Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/7/2010 12:26:24 PM EDT
Got an easy question for someone experienced with ESXi/ESX.

I've got a question regarding configuration maximums on LUNs/VMFS volumes.

www.vmware.com/pdf/vsphere4/r40/vsp_40_config_max.pdf

I've got a RAID5 array of 4x1TB drives for a total usable space of about 2.7TB. This space is reserved for virtual machines (the ESXi hypervisor is on a RAID1 partition). The maxiums document says the max supported LUN size size is 2TB with the max supported VMFS volume size being 64TB (I assume through the use of 2TB volumes and "linked extents").

All this is local storage on the ESXi host... to make the most (and most stable) use of this space is partitioning the RAID5 array into two even volumes (of 1.33TB each) the way to make this happen? Then the two volumes can be "datastore2 and datastore3" respectively? I'd rather use dedicated raid partitions versus linked exstents so I dont have the risk of losing the master extent.

I appreciate it, I've been swapping emails with support today and they have lived up to my expectation of sucking.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top