Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Posted: 5/13/2002 8:38:46 AM EDT
This comes from the Bristol Herald Courier;

"Grundy- A Nigerian-born student accused of killing three people in a shooting rampage at the Appalachian School of Law finally will hear some of the evidence against him in court next month.

 Peter Odighizuwa, 44, faces a June 20 preliminary hearing in Buchanan County General District Court.

 At that hearing, prosecutors are expected to present some of the evidece supporting the three capitol murder charges, three attempted capitol murder charges, and six charges of illegally using a firearm.

 A judge will then determine whether the evidence is sufficient to send the case to a grand jury for possible indictment. Prosecutors are seeking the death penalty.

 It will have taken five months for the case against Odighiizuwa to progress to the preliminary hearing stage. The Hearing was delayed earlier this year so he could undergo a mental evaluation - the results of which have not been made public."

 "According to police, Odighiizuwa spoke to one professor, asking for his prayers, then went to Sutin's and Blackwell's second floor offices and opened fire.

 Both men were shot execution - style - Blackwell in the neck and Sutin twice in the back, according to a county coroner. They were dead by the time rescuers arrived.

 Dales was shot on the first floor as she tried to warn other students of the shooting, police have said. She died later at the hospital.

 The three wounded students were shot in a student lounge as they tried to run away, police said.

 Odighiizuwa was arrested after he was subdued by four students, some of whom had police backgrounds and were armed with handguns, police said.

 According to Police he told these students: "I had to do it. I didn't know what else to do. I had no where else to go."

 Once he was in custody Odighiizuwa said nothing and asked for a lawyer.

 In court, he claimed he was mentally ill and being denied medication.

 Odighiizuwa was being held at New River Valley Regional Detention Center - in Dublin near Wythville - pending trial.

 Repeated attempts to reach Commonwealth's Attorney Sheila Tolliver about the status of the case were unsuccessful."

This artical was printed front page yesterday and was written by Andrea Hopkins. You may contact Miss Hopkins at [email][email protected][/email]

I hope you find this informative.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top