Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 2/18/2009 4:38:17 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/14/2009 12:06:25 PM EST by The_Insider]
Original post: I guess I've got to go see a shrink. I've been on 300mg of Effexor XR for years now for the depression. For the first three years I had nightmares about her every effing night. Finally started to end about a year ago. Now they've started up again. Even had one about our dead son. Hate to wake up so bummed out.

I wonder if this is from too much general stress, too much Effexor for too long. Too many memories, etc.

Any pharms or folks using EffexorXR got experience with this?

Update: I waited too long but I an nearly off EffexorXR. I am back under a doctor's care. Getting back on lithium which I was on many years ago. I was originally diagnosed as bi-polar. I didn't like that. A few years later, I was disagnosed as simply clinically depressed as I was trying to get through a lifetime of shit. Well, I am bi-polar and the EffexorXR was not the thing to be on. I am feeling much better. The nighmares are easing off and I don't have the feeling of dread I had all the time.

ARFCOMers encouraged me to do this months ago. I am tremendously grateful for the encouragement. I am optimistic about life for the first time in years.

Sometimes posting personal struggles on ARFCOM is a good idea.
Link Posted: 2/18/2009 4:44:54 AM EST
Thats not a normal effect of that med. You should stop taking it and see a doctor. Shit is bad news it screwed up my wife for a while.
Link Posted: 2/18/2009 4:58:49 AM EST
Don't listen to the knucklehead above me. DO NOT just stop taking Effexor, it can cause some nasty problems. You have to be weaned off of it by a psychiatrist. Now, one possible side effect of Effexor is incredibly vivid dreams, ask me how I know...I would talk to your doctor about starting to wean you off of it, and possibly try something else.
Link Posted: 2/18/2009 5:02:59 AM EST
See your doc. Sounds like it might be time to try another pill.

Effexor was the first pill they put me on and it turned me into a potted plant.
Link Posted: 2/18/2009 5:05:44 AM EST
Originally Posted By Keymaster4225:
Don't listen to the knucklehead above me. DO NOT just stop taking Effexor, it can cause some nasty problems. You have to be weaned off of it by a psychiatrist. Now, one possible side effect of Effexor is incredibly vivid dreams, ask me how I know...I would talk to your doctor about starting to wean you off of it, and possibly try something else.

This person is right in that you should definitely NOT listen to the idiot telling you to stop the Effexor. Sudden cessation of anti-depressants can lead to an increase in suicidal ideation, among other things. Any healthcare provider can wean you off your medication if you don't want to be on it anymore; just call you Doctor/PA/NP and ask them about it. It is a pretty simple process. Abnormal dreams are a common side effect of Effexor and other anti-depressants like it, so don't be alarmed. If it's too much for you, talk about switching.

Link Posted: 2/18/2009 5:17:09 AM EST

Originally Posted By Japle:
it turned me into a potted plant.

Potted plants are underrated.

Sorry to hear you lost your boy. Divorce would seem easy compared to that. Get to the doc!
Link Posted: 2/18/2009 5:20:46 AM EST
You need to get off that shit ASAP.
Link Posted: 2/18/2009 5:25:08 AM EST
I have NO medical advice to offer - but if you'd like to talk, IM me. 5 years is a LONG time to struggle with a divorce.

Link Posted: 2/18/2009 5:25:51 AM EST
Sorry to hear about your loses. Have you talked to anyone about PTSD? This has been a traumatic event for you and probably has had serious effects on your mental well being.
Link Posted: 2/18/2009 5:32:57 AM EST
As pissed off as I am about my wife right now - I can't imagine being so mad/scared/hurt that she would give me nightmares. Throw a dead son on top - WTF?

Good luck man.
Link Posted: 2/18/2009 5:34:44 AM EST
See the Dr. shrink to adjust meds. DO NOT QUIT TAKING IT. You will crash hard. 300mg is a lot too since the max dosage recommended is 225mg a day and above that is experimental or at least was. If I was taking that much I'd make sure to do regular checkups with the shrink.

See a therapist shrink to figure out the dreams. Not interpretation but what else is going on with you that is causing them to worsen.

/not professional advice just someone that stayed in a holiday inn express, go see your real Dr.
Link Posted: 2/18/2009 5:36:06 AM EST
1) Go to your doc immediately and tell him that the side effects of the drug are unacceptable.
2) Have him wean you off the drug (he'll just give you a scheduled plan to reduce the dose until you're at zero)
3) Stop going to the shrink and taking pills to make your life better - you've proven that is ineffective.
4) Go to the gym
5) Do some volunteer/charity work
6) Go back to church
7) Rescue a dog from a shelter

Pills are temporary solution to a temporary lifestyle problem. If you refuse to make the lifestyle changes that create and prolong depression, no amount of drugs in the world will "fix" you. You will forever be having problems like the one you posted. By giving you the drugs for so long, your doc is trying to fix the symptoms without fixing the problem.

Just as modern politicians try to throw money at problems... modern shrinks try to throw pills at problems instead of addressing the lifestyle problems that have created the depression in the first place.
Matt
Link Posted: 2/18/2009 5:39:58 AM EST
[Last Edit: 2/18/2009 5:41:01 AM EST by The_Giant]
I spent 4 good yrs of my life on anti depressants and zanex, its hard but you need to wean yourself off it. If you are not suicidal, talk to your doc about coming off the meds. And as was stated earlier, don't just stop, serious withdrawal symptons have occured. And if you need to chat, just get on here and someone willl listen and feel your pain...women have that effect on all of us brother, you are not alone.....
Link Posted: 2/18/2009 5:44:04 AM EST
[Last Edit: 2/18/2009 5:46:21 AM EST by nikkif8]
Originally Posted By valheru21:
1) Go to your doc immediately and tell him that the side effects of the drug are unacceptable.
2) Have him wean you off the drug (he'll just give you a scheduled plan to reduce the dose until you're at zero)
3) Stop going to the shrink and taking pills to make your life better - you've proven that is ineffective.
4) Go to the gym
5) Do some volunteer/charity work
6) Go back to church
7) Rescue a dog from a shelter

Pills are temporary solution to a temporary lifestyle problem. If you refuse to make the lifestyle changes that create and prolong depression, no amount of drugs in the world will "fix" you. You will forever be having problems like the one you posted. By giving you the drugs for so long, your doc is trying to fix the symptoms without fixing the problem.

Just as modern politicians try to throw money at problems... modern shrinks try to throw pills at problems instead of addressing the lifestyle problems that have created the depression in the first place.
Matt

+1 This is all basically what I was going to say.

I have never been an advocate for drugs, anyone I have ever known on them never got better and thought that they couldn't even live without the meds. If they had just gotten off them they could of worked on themselves. I think the depression never goes away as long as you are on the meds, it just supresses it. You still have to work on your inner happiness.

I also think that you have not fully gone through the grieving process since your mind has been polluted with meds all this time. It can take a long time. You need to grieve and move on from your son's death and your divorce. I do understand what you are going through a little bit as my ex was on depression and anxiety meds for years, he wouldn't go off them- he didn't think he could live without them, he killed himself and his father in a car accident. The grieving process for me took a very long time but I know going through all that made me who I am today.

I am really sorry for your losses and if you need to chat you can PM me any time. Friends are what helped me during hard times like this, not meds. Helping others is a big one too, gets you out of yourself and makes you feel really good! Same with exercise.
Link Posted: 2/18/2009 5:50:54 AM EST
I didn't see if it was mentioned above, but I'm not a big fan of ONLY chemical treatment for Psych disorders. (I'll state right now that I'm a DPM...Podiatrist, so it is NOT my area of knowledge, so this is more personal opinion.).

I think depression is overdiagnosed, and a lot of the people that get Effexor, Celexa, Prozac, etc, etc. etc. probably don't have to be on them anyway...from what I have read, they are not "anti depressants" as much as "mood levelers" They keep you in a neutral (not depressed, but not excited either) state. People without 'real' depression are probably fine on just the drugs.

Now for the other side.....people with real depression (and from your nightmares, it sounds like you qualify) then get shuffled into the same category as the above....the "here, take this drug and you'll feel better" crowd. These are the people who need some regular contact with a Psychiatrist (MD to prescribe the medications) and with some kind of a counselor to help deal with what the drug can't do.

Don't stop taking the medication....abrupt cessation can cause VERY bad problems. Call and see a Psychiatrist immediately. Have them recommend a counselor in addition to any medications.
Link Posted: 2/18/2009 6:09:08 AM EST
Like most folks have said go see your DOC.

After 6 years on Effexor XR I have found that I have to vary my dosage a couple of times a year.

For me 300mg was way to much. I have found that 150mg through the winter and 75mg through the summer works well.

Not suggesting the same dosage just an example of the adjustments that work well for me. Most Docs will agree that a steady state does not work for everyone and you need to tune for current situations.
Link Posted: 2/18/2009 6:12:23 AM EST
Taking anti-depressants for years is just symptom management, and obviously doesn't fix the problem.

Find something active and positive to occupy your time.
Link Posted: 2/18/2009 6:24:34 AM EST
[Last Edit: 2/18/2009 6:39:17 AM EST by mw365]
Originally Posted By Wrekless:
See the Dr. shrink to adjust meds. DO NOT QUIT TAKING IT. You will crash hard. 300mg is a lot too since the max dosage recommended is 225mg a day and above that is experimental or at least was. If I was taking that much I'd make sure to do regular checkups with the shrink.

See a therapist shrink to figure out the dreams. Not interpretation but what else is going on with you that is causing them to worsen.

/not professional advice just someone that stayed in a holiday inn express, go see your real Dr.

300mg a max dose.

OP, see your doctor, and ignore the idiots in this thread who are suggesting that medication is not going to help you. Unless, of course, they are mental health professionals offering their expert opinions to anonymous strangers on the internet.

One possibility: ask your doctor about switching to Effexor (not XR). It's not time-released, and is generic. It's the same drug you're taking (venlafaxine), but the timing of your doses would be different (like possibly twice a day since it's not extended release). Changing the dosing might improve (or worsen) the side effects. It might help with the one you're taking now, too. Just a possibility, and I'm not a doctor, so ask yours. Good luck.

Link Posted: 2/18/2009 6:38:27 AM EST
[Last Edit: 2/18/2009 7:13:57 AM EST by valheru21]
Originally Posted By mw365:
Originally Posted By Wrekless:

300mg a max dose.

OP, see your doctor, and ignore the idiots in this thread who are suggesting that medication is not going to help you. Unless, of course, they are mental health professionals offering their expert opinions to anonymous strangers on the internet.

After 5 years.... it ain't working. If you want the OP to simply exist in a haze of medication, refusing to live his life and, instead, simply waiting to die, then, by all means, continue suggesting that exercising self-mastery and self-control while actively engaging life will not help. You don't by chance work for a pharmacutical company do you? Or are you a "mental health professional" who receives kickbacks for all the drugs you prescribe?

I've dealt with this shit in those close to me. Those that elected to make lifestyle changes to end their depression (while being temporarily helped by medication) were and are better off in the end (when they stopped taking the meds - usually in contravention to the suggestion of the "mental health professional). Those who continued, years later, to take the medication were shells of their former selves, and their lives were summed up as, "waiting to die." I have ZERO respect for every shrink I've met. They are pathetic examples of the human race who (9 times out of ten, can't even get their OWN house in order) simply prey upon those who come to them for help.

OP: no one is going to fix you except you. You are the primary decision-maker in your treatment. If the stuff the doc is giving you is not correct, tell him to give you the plan to wean yourself off of it. Personally, I counsel people who are thinking of taking medication to get the "wean-off-plan" before they take their first dose... so that when the meds start doing stupid shit, and the doc is playing golf in Hawaii, you can wean yourself off on your own.
Matt

ETA: I'm sure there are some shrinks that are worthwhile and genuinely good people, but the ones I have met... are not.
Link Posted: 2/18/2009 7:59:39 AM EST
Thanks for the advice. I am going to get back under a MDs care instead of just refills through the mail.

Someone said "waiting to die." Wow, that is my life. I am alive because I'm not dead. And I'm not dead because mostly I don't want to piss off God (or hurt my remaining family). I get up in the morning and go to work. I work looking forward to going home. I go home looking forward to bedtime. I go to bed looking forward to sleep. Repeat as needed.

I have stuff to be happy for: two granddaughters, a good daughter, a good son, meaningful work, 150 guns (but I always want more because the last purchase really didn't fix anything), friends, etc. The paycheck comes, I pay the bills, buy some stuff, wait for the next one. Some day I'll be old enough to retire or too old to work. Then I'll turning waiting to die into a full time job.

The loneliness is such a killer. I'm too screwed up for a meaningful relationship....hell, even crazy people know that. No room in my apartment for a dog and I can't abide cats. I have my students, and for a few minutes every hour I really enjoy teaching, but it really is just a job. No matter what you do for a living, it really just gets down to work.

I need to see a doctor. But by 5 pm I just want to go to my apartment and shut the door. I surf ARFCOM hoping I might be of some use to others...or others are of some entertainment to me. The TV is always one so I can learn more about the Luftwaffe or some other total waste of time.

I go to church but I cry nearly every service. The divorce after 30 years, the suicide of my son, being alone, feeling guilty, getting older, knowing that I will be alone wear me down. I wish TSWHTF as twisted as that sounds. At least I could go down fighting for something other than waiting for another part of me to stop working as well as it did.

If you have someone in your life who is precious, do everything you can to keep that relationship healthy and ongoing. Loneliness is worse that death. Divorce is worse than fighting. She was my world for 30 years and she tossed me aside. We went through the death of our son together and I tried so hard to keep the family together, but I didn't have what it took. The other kids grew up and went away. Can't blame them. Their two parents were like zombies who later went after each other. When a family gets torn apart, where do people go?
Link Posted: 2/18/2009 8:18:34 AM EST
[Last Edit: 2/18/2009 8:20:52 AM EST by rebelceb]
dude, seriously, effexor is the devil.

i sympathize with your situation, although i cannot fully understand it. i am 31, single, have a great family and a great girlfriend with a job that i love and do alot of volunteer work (volunteer fd mostly), but there are times that i have just gotten down in the dumps or caught in a rut.

i was on effexor for awhile and it made me even more crazy and irritable that i would have been had i chosen to be crazy. off the drugs im not crazy, but just needed a little push. almost like adult adhd type symptoms.

i got the doc to take me off it (which he stopped me cold turkey ) and started me on welbutrin. a light dose and it just gives me that extra little push i needed without making me a zombie.

seriously go talk to a different doc and like has been said, if needed im me, but also know your arfcom brethren are here to give you a pep talk.

ETA: when the doc stopped me cold turkey on the effexor, it fucking SUCKED! withdrawal like crazy and some pretty violent mood swings and thoughts. just make sure to not let the doc do that to you.
Link Posted: 2/18/2009 8:25:25 AM EST
I have night mares that my ex wants to get back together and for some reason I can't stop it from happening. I feel GREAT when I wake up and realize it was only a dream. This is not a joke post. I REALLY wish I could get those night mares to stop. I was on anti depressants while I was married. Didn't need them any more after it was over.
Link Posted: 2/18/2009 8:33:50 AM EST
I was on Effexor XR for about 10 years. Extreme anxiety and ptsd were/are my issues. I totally understand how you are feeling too. I used to live just because I lacked enough desire to shoot myself in the mouth. I am not going to air all my dirty laundry on Arf.com, but I want you to know there are people who understand how you feel. First thing is to see someone who knows more about the meds than what is on a pamplet. Find a Psychologist you can talk to. MD's usually don't have a clue about the psych drugs they write. Now, I am on a diffenent medication, much less side effects, and looking forward to things again. Please understand that you can feel better, and all is not hopeless.
PM me if you need anything.
Link Posted: 2/18/2009 8:49:15 AM EST
Originally Posted By The_Insider:
Thanks for the advice. I am going to get back under a MDs care instead of just refills through the mail.

Someone said "waiting to die." Wow, that is my life. I am alive because I'm not dead. And I'm not dead because mostly I don't want to piss off God (or hurt my remaining family). I get up in the morning and go to work. I work looking forward to going home. I go home looking forward to bedtime. I go to bed looking forward to sleep. Repeat as needed.

I have stuff to be happy for: two granddaughters, a good daughter, a good son, meaningful work, 150 guns (but I always want more because the last purchase really didn't fix anything), friends, etc. The paycheck comes, I pay the bills, buy some stuff, wait for the next one. Some day I'll be old enough to retire or too old to work. Then I'll turning waiting to die into a full time job.

The loneliness is such a killer. I'm too screwed up for a meaningful relationship....hell, even crazy people know that. No room in my apartment for a dog and I can't abide cats. I have my students, and for a few minutes every hour I really enjoy teaching, but it really is just a job. No matter what you do for a living, it really just gets down to work.

I need to see a doctor. But by 5 pm I just want to go to my apartment and shut the door. I surf ARFCOM hoping I might be of some use to others...or others are of some entertainment to me. The TV is always one so I can learn more about the Luftwaffe or some other total waste of time.

I go to church but I cry nearly every service. The divorce after 30 years, the suicide of my son, being alone, feeling guilty, getting older, knowing that I will be alone wear me down. I wish TSWHTF as twisted as that sounds. At least I could go down fighting for something other than waiting for another part of me to stop working as well as it did.

If you have someone in your life who is precious, do everything you can to keep that relationship healthy and ongoing. Loneliness is worse that death. Divorce is worse than fighting. She was my world for 30 years and she tossed me aside. We went through the death of our son together and I tried so hard to keep the family together, but I didn't have what it took. The other kids grew up and went away. Can't blame them. Their two parents were like zombies who later went after each other. When a family gets torn apart, where do people go?

Holy shit! I hope it gets better for you soon. I don't know anything about meds but if you just want someone to talk to IM me and I'll give my number.

Seriously
Link Posted: 2/18/2009 1:11:37 PM EST

My condolences on the loss of your son and your divorce. I have not experienced either, so I can only imagine how difficult it must be.

I can tell that you are feeling guilty about the end of your marriage, and probably the death of your son as well. I'm sure it's difficult to see right now, but you aren't responsible for your son's death, and a circumstance like that can shake the foundations of any relationship to the ground. These tragedies in your life don't make you a bad person. In fact, although I don't know you, I can tell from the things you've said that you're a good father/grandfather, a teacher who cares about your job, and a committed husband for the 30 years you were married.

You're not "too screwed up to have a relationship"––you're thinking of Britney Spears (hope that at least made you smile). Seriously, though, you're a man who has had enormous hardship in his life, and is experiencing grief, guilt, loneliness, and depression––all at the same time. That's an overwhelming situation for anyone to be in.

I'm sincerely glad to hear you're going to see a doctor. I agree with the opinion someone mentioned that a psychiatrist is much better suited to manage clinical depression medications than a plain MD. For what it's worth, the people I know with depression seem to be better in the day/morning than at night. It might be worthwhile to take a day off to go, rather than waiting for the end of the day, when you will feel more down.

I would also suggest some type of counseling. You mentioned that you actively attend church, and if you find comfort in your faith, then it might be worthwhile to speak with the clergy at your church. If you're not comfortable with that, a therapist/counselor/social worker can help you to sort out your thoughts and feelings in a non-judgmental setting.

Last, as some have mentioned, there are some things you can do that will help you to feel better. Exercise is one possibility that would make you feel physically and mentally better. It also sounds like involvement in some social activities would be beneficial. You might consider getting involved with a group at your church, or possibly something work/professional related. I don't know if you've ever played a sport––golf, bowling, whatever––but just something to do around people would probably help you to feel better. The internet and TV are fine, but you sound like someone who has had people around him for most of his life, and those activities aren't fulfilling for someone looking for personal and social relationships. As an introverted computer geek , I can tell you that the internet is an introvert's paradise, but it's not so great for a "people person."

Good luck with this. I really hope you'll post back and let us know how you are doing. Keep in mind that depressive cycles don't last forever––they come and go. You can and will feel better again, guaranteed.

Link Posted: 2/18/2009 1:19:58 PM EST
I got divorced after 28 years. Also got dumped for a new lifestyle.
There is something about menopause and mental illness that seem to go hand in hand.
Combine that with infidelity and I had to pull the pin on the marriage.
That was 5 years ago.
I've gone thru alot of women, but I still miss the relationship and the wife that is long gone.
What I've learned is that there is some stuff you never get over-but you learn to live with it.

As for the dreams, they never stop. You just have to ignore those the best you can.
Good luck and take care.
Link Posted: 2/18/2009 2:04:59 PM EST

Your doc should never have allowed you to be out of his care if he is prescribing meds such as this. As long as you're taking meds, you need to be under supervision.

Many, MANY people have this problem. We all want what we cannot have - to include wanting to be doing something we're not currently doing. Living in the present is an extremely difficult task in modern society, but it is a necessity for a healthy lifestyle. Make a concerted effort to slow down, take a deep breath and enjoy the things around you.

150 guns?!? Sell (most of) 'em. Work on simplifying your life and reducing the amount of stuff you have that distracts you from the things that matter most: family, your students, etc. Use the money from the gun sales (or trades) to buy ammunition. Take your kids and grandkids shooting with that ammunition.

The loneliness is such a killer. I'm too screwed up for a meaningful relationship....hell, even crazy people know that.

Most women are just as crazy as you are... so, you have to find the right kind of crazy and then just enjoy each other's company.

No room in my apartment for a dog and I can't abide cats.

They make small dogs.

I have my students, and for a few minutes every hour I really enjoy teaching, but it really is just a job. No matter what you do for a living, it really just gets down to work.

My avatar is a picture of my landing on a carrier... and, often that job - arguably one of the coolest in the world - is just plain work... so, again... what you're feeling is not abnormal.

Cancel the internet and cancel the cable. I know, it's a radical step, but you need to focus on real people for a while. I'll say a prayer for you.
Matt
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 12:08:34 PM EST
If you read the update in the OP, you'll see that I'm getting my life back together.

I'm dating again, too. Very casual and not very often but it's a start. I'm even looking forward to tomorrow and whatever may happen.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 5:55:09 AM EST
I watched someone ween off effexor. The worst part was that she was prescribed Ultram in addition to effexor.....that is a BIG NO NO
Top Top