Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/2/2003 9:59:04 AM EDT
My state (Michigan) allows for handgun purchases by those 18 but not yet 21, as long as the purchase is a private party. If i go this route, will I actually be able to do anything with the handgun? Like take it to the range by myself, take it to the shop for repairs?
Thanks for your input.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 10:46:25 AM EDT
[#1]
I am pretty sure that Federal law supercedes state law, and federal law states that:

<<>>

Ineligible Persons

The following classes of people are ineligible to possess, receive, ship, or transport firearms or ammunition:

- Persons less than 18 years of age for the purchase of a shotgun or rifle.
- Persons less than 21 years of age for the purchase of a firearm that is other than a shotgun or rifle.

Acquiring Firearms:

From Individuals:

An individual may not sell a firearm to a resident of another state, or an ineligible person. Firearms received by bequest or intestate succession are exempt from those sections of the law which forbid the transfer, sale, delivery or transportation of firearms into a state other than the transferor's state of residence.

----------------

I read that to mean that by definition, if you're under 21, you're an "inelligible person" with regards to handguns.

I know here in AZ (probably THE most liberal/relaxed state when it comes to gun laws), if you're under 18, the only times you can carry a handgun are when:
- you are on your own private property
- you are at a shooting range with a supervising adult and/or letter of permission
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 11:03:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 11:28:29 AM EDT
[#3]
But doesn't Federal Law (what I posted above) supercede any state laws, regulations and/or statutes?

If so, no one under 21 can legally purchase a handgun from an individual OR a dealer.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 1:55:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 2:07:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Okay, I'll take your word for it.  I assumed (we all know what that does!) that the NRA wouldn't put their "interpretation" of the Federal law on the site and mask it as the actual "Federal Laws" regarding firearms.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top