurt minority communities than the rpubs have. But most people in the target demographic won't hear that because all they want to know is who is going to give them the most free government shit. I hate to stereotype but really thats what is happeneing, I hear it all the damn time. Adds saying GW will start the draft to send more young black folks to be slaughtered in Iraq. Adds saying sKerry will lower taxes for them and all this shit. I talked to a guy just the other day and he brought up the draft issue and the tax issue. He owns his own business, sKerry would kill it by raising his taxes on his small business he didn't seem to understand that one. I also pointed out that sKerry has voted for over 300 tax increases(thanks for the info RNC) and pointed out the ONLY draft bill that even came up this year was writen by a DEM.

He still didn't want to believe it. Be watchful, of this election, if enough of the Vote or Die crowd make it out to vote, 95% of them will most likly be voting for sKerry. The radio show I'm listening to is being done live and they just did an informal poll they asked who was voting for sKerry and it was a nice and loud yellin and cheering, asked who was voting bush and it was all boos, the show is being done live from Savannah State in GA. Thats college kids. Everyone pretty much couts out the Vote or Die demographic as to lazy to vote, but if they ever get off their collective asses and actually hit the polls, it wouldn't be pretty. They are brainwashed into thinking the Dems are their friends, when infact they are not. It really sucks because the RNC and a lot of third parties have been running some great adds to counter the DNC bullshit, but no one listens to them or believes them. Like the adds the DNC has been running saying GW and the repubs tried to keep blacks and the elderly in florida from voting by using confusing (butterfly) ballots. Than right after it you'll hear a third paty add saying hey all that keep blacks from voting stuff is crap, and they state the simple facts of it. The elections were over seen by dems, and a dem actually designed the ballot and a bunch of other stuff but most just hear, "blah blah blah, blah blah, blah blah blah. It's sad really. They will unwittingly help to elect an asshat who will have this country kissing terrorist ass by the second year of his term.

But hey at least they are trying to get people off their lazy apathetic asses to vote right
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 7:16:14 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually, P. Diddy isn't advocating any particular party, at least that's what he was saying on the interview they did with him on Fox News during one of the Presidential debates.  He said that his message was to motivate young people to take control of their lives through the democratic process.  He said that he didn't care who you voted for, you just needed to vote.

That being said, I think P. Diddy is a worthless punk, but you've got to respect the message.

no you don't, it's a stupid message.  and P. Diddy appears at democratic rallies with his 'vote or die' bullshit.  he brings ashton kutcher, leonoardo dicaprio, etc.... to talk at their rallies
in 2000 puff daddy campaigned for Gore.  this time he smartened up a little bit and is trying to persuade people under the guise of being non-partisan.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 7:20:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Am I the only person that thinks that if someone has to tell you to go vote you shouldnt be voting in the first place?
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 7:21:59 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Am I the only person that thinks that if someone has to tell you to go vote you shouldnt be voting in the first place?

THANK GOD someone finally said it!
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 7:23:03 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I completely agree.

If you don't care about voting for either the Giant Douche or the Turd Sandwich, you shoudln't go vote just because some celebrity asshole tells you to.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 7:28:33 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I agree.

I also think that threatening my life is not a wise thing to do. Regardless of thier intentions, I'm suprised no one's been sued yet.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top