Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/18/2012 7:02:14 AM EDT
I ordered up new cell phones for my wife and myself last night
and I was thinking about what to do with the old ones.

My understanding is that cellphones even without
a contract are supposed to be able to dial 911.

Am I correct in that understanding?

If so I was thinking I can stick them in my car along with a car
charger in case something happened to my phone or even
if needed I could Give it to someone so they can call 911.

Thoughts?

Link Posted: 5/18/2012 7:04:13 AM EDT
[#1]
There are several organizations that you can donate them to just for that purpose. They will still dial 911.

Just going to have to keep the batteries charged for that "jsut in case."
Link Posted: 5/18/2012 7:07:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
There are several organizations that you can donate them to just for that purpose. They will still dial 911.

Just going to have to keep the batteries charged for that "jsut in case."

Yes I know various organizations take them (and we have donated them in the past)

My thoughts were to hold one level back and keep them in our vehicles Just in case.
I actually wish I would have kept the last set they were simpler to use.

Link Posted: 5/18/2012 7:09:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Yep, that should work.
Try dialing with the old phone and it may give you a message about emergency use...I've gotten it before.
Link Posted: 5/18/2012 7:12:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Yep, that should work.
Try dialing with the old phone and it may give you a message about emergency use...I've gotten it before.

Thank you

Link Posted: 5/18/2012 7:13:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Side note: Keep an old land line phone around the house for the same reason. (Power outage, cell towers overloaded, etc.).
Link Posted: 5/18/2012 7:14:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yep, that should work.

Thank you

To add, my old regional carrier would let you actually use the phone if you had a credit card. The fee was crazy, but for an urgent non-emergency it might be worth it. I don't know of the national cell phone companies do this or not though...someone here is bound to know.
Link Posted: 5/18/2012 7:16:22 AM EDT
[#7]
They also make good additions to your bug-out bag.
Link Posted: 5/18/2012 7:21:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Each time we upgrade the phones get more complex.

The though is a simpler phone for emergencies.
(and one that could be given away if needed)

Link Posted: 5/18/2012 7:24:58 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Each time we upgrade the phones get more complex.

The though is a simpler phone for emergencies.

(and one that could be given away if needed)

I bet you could find some extremely cheap plain old phones on craigslist if you really just want a simple throw around phone.

Link Posted: 5/18/2012 7:32:31 AM EDT
[#10]
I took a leftover Verizon phone, spent ~$25 for prepaid service, and activated it on Page Plus website.  
Now my kids have a beater phone.  If they lose or break it, no big deal.
Link Posted: 5/18/2012 8:05:55 AM EDT
[#11]
If you have a smartphone, even an old one, & give it away, make sure you've scrubbed the data before handing it off.

For fun, pull the SIM chip out of an old GSM phone, & call 911 to test the phone.  Refuse to leave your name.  Be sure to turn the phone off afterwards & change location.

Gig 'em,

backbencher
Link Posted: 5/18/2012 8:16:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I took a leftover Verizon phone, spent ~$25 for prepaid service, and activated it on Page Plus website.  
Now my kids have a beater phone.  If they lose or break it, no big deal.

Do they expire?

Link Posted: 5/18/2012 8:22:53 AM EDT
[#13]
If it's an android smartphone you can put a Cyanogen or MIUI or Liberty build on it, install talkatone or sipdroid and have free phone calls where you can find free wifi.

Link Posted: 5/18/2012 8:31:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If it's an android smartphone you can put a Cyanogen or MIUI or Liberty build on it, install talkatone or sipdroid and have free phone calls where you can find free wifi.

The new ones are Android (I finally got my wife to see the value in a smart phone for her)

The old ones are Older Older smart phones e72 & e71.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top