BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/24/2003 9:41:37 PM EDT
[url]http://www.rollison2003.com/docs/5.16.03-guns-release.doc[/url]

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE            CONTACT: CHRIS PEACE
MAY 16, 2003            (703) 690-4368

EXTREMIST FREDERICK DISPLAYS TRUE COLORS
Youthful candidate believes guns and alcohol mix

(Woodbridge, VA) Delegate Jack Rollison’s challenger Jeff Frederick recently announced his intentions, if elected, to seek to end state restrictions on concealed weapons in bars, stating his desire to mix guns and liquor. “Allowing a loaded gun into a bar is just asking for trouble,” Rollison said.

A 1999 Virginia shooting exhibits the problem of mixing guns with bars. An off-duty Drug Enforcement Agency officer, who should have known better, spent more than $100 at a bar with the assistance of five colleagues. He fired his 9mm pistol at two other men in the parking lot of Rooney's Grille and Bar. “If there's any question that anyone in possession of a firearm should not be drinking alcohol, they should read the transcript of this case,” said the Hampton Circuit Judge Christopher W. Hutton at the trial. The DEA agent was convicted.

[b]Gun Owners of America and the Virginia Citizens Defense League have endorsed Frederick. These extremist and milita-esque organizations are working to end Virginia’s common-sense ban against carrying a concealed weapon into a bar.[/b] “With his extremist supporters and radical views on guns in bars, Frederick’s is out of touch with our Prince William County family community,” said Rollison.
View Quote

This guy sounds like an ass hat.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 9:46:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I dont think you should be allowed to carry into bars. If you dont want to go in unarmed, stay at home.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 9:55:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I dont think you should be allowed to carry into bars. If you dont want to go in unarmed, stay at home.
View Quote

Since you can't carry, or go in bars your opinion is falling deaf ears.  Why is there a force field around bars, that suddenly excludes your rights while in these establishments?  BTW, here in Virginia, it's not only bars, it's restaurants that have ABC licenses and the like...still think that is OK?

I guess I should just always eat at home too...[rolleyes]

Link Posted: 5/24/2003 10:01:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

By that reasoning, if I want to drink at a bar, I should walk and If I don't want to drink, I shouldn't go.

It's illegal to carry while intoxicated.  It's illegal to drive while intoxicated.
See where I'm going with this?

Link Posted: 5/24/2003 10:08:28 PM EDT
[#4]
FWIW, open carry is legal in those establishments.  That's why if you're a VA CHP holder, you should always have a good open carry holster on you.

Link Posted: 5/24/2003 10:12:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
FWIW, open carry is legal in those establishments.  That's why if you're a VA CHP holder, you should always have a good open carry holster on you.

View Quote

However, I don't live in the sticks of Virginia...I have 160,000 people in my NEIGHBORHOOD, let alone my county/city.  If I open carry I risk brandsihing or some such bullshit here.

It's a stupid law to feel good about giving us heathens better carry laws back in 95....right?

Right.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 10:15:57 PM EDT
[#6]
This guy sounds like an ass hat.
View Quote

He sounds like he should be wearing his ass for a hat!

(God Bless Red Foreman! [;D] )
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 10:23:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Clearly the lesson to be learned from the incident involving the DEA agent is that DEA agents should be banned from carrying.  Or maybe they should be subjected to a Barney Fife rule, "only one round per agent, to be kept in a pocket." [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 10:31:13 PM EDT
[#8]
its because when you gon in a bar- you get reTarded. Duh- retards should'nt have guns n kay.

Seriously tho, I dont want that any drunk ass hole in the bar with a gun, including myself.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 10:34:39 PM EDT
[#9]
I'd go [surprisingly enough] with the way Utah did it.  CCW is legal in bars but if you're drunk you're in [b]BIG[/b] trouble.

Or, allow ccw in bars but disallow anyone with a firearm on them from having a BAC greater than 0.00000000000.....

Mike
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 10:35:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
its because when you gon in a bar- you get reTarded. Duh- retards should'nt have guns n kay.

Seriously tho, I dont want that any drunk ass hole in the bar with a gun, including myself.
View Quote

If I am sober and there eating, like in an Outback or Applebee's?  Which also has a bar......I am excluded from carrying concealed.  I am not a big drinker, nor would I carry if I was planning on getting hammered...more out of concern that someone might heist my gun before I could react.

The law is bullshit, pure and simple.  Everyone saying otherwise so far has given "feelings" about why they don't want it.

Link Posted: 5/24/2003 10:39:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'd go [surprisingly enough] with the way Utah did it.  CCW is legal in bars but if you're drunk you're in [b]BIG[/b] trouble.

Or, allow ccw in bars but disallow anyone with a firearm on them from having a BAC greater than 0.00000000000.....

Mike
View Quote

Exactly, the assumption that I may go in, get drunk, then shoot someone is like guessing that I may go to an ABC store, buy a fifth, take it home and get drunk, then use all my guns to shoot all my neighbors since they are too loud or something.

So by this logic we should have prohibition combined with NO gun rights.  Take the alcohol and guns and you can't have drunken accidents with firearms??  Right??

Rather than take your right to defend yourself, why not take your right to drink??  I'd be willing to bet there are as many gun owner's as drinkers -- problem is -- drinking is not a political agenda item.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 11:10:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Virginia already bans "carrying under the influence." I want to be able to carry into restaurants and bars when I'm not drinking, and not openly...no need to advertise this to the people who ARE drinking.

The DEA agent was exempt from the law, as he's an LEO and the statute doesn't apply to him.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 11:14:46 PM EDT
[#13]
The law should be that you CAN carry in a establishment but if you are drinking you are in big doo-doo.

Like the poster above said.  It is illegal to drive intoxicated....   You should be able to carry anywhere just not while intoxicated.

I know that firearms and alcohol DO NOT mix.

USMC_LB
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 11:35:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted: You should be able to carry anywhere just not while intoxicated.
View Quote

Sounds sensible. If in doubt, administer a breathalyzer test and apply the same pass/fail criteria as when driving a motor vehicle. Automatically excluding CCW in establishments that serve alcohol is just plain Brady-esque!
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 11:54:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted: You should be able to carry anywhere just not while intoxicated.
View Quote

Sounds sensible. If in doubt, administer a breathalyzer test and apply the same pass/fail criteria as when driving a motor vehicle. Automatically excluding CCW in establishments that serve alcohol is just plain Brady-esque!
View Quote

What?  Do you really expect anyone with a gun-control (ban) agenda to buy into a REAL common sense idea like that?

Remember, the goal of these people is to remove all firearms from the public "for their own good".  Anything they say that differs from the above statement is a bold faced lie.  Period.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 12:41:21 AM EDT
[#16]
In Texas, where I hold a CHL, and will return as soon as God allows, you can not carry your weapon into anyplace that derives 51% or more of it's income from alcohol, or schools, courts, and government buildings, eg. drivers licensing offices, and you can not take it where there is a sign posted saying that concealed hanguns are not allowed.. Of course, this has to be posted conspiciously at every entrance in bold, inch high, contrasting letters in both english and spanish.  I personally disagree with this because it is telling people where to come and shoot you.  I have to agree with the reasoning that you should be allowed to carry anywhere as long as you are not under the influence.  Btw, there is a provision in the law that does not allow you to carry under the influence also.  I think that should be the only restriction.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 7:00:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Unfortunately here in VA the law prohibits you from CCW ANYWHERE that serves ANY booze.  So if you go to any place that serves drinks, you can't carry concealed.  Ever think about how many places that aren't fast-food serve drinks?  Most restaurants that can be called so, even some pizza place that serves beer.  It's not about getting drunk and claiming a right to carry.  It's about being able to carry in normal everyday family situations, in establishments that don't mind you doing so.

What gun owners here are calling for is "common sense" rules that don't put my life in danger just because someone else in the joint can order a beer with their steak.  As it has been pointed out, there is already a VA law about drinking and carrying.  

It's amazing how many supposed "pro-gun" people here can read an article and immeadiately buy off on the anti-gun spin as reasonable.  I guess it will have an even better propaganda effect on the sheeple who have no clue what the real point of getting this law repealled is either.

Ross
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 7:15:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Last year in Cincinnati, there was a shooting in a very nice, upscale restaurant calle J Alexanders.

The perp walked in and sat down at the table where his ex-girlfriend was having dinner with a FRIEND, not a boyfriend. The perp drew a .45 and shot his ex in the chest at point blank range, and proceeded to chase the 'friend' around the restaurant firing at him at random.

A friend of mine was in the restaurant at the time and said all the patrons cowered under their tables.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 7:17:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Designated Marksman rule. (similar to designated driver)

Shouldn't mix guns and alcohol. Alcohol impairs judgement.

That doesn't mean you can't carry in a bar, just don't drink and carry.

JMHO,
--LS
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 7:34:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Since you can't carry, or go in bars your opinion is falling deaf ears.  Why is there a force field around bars, that suddenly excludes your rights while in these establishments?  BTW, here in Virginia, it's not only bars, it's restaurants that have ABC licenses and the like...still think that is OK?

View Quote

Yupper ED...and people who don't know VA's law should STFU.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 7:40:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Ed, We can carry in bars in Oregon. There has never been a CCW involved shooting where the CCW was found culpable. Like you, it seems to me, those are the places we are most likely to NEED a weapon. Particularly coming, and going..
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 7:48:09 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

The law is bullshit, pure and simple.  Everyone saying otherwise so far has given "feelings" about why they don't want it.

View Quote

There ya go again!!! Lots of people, even here, have no clue... However, you seem to have things well in hand here...[:D]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top