Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 1/9/2005 1:33:09 PM EDT
Anyone watching the History? Very good shows on today. A lot of footage I have never seen and some tales I have never heard.

Two things are making an impact on me:

1. We won that war because we did what we HAD to do regardless of rather or not it was pretty, kind or even always legal. I wonder how we will do now that the gloves ALWAYS stay on and then some...

2. The Jap were (?) a brutal buch, to put it VERY mildly. The atrocities and genocide rivaled that of Nazi Germany yet that is now less than a foot note in history.

You know, this was not generations ago. There are thousands of WWII vets still alive. How do you think they feel now that they see Japan benefiting so richly from their trade with us and the lack of stigmatism for their actions in the 20s, 30s and 40s?
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 1:42:49 PM EDT
>>never forgive, never forget<<
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 4:01:21 PM EDT
Typical oriental way of thinking. The lost the war, true, but in reality they achieved their national objective of being a regional power. Now they are gaining the military balls to go with it. So they lost the war, but won what they wanted in reality. Sun Tzu thinking at it's best.

It was "no holds barred" on both sides. We didn't take alot of prisoners either, and I wouldn't put that all down to the Japs fighting to the end (though alot of it was). We fought that war as we should fight all wars. So brutal that no one would ask for the ass kicking they'd get, and so brutal that we'd think long and hard about sending troops anywhere to fight.

I think it's great being the 6000lb gorilla, but it's getting too easy to replace diplomacy with troop use. I'm not talking about Iraq or A'stan, but before that, Clinton sent troops everywhere because it was the only organization that could actually get something done. That has to change. I'm not isolationist, but we shouldn't have to send a battalion from the Viriginia National Guard to Bosnia for cryin out loud.

I agree with walking softly and carrying a big stick. And I think if you have to swing it, you swing it hard and fast until it's no longer needed swinging. But the walk softly part is fully half of the message. When you can swing that stick, you get to walk softly and then you should do so.

Ross
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 4:07:19 PM EDT
i just saw the movie "To End All Wars" its about US pow's in jap hands. Very powerful i'd recommend it.
Top Top