Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/6/2005 11:39:00 AM EDT
Young hispanic lady, 18+ walks up to my gate, with the no solicitor sign and the BEWARE OF DOG SIGN and tries to open the gate and my 10yr old lab jumped up and bit her putting a small hole in her lip.  She ran over to the neighbors house (friends) who helped her with ice and cleaning the wound.  It is arguable as to whether the hole came from my dogs tooth or her own as the hole is on the inside of her lip.  I was genuinley concerned and went to the neighbors.  She had ice on it and was joking about it not being the first time.  I offered to take her to the local urgent care clinic and she declined, said she was ok and marched off to the next house up the street trying to sell magazine subscriptions.  I might add I gave her my name and number in case someone needed a record of my dogs vaccs records

Now, 3 hours later I get a call from an out of state number and I assume it is her boss stating he is on his way to the ER and wants me to pay for it.  Says she is TRAUMATIZED and can no longer work.  I call BS.  Told him to bring her by so we can all talk about this. He said he would be by with animal control to have my dog put down immediatley!  I told him fat chance, private property coupled with her ignoring the signs posted on the gate and he does not have a chance in hell.  He then called me a cold hearted asshole and the argument went on from there.  I am sitting here pretty wound up waiting for animal control (I called to find out if I was right or wrong,left msg) or him.  I have a feeling I am going to have to break out a can of whoop ass if he stops by.  Cant wait.  My home, my property, the first time he comes at me there's gonna be hell to pay.

Am I wrong?  Is he wrong?  Dont misunderstand me, I am sorry that my dog bit the girl, but, private property, warning signs and her refusal of treatment right there?  Does it sound like this guy is trying to get money or what?
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 11:40:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Report it to the police first thing. Covers your ass.
After that tell her boss, who ever to foad.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 11:41:26 AM EDT
[#2]
easy fix.  Call police yourself, have your neighbors bare witness to her refusl of care, and that you offered her a ride to the clinic.  And not to mention she went back to work, like it was no big deal.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 11:43:10 AM EDT
[#3]
First sentence says it all.

Young hispanic lady, 18+ walks up to my gate, with the no solicitor sign and the BEWARE OF DOG SIGN and tries to open the gate and my 10yr old lab jumped up and bit her putting a small hole in her lip.

File a police report for trespassing.  It was posted both that she wasn't welcome there, and that there was a dog waiting there for her.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 11:44:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 11:44:41 AM EDT
[#5]
IMO, you're right.  If knucklehead shows, make sure you have witnesses nearby and a camera running out of sight.  

If she can't read, that's her problem.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 11:45:05 AM EDT
[#6]
By opening the gate she assumed liability as long as you didn't invite her through you are fine.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 11:45:48 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Young hispanic lady, 18+ walks up to my gate, with the no solicitor sign and the BEWARE OF DOG SIGN and tries to open the gate and my 10yr old lab jumped up and bit her putting a small hole in her lip.

File a police report for trespassing.  It was posted both that she wasn't welcome there, and that there was a dog waiting there for her.

+1 Make sure to come off as "the dog was defending me from the trespassers" kind of way.

Edit: The TRESSPASSER should have been 'put down immediately'.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 11:47:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Quick hide your lab and replace it with a small chihuaha!
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 11:48:34 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Now, 3 hours later I get a call from an out of state number and I assume it is her boss stating he is on his way to the ER and wants me to pay for it.  
Says she is TRAUMATIZED and can no longer work.  I call BS.  
Told him to bring her by so we can all talk about this.

You assume it was her boss?  And now this man is giving you orders without identifying himself?
Don't talk to him.  She probably bit her own lip. Labs don't bite. They luv & maybe knock you over

Anyway, Don't let them on your property again.  Notify your Sheriff sooner than later.
Explain that you might think there is a scam going on here. And that your property is clearly posted.

Keep us posted.  

M4-CQBR
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 11:49:35 AM EDT
[#10]
As far as labs not being an "evil" breed.  They do have one of the highest bite rates of any breed around.  I do German Shepherd rescue and own 3 dogs including a pitbull, who is the biggest baby I've got, and will only attack anyone with his tongue.  You SHOULD be covered by your signs,  just depends on the prosecuting attorney.  Some are asses and others are just dicks.  Follow the advice of others and call the cops, file a report, and cya.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 11:50:17 AM EDT
[#11]
I guess she needs to learn how to read english befor going out to the real world.  Send her ass back.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 11:52:05 AM EDT
[#12]
You're probably OK. Here's Oregon's animal control law. As for civil liability, I wouldn't sweat it too much. She was trespassing, and it sounds like you had plenty of warnings posted.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 11:54:14 AM EDT
[#13]
UPDATE!!!!!!!

Called the dispatch for non-emergencies and told the gal of the situation.  She even chuckled.  An officer is going to stop by here soon and talk to me.  Sounds like from what the dispatch said, they might be interested in finding this guy, multiple reports?  Anyways, HE THREATENED MY DOG!
Dunno bout you guys, this dog has been with me thru thick and thin, like part of the family and he wants her down for protecting our home?  My lab is like family.  Goes with me everywhere, do all dog.  Loves kids and I might add, is usually a good judge of character.  She does not bite the UPS or FED-EX dude becuase she knows he brings goodies to make her daddy happy.

I sure hope he shows up here soon.  Kinda stupid, but love the adrenaline rush, even from this.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 11:54:18 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Quick hide your lab and replace it with a small chihuaha!

Yep, get your buddy to a safe place ASAP.  Good chance he'll spend a few weeks at the pound unless they decide to put him down and test for rabies. No joke, run Forest, RUN!!!
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 11:54:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Put the dog someplace else with friends or family.

Do this NOW.

Being right won't necessarily save your dog.

Winning your case later won't bring your dog back.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 11:55:13 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
You're probably OK. Here's Oregon's animal control law. As for civil liability, I wouldn't sweat it too much. She was trespassing, and it sounds like you had plenty of warnings posted.

Thank you!  Much appreciated, I couldnt find it.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 11:58:24 AM EDT
[#17]
I wonder how different this thread would be if it would have been a pit bull who had bitten her?

That being said, I hope that everything turns out good for you and your pooch (let's hope animal control doesnt' get involved). She was in the wrong from the sounds of it.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 12:00:39 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I wonder how different this thread would be if it would have been a pit bull who had bitten her?

Or worse yet, if Petagunner had had a policeman hiding inside the gate, and a dog tried to open the gate, and the policeman shot the dog. This thread would be very different, indeed.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 12:09:22 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I wonder how different this thread would be if it would have been a pit bull who had bitten her? hat

Yeah no shit.  Actually as a pit bull owner I have to say this.  A pit that bites a person, is not a good pit.  They've been bred for 200 years to get rid of ALL human aggression and to breed IN animal aggression.  They are 2 distinctly different qualities.  They should never be used as guard dogs and a good one, shouldn't have the ability to be a guard dog.  These damn thugs that are breeding that don't know anything about it, piss me off almost as much as John Kerry.  Unsound pits with human aggression should be put down.  Not in a week, not in a month, yesterday, period.  If it wasn't for over breeding, and bad breeding they wouldnt be what they are.  People such as www.showstopperkennelsga.com should be shot.  Your right.  If it was a pit most people would have tripped.  and the cops probably would have too.  Funny how the same behavior from 2 different breeds elicits 2 different reactions.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 12:10:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Another UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gotta love the CSO around here.  The guy laughed at me!  Told me that it would be a diff story if my dog had jumped the fence and ran into the street and bit the girl, but by her tyring to open the gate it was a "provoked" bite and we are perfectly fine.  He said he wouldn't even take a bite report untill the girl called it in.  He did say that it wouldnt keep from getting us sued (WTF?) but it would probably take one hell of alot of money to even get it into court.

Bring it on bitch, thats all I gotta say right now.

BTW guys, my lab is a female, small.  48lbs last time at the vet!  
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 12:10:31 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That being said, I hope that everything turns out good for you and your pooch (let's hope animal control doesnt' get involved). She was in the wrong from the sounds of it.

Yeah no shit.  Actually as a pit bull owner I have to say this.  A pit that bites a person, is not a good pit.  They've been bred for 200 years to get rid of ALL human aggression and to breed IN animal aggression.  They are 2 distinctly different qualities.  They should never be used as guard dogs and a good one, shouldn't have the ability to be a guard dog.  These damn thugs that are breeding that don't know anything about it, piss me off almost as much as John Kerry.  Unsound pits with human aggression should be put down.  Not in a week, not in a month, yesterday, period.  If it wasn't for over breeding, and bad breeding they wouldnt be what they are.  People such as www.showstopperkennelsga.com should be shot.  Your right.  If it was a pit most people would have tripped.  and the cops probably would have too.  Funny how the same behavior from 2 different breeds elicits 2 different reactions.

+1
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 12:15:12 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Given the same exact circumstances my replies would have been the same.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 12:17:33 PM EDT
[#23]
your different than most.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 12:18:54 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Another UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gotta love the CSO around here.  The guy laughed at me!  Told me that it would be a diff story if my dog had jumped the fence and ran into the street and bit the girl, but by her tyring to open the gate it was a "provoked" bite and we are perfectly fine.  He said he wouldn't even take a bite report untill the girl called it in.  He did say that it wouldnt keep from getting us sued (WTF?) but it would probably take one hell of alot of money to even get it into court.

Bring it on bitch, thats all I gotta say right now.

Good to hear. Glad they are on the side of the 'good guy'.

As far as getting sued, its modern day America. Anyone can sue anyone for almost anything nowadays. Fat people sue McDonalds for.........well,.........being fat. It doesn't mean a lawyer will take the case on (they will look at the case and based on merits of the case, determine if they can make any money). It especially doesn't mean they would win. Remember, a neutral third party (or parties if you request a jury trial) would have to decide. Given the facts as presented here, I don't think either a judge or jury would find you liable for anything. I would counter sue them if they tried.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 12:35:40 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
As far as labs not being an "evil" breed.  They do have one of the highest bite rates of any breed around.I do German Shepherd rescue and own 3 dogs including a pitbull, who is the biggest baby I've got, and will only attack anyone with his tongue.  You SHOULD be covered by your signs,  just depends on the prosecuting attorney.  Some are asses and others are just dicks.  Follow the advice of others and call the cops, file a report, and cya.

I've seen that statistic too and it takes a little more analysis to get to the truth.  Labs' high bite rates are soley due to the sheer number of labs in the population.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 12:44:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Thank you to all who replied.  AMZ advice taken and already taken care of.  The "boss" has not shown or called as of yet.  I am on the fence as whether or not to call him, but I think I will let him make the move as it will probably look better on my end if he just shows up.

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 12:46:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Tagged if there is ever an end and this moron really does try to sue you
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 12:51:02 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
As far as labs not being an "evil" breed.  They do have one of the highest bite rates of any breed around.I do German Shepherd rescue and own 3 dogs including a pitbull, who is the biggest baby I've got, and will only attack anyone with his tongue.  You SHOULD be covered by your signs,  just depends on the prosecuting attorney.  Some are asses and others are just dicks.  Follow the advice of others and call the cops, file a report, and cya.

I've seen that statistic too and it takes a little more analysis to get to the truth.  Labs' high bite rates are soley due to the sheer number of labs in the population.

I'm talking per capita.  Get in a room with a ten labs, ten rotts, and ten pits your more likely to get bit by the lab,  As long as the pits have left them alone to kill each other or the rotts that is.  In the south at least pits are one of the most prevalent breeds (not that you can call them a breed) and they don't bite nearly as often as the media says.  The main problem with them, is that once they decide to bite, they have the highest fatality rate.  While labs do bite more,  they will generally back off before you die.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 12:54:25 PM EDT
[#29]
In before the lets ban this breed because it bit someone DU types.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 12:59:30 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Sorry but after what happened to my friends, It MAY NOT fly. My friends have a "NO TRESSPASSING" and "BEWARE OF DOG" signs on their fence which BTW is 15 feet AWAY from the street. Some woman walking her dog that is NOT on a leash. The dog runs up to the gate where my friend's Chow was and DIGS under the gate and starts to crawl under.. the Chow attacks the dog and the lady reaches under the fence to get her ankle biter and she gets bit too.

Court awarded the tresspassing, no leash, stupid lady THOUSANDS!

My friends had to pay up.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 1:02:59 PM EDT
[#31]
I understand where you are coming from and wish you the best...

However, you need to finish training your dog.  

Most people just start to train them, and never really finish.  That being said, she was in the dog's territory.

I wonder if the dog jumped up on her and she bit her own lip?  I know my dog will "push" at people she doesn't like (with her mouth), but not bit them.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 1:06:33 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I understand where you are coming from and wish you the best...

However, you need to finish training your dog.  

Most people just start to train them, and never really finish.  That being said, she was in the dog's territory.

I wonder if the dog jumped up on her and she bit her own lip?  I know my dog will "push" at people she doesn't like (with her mouth), but not bit them.

My thoughts as well... I think that

1. He was proactive and called the cops himself
2. He has signs
3. SHE tresspassed
4. He OFFERED to take her and she continued to work
5. Neighbor WITNESSED his offer to take her to the hospital

I think they are gonna try to milk $$$ out of you...as Nancy said "Just say NO!"
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 1:13:23 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Wow. This a bitch of a situation, no doubt.

You're gonna trust your CSO to give you legal advice?

I'm not sure what the right thing for you to do is. However, I'd seek legal counsel on this if I owned my home and had Homeowner's insurance.

Your Homeowner's insurance will be the target if there's a lawsuit, not you personally. You might consider talking with whoever issues your policy. If they're worth anything at all, they'll give you some risk management strategies. Alternatively, you might want to consult private counsel. Sure it'll cost you a couple hundred bucks, but it might save you even more.

If you're renting and don't have a fat insurance policy covering "liability" for those who come on your property, you're probably safer. If you have assets, consider transferring to someone else for the time being.

In either case, protect your ass NOW. Don't speculate about "what might be the best thing to do," get some qualified advice. Don't tell yourself, "well, I'll win in court." What you want to do is STAY OUT OF COURT.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 1:22:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Young hispanic lady, 18+ walks up to my gate, with the no solicitor sign and the BEWARE OF DOG SIGN and tries to open the gate and my 10yr old lab jumped up and bit her putting a small hole in her lip. My lab was protecting my house from a possible intrusion from an illegal immigrant.  I then called the police to report a tresspassing and a possible robber on my property that was last seen running to a neighbors house.

quote]
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 1:36:43 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I'm talking per capita.  Get in a room with a ten labs, ten rotts, and ten pits your more likely to get bit by the lab,  As long as the pits have left them alone to kill each other or the rotts that is.  In the south at least pits are one of the most prevalent breeds (not that you can call them a breed) and they don't bite nearly as often as the media says.  The main problem with them, is that once they decide to bite, they have the highest fatality rate.  While labs do bite more,  they will generally back off before you die.

They are indeed a breed. The American Pit Bull Terrier. Pit Bulls aren't a type of dog, they are a specific breed of terrier. That is the critical bit of info that people miss. Not every dog that looks kind of like a pit bull is an American Pit Bull Terrier.

GT
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 1:49:24 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow. This a bitch of a situation, no doubt.

You're gonna trust your CSO to give you legal advice?

I'm not sure what the right thing for you to do is. However, I'd seek legal counsel on this if I owned my home and had Homeowner's insurance.

Your Homeowner's insurance will be the target if there's a lawsuit, not you personally. You might consider talking with whoever issues your policy. If they're worth anything at all, they'll give you some risk management strategies. Alternatively, you might want to consult private counsel. Sure it'll cost you a couple hundred bucks, but it might save you even more.

If you're renting and don't have a fat insurance policy covering "liability" for those who come on your property, you're probably safer. If you have assets, consider transferring to someone else for the time being.

In either case, protect your ass NOW. Don't speculate about "what might be the best thing to do," get some qualified advice. Don't tell yourself, "well, I'll win in court." What you want to do is STAY OUT OF COURT.

KEEEP YOU MOUTH SHUT DO NOT INFORM YOUR HOMEOWNERS INSURANCE YET. DO NOT CALL THEM DO NOT TELL THEM ANYTHING.  Until you are served with papers.  If you tell your homeowners company your dog bit someone they will drop at your renewal, and you will be blacklisted for about 3 to 5 years.  

PS I am liscensed to do insurance in OR.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 1:54:10 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

a 48lb lab?  We talking crystal meth here or what?
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 1:58:36 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Damn your lab must have been the runt of the litter mine is 95 lbs of tongue waiting to lick someone to death
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 2:02:05 PM EDT
[#39]
tag
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 2:02:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Tag
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 2:08:27 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Damn your lab must have been the runt of the litter mine is 95 lbs of tongue waiting to lick someone to death

Man you need to put your lab on a diet! Average GOOD weight for the ones I see is around 60-75 pounds.

Ben
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 2:08:31 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pretty scary. My Viszla (Hunter) bit my neighbhor's (a Dr.) kid in the back. The kid had tormented my dog just beyond his reach (electric fence) for months. He hit Hunter with a long stick or tease him with it. One day the neighborhood kids were all playing in my yard and "Dennis the menace" forgot about his relationship with Hunter. Unfortunately for him, Hunter didn't forget and gave him a good bite in the back.

Man was I afraid of the very same things you are. When I talked to my neighbor, he blew it off saying his kid probably deserved it......go figure.

Good luck!

Bomber
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 2:15:31 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They are indeed a breed. The American Pit Bull Terrier. Pit Bulls aren't a type of dog, they are a specific breed of terrier. That is the critical bit of info that people miss. Not every dog that looks kind of like a pit bull is an American Pit Bull Terrier.

GT

I know all that, I'm talking about the 6 or 7 breeds that the media refers to as pit bulls that actually arne't.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 2:18:09 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
She was OK and refused treatment.  She trespassed and ignored signs (thanks, by the way, I'll have to remember to get my own signs as my insurance will not cover my dog).  Your neighbors are witnesses.  It's a lab and not one of the "evil" breeds.

If they take it to court it probably won't go far.

Yeah, and why do you think your insurance won't cover your dog?

ETA:

You said the solicitor was a teenage girl, and the boss was some guy with an out of state number? Probably a cellphone. A lot of times what happens is you'll end up with these magazine sales companies putting ads out to attract youngsters to make easy money doing sales. Then they load up a bunch of kids in a big van, drive 'em all over the place, and pretty much force them to work their asses off. It's kinda shady, and if this is what's going on it's likely that he's trying to squeeze you for money. He's a professional charlatan. Sorta like a modern day carny.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 2:30:03 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

KEEEP YOU MOUTH SHUT DO NOT INFORM YOUR HOMEOWNERS INSURANCE YET. DO NOT CALL THEM DO NOT TELL THEM ANYTHING.  Until you are served with papers.  If you tell your homeowners company your dog bit someone they will drop at your renewal, and you will be blacklisted for about 3 to 5 years.  

PS I am liscensed to do insurance in OR.

Fair enough.

Like I said, I'm no expert.

Therefore..

Hire yourself some private counsel.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 2:36:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Fit dog with Doggy Flack Jacket..."then" call po-po

Taffy
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 2:38:06 PM EDT
[#47]
sounds like you are in the rigfht to me.

Sgatr15
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 2:38:07 PM EDT
[#48]
What no pic's of the young Hispanic chickie...?!
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 2:49:29 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Man you need to put your lab on a diet! Average GOOD weight for the ones I see is around 60-75 pounds.

Ben

actually he is just a little under ideal weight for his height (acording to our vet) he is only a year old so he still has to fill out to full adult weight.

My brothers 3 yr old lab is 110lbs and is not fat.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 3:00:39 PM EDT
[#50]
I would retain a lawyer and wait and see what happens if anything does come out of it like an asinine lawsuit then turn the claim over to your homeowners insurance they will pick up the tab for the lawyer, but there is no need to inform them if nothing is going to happen.  Personally I think the guy is blowing alot of steam if it were me I would document the call to the police station and wait until I heard something before I lawyered up.  No sense in wasting time or money if nothing is going to happen.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top