www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=45810

EMINENT DOMANIA!
Souter-home seizer to meet with residents
Will travel to New Hampshire to plan condemnation of justice's property
Posted: August 17, 2005
1:00 a.m. Eastern

By Ron Strom
© 2005 WorldNetDaily.com

The California property-rights activist who is determined to have a New Hampshire town seize the property of Supreme Court Justice David Souter under eminent domain plans to travel there this weekend to meet with local residents working on the project.

As WorldNetDaily reported, Los Angeles advertising entrepreneur Logan Darrow Clements has spearheaded a campaign to have the city of Weare, N.H., condemn Souter's property, a modest 200-year-old farmhouse on eight acres, in retaliation for his vote approving the seizure of homes in Connecticut in the Kelo v. City of New London case.

The decision, handed down June 23, allows the New London, Conn., government to seize the homes and businesses of residents to facilitate the building of an office complex that would provide economic benefits to the area and more tax revenue to the city.

Though the practice of eminent domain is provided for in the Fifth Amendment of the Constitution, the Keo is significant because the seizure is for private development and not for "public use," such as a highway or bridge.

Clements plans to create on Souter's land the "Lost Liberty Hotel," a kind of museum commemorating the lost right to private property in America.

Because the Board of Selectmen of Weare has rejected Clements' request to condemn the property, Darrow hopes to use a ballot initiative to do the job.

According to Darrow's website, the initiative would effect the seizure of the property and clear away local laws that might hinder the hotel project. The activist says he'll meet with residents Monday, hoping to begin the process to place a measure on the ballot in March. He says only 25 signatures are needed to put the initiative before the voters.

The town's website notes there are 5,552 registered voters in Weare, while 2,038 showed up to vote in the last election.

"Whoever said this project 'will never happen' might find themselves sitting in the Just Desserts Café eating crow pie next to David Souter," Clements said in a statement.

The Just Desserts Café is a restaurant planned to be part of the Lost Liberty Hotel complex.

Monday's meeting is scheduled for 7 p.m. at the Radisson Hotel in Manchester, N.H. Clements is promising the first 25 attendees a free copy of Ayn Rand's libertarian classic "Atlas Shrugged."

The activist told WND he has heard from about 25 residents of Weare who support the Souter project, some of whom he will meet with about the ballot initiative.

David Archambault, who runs a go-cart track near Souter's home, is one of the project's supporters.

"What this is doing I think is wonderful, because he's getting a point across to all these people that they're getting too much power," Archambault told the Associated Press.

Clements is also recruiting for developers interested in building his new hotel.

"The advantages are extensive," he says in his pitch. "Thousands of people want to finance it, nearly every type of sub-contractor has offered free services during construction, millions of people know about it and thousands more want to support it as customers. You build it, we'll film it, and the 93 percent of America that was opposed to the Supreme Court's ruling in Kelo v. City of New London will thank you."

As WorldNetDaily reported, the Libertarian Party of New Hampshire wants the city of Plainfield, N.H., to seize the 167-acre vacation retreat of Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer, another of the five justices who voted against the Connecticut homeowners. In its place, Libertarians hope to see a "Constitution Park" featuring monuments celebrating the U.S. and New Hampshire constitutions.

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:01:36 AM EDT
[#1]
IBTWNDB - In Before The World Net Daily Bashers
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:05:19 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
IBTWNDB - In Before The World Net Daily Bashers

+1 - I hear you.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:06:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Clements....I need to send this guy money....
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:06:42 AM EDT
[#4]

Good stuff.  That guy actually got off his duff and DID SOMETHING about the direction our country is headed in.

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:09:20 AM EDT
[#5]
You know...

It would be kind of nice if this happened...

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:25:53 AM EDT
[#6]
I hope he succeeds.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:36:28 AM EDT
[#7]
God speed Logan Darrow Clements

GM
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:38:45 AM EDT
[#8]
I somehow doubt that the balls exist in the right people who can make this happen.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:43:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:49:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Gosh, normally people on this board rip and tear into libertarians.

I guess we're not worthless, eh?
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:03:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Ladies and Gentlemen, I present to you the definition of chutzpah.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:06:23 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Not worthless. I would rather have foil hat loons who dont trust the gov instead of Democrats. I would love to see the Dem party go away and get replaced by a party distrustful of the gov. I would prefer it be the Constitutionalists , but you kooks will be a decent substitute.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:11:25 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

You have your uses.

I don't beleive one needs be a Libertarian to support these actions against Breyer and Souter.

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:35:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Go Clements, go!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top