Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/12/2005 2:50:20 PM EDT
Governor Huntsman Signs Illegal Immigrant Driver's Card Bill
Mar. 9, 2005

Governor Huntsman today signed a bill replacing regular driver's licenses for undocumented immigrants with driving privilege cards that can't be used as official identification. That means the cards can't be used for things like boarding airplanes or registering to vote.

The bill's sponsor says it's a compromise, because it still allows undocumented illegals to drive, and most states do not. But some in the minority community are threatening legal action against the law.

Carlos Sandoval/West Valley City Resident : "IT'S OK FOR THE GOVERNMENT TO KNOW WHO EVERYBODY IS. BUT THIS IS THE WRONG WAY TO DO IT. THEY KIND OF PUT ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS APART. AND THEY ARE NOT APART, BECAUSE WITHOUT ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS THERE WOULD BE NO AMERICA."

The driving privilege card will look like a driver's license, but will be differently colored and say in bold print that it's not a full license.

What kind of bizarro world is Utah? How about just not giving them any driving privaledges!?
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 2:57:07 PM EDT
And the slow downward spiral continues unabated.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 3:01:44 PM EDT
OK, let me get this straight. Somebody breaks one of our laws to get here, and is therefore here illegally. They show up at the DMV voluntarily and make it known that they are here illegaly. Ummm....why don't we arrest them and send them back? I'm stunned. If we recognize that they broke a law and reward them with a drivers license, are they really here illegally?

If you were to walk down the street smoking a joint and could not be arrested for it, would your actions really be illegal? Jesus.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 3:20:11 PM EDT
... don't get me started!!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 4:23:28 PM EDT
Living in Utah, let me tell you how things like this work here. A few points for those who don't know much about Utah.

1) There are very few strong minority lobbies in this state. The few that there are ARE WEAK.

2) This WILL be used to go after illegal aliens in Utah.

The article makes it sound like Utah is welcoming illegal aliens with open arms by giving them driver's licences. I'll tell you what is really going on here. Our state, a few years back, passed a law that said that all drug dealers had to have a "drug dealer" license. The law said that you actually had to go down to the court, pay your 50 bucks, and get the law-required licence. How many people showed up? Ever?

One (always one town fool around .

But, later, when drug dealers were busted, on top of the federal and state charges, they were now charged with selling drugs without a license and fined another 10k dollars.

Similiar thing is going on here no matter how the leftist article makes it sound.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 5:52:17 AM EDT
[Neil Diamond]They're comming to America..[/Neil diamond]

Link Posted: 3/13/2005 6:08:48 AM EDT

Originally Posted By bfieldburt:
Living in Utah, let me tell you how things like this work here. A few points for those who don't know much about Utah.

1) There are very few strong minority lobbies in this state. The few that there are ARE WEAK.

2) This WILL be used to go after illegal aliens in Utah.
The article makes it sound like Utah is welcoming illegal aliens with open arms by giving them driver's licences. I'll tell you what is really going on here. Our state, a few years back, passed a law that said that all drug dealers had to have a "drug dealer" license. The law said that you actually had to go down to the court, pay your 50 bucks, and get the law-required licence. How many people showed up? Ever?

One (always one town fool around .

But, later, when drug dealers were busted, on top of the federal and state charges, they were now charged with selling drugs without a license and fined another 10k dollars.

Similiar thing is going on here no matter how the leftist article makes it sound.

I sure hope you're right, otherwise we may have to organize a trip up north to slap some sense into your legilature.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 6:16:53 AM EDT
The Mexican border should be one of our first priorities & guarded by our millitary before a terrorist comes through & attacks us. It is just a matter of time untill it happens!
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 7:15:17 AM EDT
What all of you don't realize is that this is a step in the right direction for Utah. Until now, illegal immigrants could get regular state driver's licenses, which they could use to buy guns, vote, board airplanes etc. Yes, I know that's moronic.

Now, due to common sense creaping in, Utahns are pushing back against illegals. Now illegals can't have driver's licenses, just a permit to drive that can't be used for official ID.

It's a baby steps thing. Don't panic over this or criticize the legislation for going in the right direction. Remember, the laws in Utah were worse before this. They're starting to get better.
Top Top