Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/16/2014 4:46:02 PM EDT
I recently moved out into the rural area of Ohio and find myself driving on country roads at night very frequently. Since country roads have poor lighting, I find myself struggling to see at night while driving. Deer and other critters are abundant in the area and I would like to avoid them as much as possible. I feel better lighting will help me out.

I have been thinking about putting a HID kit in my 2009 Honda Accord.

The kit I am considering is from DDM Tuning plug and play kit.

Here is the direct link - http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DDM-HID-Kit-Slim-Ballast-35W-or-55W

Which kit would be more reliable? 35 watt or 55 watt?

I am aware that putting HID lighting into a halogen housing can potentially cause some glare to be produced. That being said, I have a few friends that have done this install and have never been flashed or had an encounter with the law. Let's try to stay on topic and not focus on this aspect.
Link Posted: 1/16/2014 5:06:10 PM EDT
Do 35 watt to cut down on glare and some kits are low beam only.

Also usually they allow two extra driving lights besides your head lights.  Lots of led options or you can add a set of his in.
Link Posted: 1/16/2014 5:07:00 PM EDT
Do 35 watt to cut down on glare and some kits are low beam only.

Also usually they allow two extra driving lights besides your head lights.  Lots of led options or you can add a set of his in.
Link Posted: 1/16/2014 5:14:09 PM EDT
Honda high beams are not weak.

Have you considered LED lighting?
Link Posted: 1/16/2014 5:37:51 PM EDT
For rural areas as you describe, any DOT approved light will be disappointing at best.  You really need off-road lights.
Link Posted: 1/16/2014 5:40:41 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/16/2014 5:45:31 PM EDT
I'm not talking about cheap HID knockoffs or other crap like that.

http://www.rigidindustries.com/led-lighting/120312

Link Posted: 1/16/2014 5:46:35 PM EDT
We live in the boonies and have deer crossing . I installed 55 watt hid's in my GMC driving lights housings . They really work good but blind on coming cars.
Link Posted: 1/16/2014 6:10:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/16/2014 6:11:17 PM EDT by armamnt]
Do not under any circumstances install an HID kit into your usdm honda headlight housings. The scatter pattern and reflector design are not compatible. You'll get less performance and you'll be blinding people at the same time.

Do add any led light bars or add dedicated hid assembles to the front of the car under the bumper. Aim them accordingly and relay the power feeds.

Link Posted: 1/17/2014 1:13:41 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote

I have an Accord (06) and I really want that light!
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 3:59:13 PM EDT
I had a 2010 Accord that I installed HIR bulbs in.   Some trimming of the tabs will be required for installation in your existing bulb sockets. These seemed to help quite a bit. Plus, I didn't blind on-coming traffic with the bleed from HIDs w/out a good projector.

I now drive a 2012 TSX and LOVE the headlight performance.  I understand that the TSX has good projectors.
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 9:28:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/17/2014 9:31:18 PM EDT by iroc409]
Originally Posted By armamnt:
Do not under any circumstances install an HID kit into your usdm honda headlight housings. The scatter pattern and reflector design are not compatible. You'll get less performance and you'll be blinding people at the same time.

Do add any led light bars or add dedicated hid assembles to the front of the car under the bumper. Aim them accordingly and relay the power feeds.

View Quote

Do this!  PNP kits are dangerous for everyone on the road.

Hella makes 90MM headlight assemblies you can fab into your vehicle, and the come in both halogen or HID depending on your needs.  Or, get some Rallye Compacts or something.

Several of the LED light bars give out amazing amounts of light, but sometimes have very limited distance.  If you're driving at speed, I'd recommend a more traditional driving light like Hella's stuff.  A good eurobeam, or get one spot and one cornering beam, something like that.  Cibie & Hella make good stuff, some of the Lightforce type lights are pretty limited in their actual application: mostly desert racing long straightaways or avoiding kangaroos at high speed.
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 7:04:24 AM EDT
Originally Posted By iroc409:

Hella makes 90MM headlight assemblies you can fab into your vehicle, and the come in both halogen or HID depending on your needs.  Or, get some Rallye Compacts or something.

Several of the LED light bars give out amazing amounts of light, but sometimes have very limited distance.  If you're driving at speed, I'd recommend a more traditional driving light like Hella's stuff.  A good eurobeam, or get one spot and one cornering beam, something like that.  Cibie & Hella make good stuff, some of the Lightforce type lights are pretty limited in their actual application: mostly desert racing long straightaways or avoiding kangaroos at high speed.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Thes two post are the correct answers.

Tha fact you lose high beams should tell you to forget about the cheap way out.
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 5:24:45 PM EDT
Whatever you do, don't stick HIDs in the stock housings unless you can get rid of the glare. When someone drives toward me with their brights on, or with cheap glaring HIDs, I flip my highs on too.

That may not sound so bad, but a buddy once described my bike's high beams as "HOLY FUCKING SHIT! IT'S THE ALL SEEING EYE OF GOD!"

Link Posted: 1/18/2014 10:32:08 PM EDT
Unpopular opinion here.... the majority of plug and play kits are shit. If you want to look like a 16 year old with blue headlights be my quest. If you truly want better quality and reliability, spend the extra money on a projector retrofit.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 2:15:05 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Ubar_Jay:
Unpopular opinion here.... the majority of plug and play kits are shit. If you want to look like a 16 year old with blue headlights be my quest. If you truly want better quality and reliability, spend the extra money on a projector retrofit.
View Quote

This.

Had HID's in my stock housings before I knew better. After putting a good set of halogens back in, I really don't see much difference at night; the light output with the HID's was just too scattered.

Now I run a 30" LED light bar for any extraordinary lighting needs.

Link Posted: 1/20/2014 4:50:23 AM EDT
If your lights are projector you will be ok.

A lot of folks put in HID's in NON projector lights, this blinds the living crap out of oncoming drivers. The light is bright, and no way to direct it. That's why ALL cars that have HID's from the factory are low beams with the glass bubble projector lens.

Link Posted: 1/20/2014 7:51:39 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Snert:

A lot of folks put in HID's in NON projector lights, this blinds the living crap out of oncoming drivers. The light is bright, and no way to direct it. That's why ALL cars that have HID's from the factory are low beams with the glass bubble projector lens.

View Quote

That isn't true.  There are many vehicles that are sold with HID's but do not have projector headlights.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 9:37:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/20/2014 9:38:09 AM EDT by Requiem]
Lots of great options here for a great price and lifetime warranty:

http://www.lifetimeledlights.com/

They are GTG.  Great vendor.

They also have LED headlight bulbs... HID is old tech now.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 9:44:43 AM EDT
Originally Posted By fook:

View All Quotes

AMEN.

Let's not focus on that aspect???  That's ALL you should focus on....

Link Posted: 1/21/2014 6:33:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/21/2014 6:37:11 AM EDT by bailey559]
Originally Posted By FALARAK:

AMEN.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FALARAK:

AMEN.

+1

Installing HIDs in halogen housings is just a waste of money.  Either purchase the correct housings to go with them, or just get quality halogen lights.

ETA:

Projector Housings

Halogen Bulbs
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 6:42:38 AM EDT
I'm getting tired of people installing these aftermarket light kits and blinding everyone.

The high end manufactures that use Xenon include auto-level functions with the factory Xenon lights so the lights automatically level out no matter what the situation.

Are you saying your bights are not bright enough?
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 2:50:50 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Requiem:

Lots of great options here for a great price and lifetime warranty:

http://www.lifetimeledlights.com/

They are GTG.  Great vendor.

They also have LED headlight bulbs... HID is old tech now.
View Quote

Those LED headlights look like they are barely putting out any light

Link Posted: 1/23/2014 8:47:17 AM EDT
If you want LED headlights, JW Speaker and Trucklite are probably the only brands.  They make retrofit lights that have a proper beam pattern.  JW Speaker even makes a driving light (with an actual driving light beam, unlike most LED bars).  Rigid makes great LED bars for utility lights and off-road lighting, where you need gobs of localized light.  Too much foreground light, which is often the case with PNP kits can be a huge hindrance to distance vision (that which is required for highway speeds).

Also, avoid tinted halogens; stuff like Silverstars are mostly a scam.  They overdrive the filament to get more light from it, hence their claims.  However, they coat the bulb with a blue filter to make the light more "white".  That blue filter actually reduces the light output, since blue is a major portion of the light produced from a bulb.  Therefore, despite the over-driven filament putting out more light, you get about the same amount of light as a regular factory bulb.  You also get the privilege of significantly shorter life and extreme cost.

Philips makes some very good bulbs that do put out more power.  Osram makes a higher-watt H4 that can be used with factory lighting.  When I had those bulbs in my Tacoma, except for distance, I could barely notice my poorly-chosen Lightforce 240's even being in operation.  Crazy bright bulbs!  Some HIR bulbs can be modified for factory housings as well, but you have to be careful with with the housings.

There are reflector-based HID systems, but they are built from the start for HID's significantly different source shape, compare to halogen's shape.  This is the majority of what makes PNP kits dangerous (that, and light source placement).
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 3:58:49 AM EDT
Originally Posted By lancerplayer:
I am aware that putting HID lighting into a halogen housing can potentially cause some glare to be produced. That being said, I have a few friends that have done this install and have never been flashed or had an encounter with the law. Let's try to stay on topic and not focus on this aspect.
View Quote

Not getting caught doesn't make it legal or any less douchebag to do. Get the correct housings.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 4:02:55 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Snert:

View Quote

Most cars with HIDs are projectors, there are a few that still have reflector housings. My Volvo V70R has factory HIDs in reflectors. It came out right at the very beginning of when HIDs came out so the standard hadn't been established yet. They got around the scatter issue by having the reflector housing set on a track and the entire housing moves in relation to the bulb whenever you switch to high beams.

Link Posted: 1/25/2014 2:39:25 PM EDT
Originally Posted By lancerplayer:
I recently moved out into the rural area of Ohio and find myself driving on country roads at night very frequently. Since country roads have poor lighting, I find myself struggling to see at night while driving. Deer and other critters are abundant in the area and I would like to avoid them as much as possible. I feel better lighting will help me out.

I have been thinking about putting a HID kit in my 2009 Honda Accord.

The kit I am considering is from DDM Tuning plug and play kit.

Here is the direct link - http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DDM-HID-Kit-Slim-Ballast-35W-or-55W

Which kit would be more reliable? 35 watt or 55 watt?

View Quote

Given the time of the year, do you keep your head lights clean?  Salt will cut way down on the light.
Top Top