Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/6/2007 8:08:37 AM EDT
Hey guys, I have looked around for answers but I am still unclear, and I want to be absolutely certain of this.  I am 19 years old, and my dad purchased an AK for me recently since I'm not 21.  Now I'm wondering if the purchase age is the same age that limits me from doing anything else as well.

When I go back to school I'm living in an apartment in Virginia, and I'm wondering if it is legal for me to keep my AK with me.  Not that I expect a raid in my house because I have an AK or anything, but ya never know...if some one hears or tells some one I have one and I have a cop snooping around, I don't want to be in big trouble.  So can I or can't I legally "own" or store an AK at 19?  

Thanks a lot, and if any of you guys could find links to support it I would appreciate it.  
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 8:40:00 AM EDT
[#1]
YOU ONLY HAVE TO BE 18 TO BUY RIFLES OR SHOTGUNS FROM FFL DEALERS , YOU CAN BUY AN AK47 AT 18 FROM AN FFL DEALER! OR PRIVATE SALE  
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 8:42:11 AM EDT
[#2]
VIRGINIA GUN LAWS  

http://www.nraila.org/statelawpdfs/VASL.pdf
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 8:43:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Do you have a virginia drivers license !
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 8:49:31 AM EDT
[#4]
I sure do.  I guess my next concern would be if since I'm in an apartment it's not really my property.  Is there such a thing where apartments can have a policy against guns?
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 9:35:33 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I sure do.  I guess my next concern would be if since I'm in an apartment it's not really my property.  Is there such a thing where apartments can have a policy against guns?

YOU ARE FINE ! EVEN IN A HOTEL ROOM IT IS YOURS FOR THE NIGHT.  
Link Posted: 8/7/2007 7:47:48 AM EDT
[#6]
"...since I'm in an apartment it's not really my property."

No, it IS your property under the terms of the lease.
Even the owner cannot enter except as specified in the lease (24 hours notice for non-emergancies is common).
Link Posted: 8/7/2007 9:07:24 AM EDT
[#7]
www.opencarry.com       18 TO CARRY A HANDGUN ON  YOUR SIDE IN VA.

WWW.PACKING.ORG.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 10:45:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Depending on where you will be living, you can not wander around the streets with the weapon if a 20+ round magazine is attached.

§ 18.2-287.4. Carrying loaded firearms in public areas prohibited; penalty.

It shall be unlawful for any person to carry a loaded (a) semi-automatic center-fire rifle or pistol that expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material and is equipped at the time of the offense with a magazine that will hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition or designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer or equipped with a folding stock or (b) shotgun with a magazine that will hold more than seven rounds of the longest ammunition for which it is chambered on or about his person on any public street, road, alley, sidewalk, public right-of-way, or in any public park or any other place of whatever nature that is open to the public in the Cities of Alexandria, Chesapeake, Fairfax, Falls Church, Newport News, Norfolk, Richmond, or Virginia Beach or in the Counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Henrico, Loudoun, or Prince William.

The provisions of this section shall not apply to law-enforcement officers, licensed security guards, military personnel in the performance of their lawful duties, or any person having a valid concealed handgun permit or to any person actually engaged in lawful hunting or lawful recreational shooting activities at an established shooting range or shooting contest. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

The exemptions set forth in § 18.2-308 shall apply, mutatis mutandis, to the provisions of this section.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 11:42:04 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Depending on where you will be living, you can not wander around the streets with the weapon if a 20+ round magazine is attached.

§ 18.2-287.4. Carrying loaded firearms in public areas prohibited; penalty.

It shall be unlawful for any person to carry a loaded (a) semi-automatic center-fire rifle or pistol that expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material and is equipped at the time of the offense with a magazine that will hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition or designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer or equipped with a folding stock or (b) shotgun with a magazine that will hold more than seven rounds of the longest ammunition for which it is chambered on or about his person on any public street, road, alley, sidewalk, public right-of-way, or in any public park or any other place of whatever nature that is open to the public in the Cities of Alexandria, Chesapeake, Fairfax, Falls Church, Newport News, Norfolk, Richmond, or Virginia Beach or in the Counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Henrico, Loudoun, or Prince William.

The provisions of this section shall not apply to law-enforcement officers, licensed security guards, military personnel in the performance of their lawful duties, or any person having a valid concealed handgun permit or to any person actually engaged in lawful hunting or lawful recreational shooting activities at an established shooting range or shooting contest. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

The exemptions set forth in § 18.2-308 shall apply, mutatis mutandis, to the provisions of this section.

http://www.opencarry.net/  Virginia has preemption so all those cities or towns you listed no longer apply .

Virginia

Summary
Virginia is one of our "Gold Star" open carry states. There is complete state preemption of all firearms laws, open carry is increasingly common and law enforcement is well educated as to its legality.

Legal Disclaimer We make every effort to provide correct information on this site. However, the legal landscape surrounding open carry is fluid and subject to a myriad of political influences in the various states. Therefore, any and all information you glean from this site should be independently verified!
Forum To read real open carry stories from Virginia or to contribute your own, click here
State Constitution Article I, Section 13

That a well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people,trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state,therefore, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed; that standing armies, in time of peace, should be avoided as dangerous to liberty; and that in all cases the military should be under strict subordination to, and governed by, the civil power.
Minimum Age to OC 18
Preemption Complete State Preemption of All Firearm Laws

NOTE: Almost all states allow local regulation of the discharge of firearms
Open Car Carry You may open carry in a vehicle. It must be clearly visible.
Places Off Limits General Prohibitions Available at Packing.org

Open Carry Specific Prohibitions

* State Parks (CCW Ok. Open Carry Not Allowed)

State Law

* Code of Virginia

Official Documents

* Attorney General's Opinion on State Park Carry
   * VA ABC Letter On Legality of Open Carry in Alcohol Serving Restaurants
   * VA State Police Letter Confirming Legality of Open Carry

State Organizations

* VA Chapter of The Second Amendment Sisters
   * Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL)

Local Ordinances

Concealed Carry Available at Packing.org
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 6:44:24 AM EDT
[#10]
"http://www.opencarry.net/ Virginia has preemption so all those cities or towns you listed no longer apply ."

Better watch the dates.
(1991, c. 570; 1992, c. 790; 2003, c. 976; 2004, c. 995; 2005, c. 160; 2007, c. 813.)

it appears that this section has been ammended AFTER the pre-emption law passed which means it once again supercedes.
Pre-emption would NOT aplly to a statute passed subsequent to the pre-emption statute.
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 12:38:56 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
"http://www.opencarry.net/ Virginia has preemption so all those cities or towns you listed no longer apply ."

Better watch the dates.
(1991, c. 570; 1992, c. 790; 2003, c. 976; 2004, c. 995; 2005, c. 160; 2007, c. 813.)

it appears that this section has been ammended AFTER the pre-emption law passed which means it once again supercedes.
Pre-emption would NOT aplly to a statute passed subsequent to the pre-emption statute.

www.opencarry.com 18 TO CARRY A HANDGUN ON YOUR SIDE IN VA.

WWW.PACKING.ORG.

THE post said above you only have to be 18 years old to carry a handgun openly in virginia  . It looks like it can't have over a 20 round magazine in it in certain cities ,which most handguns don't. !
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 12:52:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Huh?

He got an AK, not a handgun.
You posted
“http://www.opencarry.net/ Virginia has preemption so all those cities or towns you listed no longer apply .”

This is not correct and open carry is wrong.
While Virginia did pre-empt local rules, it appears they subsequently passed changes to the rifle carry rules that supersede the pre-emption statute.

Most of the pre-emption was to remove the mis-mash of county purchase restrictions on handguns (some had waiting periods of various lengths and ALexandria had registration) and prevent any locality from pre-empting the state issued carry permits for handguns.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top