Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 3/16/2005 6:54:19 AM EST
Getting a full HVAC replacement. Work Underway.
Pitched / sold a Carrier system, signed and charged, told after the fact it'll be branded 'Kenmore' "but it's the same equipment".
Contracted installers did all the tearout and prep work yesterday, and last evening got the furnace operational to face the Arctic 48F SoCal overnight temps (brrr). I didn't pay attention at the time, but I've got a HEIL furnace now.

Started grilling the installers, the efficiencies and performance specs - 80% 2-speed furnace, 12 seer condenser / matching coils are the same.

So have I been charged a Premium price for a Premium Brand, only to get a functional equivalent?
And how does pricing compare between the brands?

It's a vast improvement over what we had, regardless, and the installation has been great, but I'll be damned if we get billed a premium price for a substitution.

What say you?
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 7:02:55 AM EST
I say if you signed a contract for "X" brand to be installed then thats what you get. Not a different name thats the "functional equiv."
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 7:05:02 AM EST

Originally Posted By otar:
I say if you signed a contract for "X" brand to be installed then thats what you get. Not a different name thats the "functional equiv."

+1
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 7:08:33 AM EST

Originally Posted By Archangel6:

+1

+2

I would have stopped the whole operation until it was resolved. Period. My money, and I will get what I am paying for!
CH
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 8:27:29 AM EST
Oh make no mistake, 'getting what I pay for' is my intent, but I also have no strong 'brand loyalty'.
The damage was done - old HVAC removed and shitcanned, and the replacement equip partially installed before I noticed the brand issue.
I've got personal time and earning constraints, don't want the further expense of halting the operation - I'm looking for an arfcom HVAC Professional to give me the lowdown on the equipment's worth and quality. I personally don't mind a different brand of equipment, if it is suitable / decent.
I won't to find out what the value is of what I've got, before I ram the situation up the Seller's arse.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 8:46:13 AM EST
Suggest you ask these folks:

www.contractortalk.com/
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 9:39:26 AM EST

Originally Posted By Cape_hunter:

Originally Posted By Archangel6:

+1

+2

I would have stopped the whole operation until it was resolved. Period. My money, and I will get what I am paying for!
CH

+3

I would much rather have a Carrier brand then a Heil.

You got phucked.

What was the SEER rating on the Carrier as compared to the Heil?

Which compressor does each one have? Was it a scroll compressor?
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 9:50:28 AM EST
You just got ripped off. Carrier is much more expensive than the offbrand they are trying to pawn off on you.They just installed an older un-paid for piece of equipment that was sitting in their shop.
You may want to take a close look at what they started installing and see if it is a re-furbished unit,this is usually the case when they pull a bait and switch.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 10:00:26 AM EST
[Last Edit: 3/16/2005 10:11:28 AM EST by Shooter505]
rayra

The carrier unit is more expensive especially if you were charged for the Puron upgrade. I stress the Puron upgrade because it is much more expensive. Heil is a good brand but not at the same price point as the Carrier and not as good as the Carrier unit. My suggestion would be that if you are happy with the Heil and have a signed contract for the Carrier unit you need to get a couple of prices from other contractors for the Heil unit and for the Carrier unit. I would then sit down with your contractor and explain that you are not happy about the switch but are willing to negotiate the price difference and keep the Heil. Make sure you write a contract for the change and if your present contractor does not want to work with you and you have a signed contract for the Carrier tell him he will need to take the Heil unit out and install the Carrier unit or else you are headed for court. If the contractor has half a brain and any ethics he will work with you without litigation.

Edited to add: Something else you may want to consider is that Carrier has a 1000.00 rebate for installing their products now. Check it out on thier web site.
Top Top