Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 1/14/2006 7:02:29 AM EDT
We have all seen stupid pet tricks. What are some useful things that you can teach a dog to do?

There are the regular commands of come, sit, stay, lay down, etc. These are useful for managing the dog. Let's assume that you don't have to teach the dog to defend the property.

Somewhere online there are instructions for how to teach a dog how to fetch a beer from the refrigerator. That one seems useful -- until I wonder whether I want to teach the dog to open the refrigerator.

Anybody got any useful tricks that you can teach a dog? Fetching the newspaper or something?
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:04:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/14/2006 7:04:31 AM EDT by SirDrinksAlot]
"Killer, bite em' in the NUTS"

Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:07:49 AM EDT
My dog will pick up anything you drop and give it back to you. You can hand him something and tell him to bring it to a person across the room and he will. He jumps over the baby gate to get food and water so you dont have to open it. Just about the only thing he cant do is talk.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:09:27 AM EDT

Originally Posted By SirDrinksAlot:
"Killer, bite em' in the NUTS"

I named my dog Chopper after the dog in "Stand By Me" that was trained to "sic balls". I was going to train him to do that (just get close with a growling snap) on command. I thought that would be funny with door-to-door salesmen, and other people who come knocking on the door when I don't want them. At 160 pounds, Chopper is already so damn scary that they run away before I get the chance to give the command.

Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:10:15 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Tanam:
My dog will pick up anything you drop and give it back to you. You can hand him something and tell him to bring it to a person across the room and he will.

How did you train him to do that?
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:15:40 AM EDT

Originally Posted By wolfman97:

Originally Posted By Tanam:
My dog will pick up anything you drop and give it back to you. You can hand him something and tell him to bring it to a person across the room and he will.

How did you train him to do that?

One day my wife droped the phone and he picked it up and gave it back to her,that came easy.After that we sit across the room and give him something and tell him to bring it your mommy/daddy, took about 15 minutes. He would have made a hell of a seeing eye dog if he wasent dog aggresive. Hes a rot-lab mix.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:27:07 AM EDT

Originally Posted By wolfman97:
We have all seen stupid pet tricks. What are some useful things that you can teach a dog to do?

There are the regular commands of come, sit, stay, lay down, etc. These are useful for managing the dog. Let's assume that you don't have to teach the dog to defend the property.

Somewhere online there are instructions for how to teach a dog how to fetch a beer from the refrigerator. That one seems useful -- until I wonder whether I want to teach the dog to open the refrigerator.

Anybody got any useful tricks that you can teach a dog? Fetching the newspaper or something?

"get the bird" for retrieving whatever animal you just shot... we also use "go get 'em" for our pups to "defend" the yard from zombie squirrels... they do a perimeter check and take down the ones that don't scramble away fast enough...
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:35:42 AM EDT
"Play Dead" for when the JBT comes and raids your home.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:41:52 AM EDT
my last dog was trained not to take anything outta our hand without us giving him the "OK", kept him from stealing cookies from my daughters.

MLW>"<
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 12:56:12 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Ndenway:
my last dog was trained not to take anything outta our hand without us giving him the "OK", kept him from stealing cookies from my daughters.

MLW>"<

huge +1

ours also don't go through doorways (in and out of the house) unless they get our ok...
Top Top