Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/28/2002 8:55:47 AM EDT
I had the rather frightening experience of going to an unregulated range yesterday in the Ocala National Forest, FL.  There was a rangemaster there for a few mintues, but he left.

Here are some of the actions that I witnessed:

1.  Someone shooting a rifle at an object on the ground at 50 yds.  After the puff where the bullet hit, it was obviously skipping over the berm at 100 yds.  Thankfully, the rangemaster removed him from the range.

2.  Someone turning his pistol sideways to look at after it jammed repeatedly, (Not keeping the barrel down range)  That one gave me the willies.

3.  When I was down range putting up targets, my buddy interrupted two people from handling their firearms, one with a closed bolt.  He was not please about having to appoint himself the impromptu rangemaster to prevent an accident.

4.  More barrel sweeps than I could count, including one of me when I was in line waiting to use the range.

-White Horse
Link Posted: 10/28/2002 9:12:15 AM EDT
[#1]
I used to shoot at an unregulated range.

MOST people there were pretty good, but it only takes one.

Generally, we'd 'appoint' a range officer, or take turns being range officer.

Every once in a while we'd have a problem, but most guys were pretty good about teaching newbies and being patient instead of angry.

Still, I was damned glad when the Fish and game guys assigned someone there.
Link Posted: 10/28/2002 9:32:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Darn. In reading your post I just remembered why I quit going to ranges and built my own. The only things I liked about the range I visited were the great benches and they had a roof. Hang in there!
MM419
Link Posted: 10/28/2002 9:33:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Regulated Range=NAZI`s

Unregulated range is the ONLY way to shoot IMO.
If you dont like it then you dont have to stay.
I have seen very few bad deals at these ranges.
Its up to you to educate and inform people who dont know any better. Why do you need a range NAZI to do it for you?

I try to avoid regulated ranges  at ALL COST.
Link Posted: 10/28/2002 9:37:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/28/2002 9:48:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Un-Regulated is the only way I like to shoot.

I had enough of rangemaster dickheads when I was in Uncle Sams employ....

We usually show up and scare off all but the most stout of heart with our noise. Several benches opened last Saturday when we showed up with our evil black rifles...

My AR muzzlebreak will practically comb the hair of the next shooter with its percussion. Anyway, RANGEMASTERS SUCK... nuf said
Link Posted: 10/28/2002 10:00:24 AM EDT
[#6]
More barrel sweeps than I could count, including one of me when I was in line waiting to use the range.
View Quote

I cannot express how much I hate when people do this.

Always, always criticize the clueless who think this is "not a big deal."

Link Posted: 10/28/2002 10:02:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Regulated Range=NAZI`s

Unregulated range is the ONLY way to shoot IMO.
If you dont like it then you dont have to stay.
I have seen very few bad deals at these ranges.
Its up to you to educate and inform people who dont know any better. Why do you need a range NAZI to do it for you?

I try to avoid regulated ranges  at ALL COST.
View Quote

Rip:

This is what I was expecting.  I was hoping to have a nice experience, since we had a supressed FA Sten and a FA CETME with us.  The guy I was with is a class III dealer.  Anyway, it was just a mess and not too much fun.  Maybe I will try another day during the week when it is less crowded.

The only good news is that my PSS has held it's zero...nailed two little targets at 100 yds. (about 1 inch. across)

-White Horse
Link Posted: 10/28/2002 10:12:54 AM EDT
[#8]
How can a range be unregulated if there is a rangemaster present?

Our club is "unregulated" and we have no such problems.  I think it has more to do with public vs. private accomodations than having some bs rangemaster riding everyone's butts all the time.  Most rangemasters have their heads up their asses, are safety NAZIS, and are on some kind of big power trip.  They always think they know more than you do about YOUR guns.  No thanks.

If you don't like shooting around other people, don't go to the range when it is busy.
Link Posted: 10/28/2002 11:09:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Hey Paul, You wouldn't be talking about Lytle Creek, would you?
That place was always an adventure.
I thought I heard they closed it down a couple of years ago.
Link Posted: 10/28/2002 11:17:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
How can a range be unregulated if there is a rangemaster present?

Our club is "unregulated" and we have no such problems.  I think it has more to do with public vs. private accomodations than having some bs rangemaster riding everyone's butts all the time.  Most rangemasters have their heads up their asses, are safety NAZIS, and are on some kind of big power trip.  They always think they know more than you do about YOUR guns.  No thanks.

If you don't like shooting around other people, don't go to the range when it is busy.
View Quote

Trickshot:

It was supposed to be unregulated.  The RO was a suprise to most there.  I don't mind going to a busy range, but in this case busy=dangerous.  And no, I probably won't be going back there unless it is during the week when it is nearly abandoned.

I guess my point is this:  Many gun owners are either ignorant, careless, or both.  For shame.  Of course, I will not be so lofty as to propose a solution.  

-White Horse
Link Posted: 10/28/2002 11:19:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/28/2002 11:42:06 AM EDT
[#12]
I enjoy unregulated ranges as well.

If I want to mess with my [b]unloaded[/b] rifle while somebody goes downrange to count holes in their target for 15 minutes what does that hurt? I'm not going to be boresighting it at their head or anything, but if I want to fiddle with the scope or adjust the sights, it seems like a perfect time to do it, instead of standing 10 feet behind my guns twiddling my thumbs.

The fact is, everytime you are at a range with someone else you are in danger of being shot, regulated or not. Your life is in their hands. If you can't handle that then only shoot at regulated ranges. If they are being completely stupid and dangerous then chew their ass. But me wiping down my [b]unloaded[/b] rifle with Breakfree or taking off the scope to put on a carryhandle is about as dangerous to you as me picking my nose.

Personally, I think you have a [b]much[/b] better chance getting killed driving to the range than getting shot by someone else. You've probably even got a better chance of shooting yourself than getting shot by someone else.

It's a dangerous job, but somebody's got to do it.
Link Posted: 10/28/2002 11:49:32 AM EDT
[#13]
White_horse,
That wouldn't have been the range in Lake City would it?

Bradd
Link Posted: 10/28/2002 11:59:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Bradd D:
White_horse,

Bradd
View Quote

How is the range in Lake City going to be in the Ocala National Forest?

I used to shoot at the Ocala range.  Well, correction, I shot there twice.  The second time two drunk rednecks pulled up in a tow truck, got out with an AK and blasted a mag downrange.  Then they got back in the truck and left.  After that I figured that was enough.

If you're anywhere near, the Lake City Range is very nice.  I went there hundreds of times while I was in college in Gainesville.
Link Posted: 10/28/2002 12:02:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Ponyboy:

Agreed on all points.  Apparently, they were shouldering the rifles.  Wipe away with the best of them, but please don't point a rifle downrange with the bolt closed!!!  Sheesh.  Anyone with me here, or that ok at an unregulated range?

Bradd:

This was in Ocala, not Lake City.  I have gone to the Lake City range...didn't have a problem there at all.

-White Horse.
Link Posted: 10/28/2002 12:07:26 PM EDT
[#16]
I do not go to "regulated" ranges anymore.  Abosutely had enough of that rangemaster BS.  I guess I'm lucky at my local unregulated ranges though, as I've never even seen anything I would consider unsafe handling, no gangbangers shooting at glass, etc.  But I've only been a few times when all the benches were taken up.  I like to time it away from the open of hunting seasons and go early in the day and I'm usually one of only 3 or 4 people there the while time...  Very pleasant, and everyone I've seen so far have been really nice, decent people.
Link Posted: 10/28/2002 12:15:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Ponyboy:

Agreed on all points.  Apparently, they were shouldering the rifles.  Wipe away with the best of them, but please don't point a rifle downrange with the bolt closed!!!  Sheesh.  Anyone with me here, or that ok at an unregulated range?
View Quote

No, it's different if the guys were shouldering their rifles down range. That is a lot different than handling a rifle with the bolt closed. It's the, "don't touch your guns at all because they might go off" crowd that irritates me. If some guy at the range was pointing their gun at me while I was setting up a target or something I'd damn sure say something to him.

If some of you guys saw me and my father in law out shooting though, you'd probably shit on yourself. We didn't have a good spotting scope one day so I sat about 10yds back and to the left of his target and yelled his hits back to him about 200yds away. It's true that bullets sound a lot different whizzing by you than they do whizzing away.
Link Posted: 10/28/2002 12:16:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
White_horse,

Bradd
View Quote

How is the range in Lake City going to be in the Ocala National Forest?

I used to shoot at the Ocala range.  Well, correction, I shot there twice.  The second time two drunk rednecks pulled up in a tow truck, got out with an AK and blasted a mag downrange.  Then they got back in the truck and left.  After that I figured that was enough.

If you're anywhere near, the Lake City Range is very nice.  I went there hundreds of times while I was in college in Gainesville.
View Quote

There's a smartass in every group isn't there?  Just to clue you in...I live in GA and I have been to Lake City once.  I don't have any idea what forest the Lake City range is in.  Lighten up, dude!

Bradd      
Link Posted: 10/28/2002 12:55:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Yeah, right, I'm the only smartass on AR15.com.

I'll lighten up when you learn to take a joke.
Link Posted: 10/28/2002 1:09:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Funny, I shoot in a National Forest unregulated range and I've never experienced any more bad things than at a regulated range.
Link Posted: 10/28/2002 1:12:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ponyboy:

View Quote

Jesus ponyboy, thats ballsy
No, it's different if the guys were shouldering their rifles down range. That is a lot different than handling a rifle with the bolt closed. It's the, "don't touch your guns at all because they might go off" crowd that irritates me. If some guy at the range was pointing their gun at me while I was setting up a target or something I'd damn sure say something to him.

If some of you guys saw me and my father in law out shooting though, you'd probably shit on yourself. We didn't have a good spotting scope one day so I sat about 10yds back and to the left of his target and yelled his hits back to him about 200yds away. It's true that bullets sound a lot different whizzing by you than they do whizzing away.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/28/2002 1:35:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Leave the jokes to the comedians...you're not very good.  You sound more like a grumpy old man with Anal Retentive Disorder.

Bradd
Link Posted: 10/28/2002 1:41:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Lytle Creek is host to monthly CMP matches among other competitions.  I think the place has been cleaned up a bit.

[url]www.turners.com/engage/events_lytle.php[/url]
Link Posted: 10/28/2002 2:10:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Lytle Creek is host to monthly CMP matches among other competitions.  I think the place has been cleaned up a bit.
View Quote

That's cool. I moved out of Ka, about 10 years ago. I quit going to Lytle Creek about 15 years ago. On the weekends, that place was scary.

I liked the road going to the shooting area, though. Thats where I learned that Corvettes were not made to fly.[:D]
Link Posted: 10/28/2002 3:06:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

That's cool. I moved out of Ka, about 10 years ago. I quit going to Lytle Creek about 15 years ago. On the weekends, that place was scary.

I liked the road going to the shooting area, though. Thats where I learned that Corvettes were not made to fly.[:D]
View Quote

Mansaneta Flats is dangerous as hell(when open). When they kicked all the bangers out of Lytle Creek they just drove a little further to Running Springs.
Link Posted: 10/28/2002 3:28:41 PM EDT
[#26]
In so cali, if I want to sight in something, I go to a regulated range.

there are no free recreational shooting areas in the local national forests temporarily permanant, due to way high fire danger and a few years ago 50k acres burned from a shooting started fire.

but for the best experience, I suggest BLM land...aka most of the desert is open to whatever.

i go with a group of friends, and camp for a few days, that makes shooting oh so much fun!

[img]http://000buck.d2g.com/webshooters/secret5/pan1200.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 10/28/2002 3:49:25 PM EDT
[#27]
[b]Originally Posted By White_horse

4.  More barrel sweeps than I could count, including one of me when I was in line waiting to use the range.[/b]

What exactly is this? Is it passing the muzzle in front of someone? I've never heard this term before.

I agree about messing with guns while someone's downrange. There's nothing quite as disheartening as looking over your shoulder while pasting up targets, and seeing someone fingering their gun. It's usually some guy that you don't know from Adam, is he safe, is the gun loaded? Do you want to find out the hard way? It's a courtesy thing as well as safe.

The last public range I went to, some dipshit discharged his pistol while people were setting up targets in the pit. He stood looking at his pistol with a bewildered look on his face like,"How did that happen?"

I think public vs. private is more of an issue than regulated/unregulated. Our club is private and unregulated, except for CMP/DCM matches. Someone screws up, they're gone for good. We have a very good safety record and I never feel uncomfortable. If someone is acting unsafely, they'll be reported. Everyone knows it and accepts it.

I've been at public ranges where anything goes. I've had people start shooting while I was changing targets. They said it was o.k. because their targets were 50 yards away from mine. I've carried loaded guns down range with me in case someone tried to steal my stuff at the bench. I've had my family get into the car while I provided cover for them with my rifle. People showing up, doors opening, and beer bottles clanking out onto the ground. It's an experience, that's for sure.

Sounds like Paul was at the same range that I was,  central Cal. in the Los Padres Natl. Forest. I learned very quickly, keep a gun loaded until you're pulling onto the road if you're leaving a public range.
Link Posted: 10/28/2002 3:53:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
If I want to mess with my [b]unloaded[/b] rifle while somebody goes downrange to count holes in their target for 15 minutes what does that hurt?
View Quote

Personally, I feel it's stupid and irresponsible to be handling firearms while someone is downrange.

If you are being safe then you ARE pointing it downrange, where the people are.

Why can't you wait until they get back?

I get it, you know the weapon is unloaded, and you are never wrong.

Link Posted: 10/28/2002 4:16:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Darwin.... Paging Mr. Charles Darwin....

Maybe I'm just spoiled, but we have several good regulated public ranges in the Phoenix area. No drunken rednecks on our ranges, and the gang bangers stick to the open desert. The most dangerous thing you'll find on a public range here is a Boy Scout troop out earning their marksmanship merit badge. No lie... a few years ago there was a big flap over a lapse of safety when one Scout shot another with an "unloaded" .22 rifle.

[rolleyes]
Link Posted: 10/28/2002 4:48:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
If I want to mess with my [b]unloaded[/b] rifle while somebody goes downrange to count holes in their target for 15 minutes what does that hurt?
View Quote

Personally, I feel it's stupid and irresponsible to be handling firearms while someone is downrange.
View Quote

Then I guess I won't be seeing you at an unrestricted range that I'm shooting at. Darn! [>Q]

If you are being safe then you ARE pointing it downrange, where the people are.

Why can't you wait until they get back?
View Quote

Yeah, I probably could. I could also go to a range where I don't have to wait.

I get it, you know the weapon is unloaded, and you are never wrong.

View Quote

Alrighty then, thanks for your opinion. Have a nice night!

Link Posted: 10/28/2002 6:29:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/28/2002 6:35:26 PM EDT
[#32]
That why I go to the range very very (read 0600) early on the weekends.  Most of the f-ups at still drunk, hung over, or still sleeping.
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 4:52:13 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I guess I am part of the anal retentive crowd. I usually don't know the other shooters who use the unregulated range I use so I really [b]hate[/b] it when I see one of them dicking around with a firearm while I am down range. I have no way of knowing if this guy is a seasoned shooter or a greenhorn. I should not have to worry that some guy could kill me while he is handling a weapon with people downrange. That is just plain thoughtless as well as discourteous. Just my two cents.
View Quote

I'm not blaming anyone for wanting to be safe. I just think that the odds of getting shot at the range are extremely small, regardless of the range rules. I've heard of several people shooting themselves, but I don't think I've heard of one instance where someone was accidentally shot by someone else. I'm sure it's happened it's just very rare.

Link Posted: 10/29/2002 5:30:40 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

Leave the jokes to the comedians...you're not very good.  You sound more like a grumpy old man with Anal Retentive Disorder.

Bradd
View Quote

I have never met anyone from Georgia as high strung as you.  You must either be a transplant, or a wound up little kid.
I'm sorry you don't find me as funny as Jerry Clower...oh, wait, given the above you probably don't know who he was.
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 7:24:59 AM EDT
[#35]
Not sure what a redneck is, but if it is good that's what I am.
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 7:55:35 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
If I want to mess with my unloaded rifle while somebody goes downrange to count holes in their target for 15 minutes what does that hurt?
View Quote

I dunno, [b]does death hurt?[/b]

You have never had someone AD/ND in your direction, have you?

I have.  It is a memorable experience.  It will change your perspective completely.

I am very blessed to be a member of one of the nicest ranges on the East coast, Durham Rifle and Pistol Club.  The club has a firm rule about no handling of arms while anyone is forward of the line.  [b]Any handling of a firearm while someone is forward of the line, or when the range is called "safe", is grounds for expulsion.[/b]

And [b]Ponyboy,[/b] from now on, your moniker will be associated in my mind with the oh-crap stupid look on the face of the guy who was fiddling with his "unloaded" 1911, just after it went off and planted a slug at my feet.
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 10:14:03 AM EDT
[#37]
My 22 year old son and I went to an unregulated range in a national forest here in SC to shoot a CAR 16 and SAR-1. It was a nice range with covered shooting benches. There were only three other people on the range that day; a bolt gunner zeroing the scope on his 30-06 and his two YOUNG CHILDREN, two boys about 8 or nine years old. The kids scared the hell out of me because they each had there own .22 lever action rifles. They were pointing their guns every which way, and had a couple of unintended discharges (shot into the ground just in front of the benches as they tinkered with their "toys").

My son and I blasted through our stack of magazines and left. Any suggestions for range ettiquette other than returning fire?

Other than that, we had a blast! The J&T 16-incher is fun to shoot, and the Romanian AK is more accurate than I would have given it credit for.

Panzer out

Link Posted: 10/29/2002 11:49:57 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
In so cali, if I want to sight in something, I go to a regulated range.

there are no free recreational shooting areas in the local national forests temporarily permanant, due to way high fire danger and a few years ago 50k acres burned from a shooting started fire.

but for the best experience, I suggest BLM land...aka most of the desert is open to whatever.

i go with a group of friends, and camp for a few days, that makes shooting oh so much fun!

[url]http://000buck.d2g.com/webshooters/secret5/pan1200.jpg[/url]
View Quote

Drool...Secret...

too bad i can never make those things [:(]
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 2:37:53 PM EDT
[#39]
I prefer it described as a 'FUSTER CLUCK'
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 2:50:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Darwin.... Paging Mr. Charles Darwin....

Maybe I'm just spoiled, but we have several good regulated public ranges in the Phoenix area. No drunken rednecks on our ranges, and the gang bangers stick to the open desert. The most dangerous thing you'll find on a public range here is a Boy Scout troop out earning their marksmanship merit badge. No lie... a few years ago there was a big flap over a lapse of safety when one Scout shot another with an "unloaded" .22 rifle.

[rolleyes]
View Quote
damn MP5_guy you beat me to it. id refer to actions like this as natural selection. and i thought it was a universal rule not to touch ANY gun while someone is forward of the firing line. i sure wouldnt like to be down range and having some yahoo fondle his rifle while the muzzle is pointed in my general direction. The reason being is i dont know if your just wiping it down, or placing a magazine in and placing the selector on fire. Supposed "unloaded" guns kill many many people every year. id also suggest buying a cheap spotting scope rather than sitting downrange and watching the holes!!! LMAO!! a true contender for a Darwin Award. whats next? placing an apple on your head? Range safety is one subject to be taken seriously.
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 3:07:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Bradd
View Quote

I have never met anyone from Georgia as high strung as you.  You must either be a transplant, or a wound up little kid.
I'm sorry you don't find me as funny as Jerry Clower...oh, wait, given the above you probably don't know who he was.
View Quote

Now you really are showing your age.  I guess I'm used to jokes relying on a punchline not on someone's else's lack of knowledge to be funny.  Belittling others is usually a sign of an inferiority complex.  Are you feeling inferior grandpa?

Bradd  
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 3:28:02 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Originally Posted By White_horse

4.  More barrel sweeps than I could count, including one of me when I was in line waiting to use the range.
View Quote

What exactly is this? Is it passing the muzzle in front of someone? I've never heard this term before.
View Quote

You got it.

I think public vs. private is more of an issue than regulated/unregulated.
View Quote

Definitely. Its the Tragedy of the Commons. If nobody owns it then people have no interest in maintaining it.

I go to a private range w/ no RO. We haven't had any problems, because all of us pay to use it, and we don't want to see it go to hell.
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 3:33:32 PM EDT
[#43]
"If some of you guys saw me and my father in law out shooting though, you'd probably shit on yourself. We didn't have a good spotting scope one day so I sat about 10yds back and to the left of his target and yelled his hits back to him about 200yds away. It's true that bullets sound a lot different whizzing by you than they do whizzing away."

no...i would not shit myself.

however, i would do my damndest to get on "jackass".
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 3:40:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Bradd D-
 Where do you shoot? I'm a fellow Georgian, looking for a place to go. Living away from the family farm leaves a lot to be desired.

-Hobbit
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 3:49:49 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
"If some of you guys saw me and my father in law out shooting though, you'd probably shit on yourself. We didn't have a good spotting scope one day so I sat about 10yds back and to the left of his target and yelled his hits back to him about 200yds away. It's true that bullets sound a lot different whizzing by you than they do whizzing away."

no...i would not shit myself.

however, i would do my damndest to get on "jackass".
View Quote

Whenever I hold a target over my head for someone to shoot at, the bullets don't whiz by.  They make a snapping noise.  If you're good and if the wind is right, you can catch the piece of paper perforated by the bullet in your mouth.  HTH

Link Posted: 10/29/2002 3:56:48 PM EDT
[#46]
If I ever get killed at the range everyone at ar15.com has my permission and encouragement to laugh their ass off.

When I make the news you can tell all of your friends, "Hey, I knew that dumbass from ar15.com!"

And Campy, it doesn't sound like you've watched enough episodes of Jackass. My stunt wouldn't get me on there unless someone was pouring crap or urine on me while I was spotting. Maybe if I were puking I would have a shot.

[;)]
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 4:07:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
If I want to mess with my unloaded rifle while somebody goes downrange to count holes in their target for 15 minutes what does that hurt?
View Quote

I dunno, [b]does death hurt?[/b]
View Quote

That question has been asked for thousands of years, and to my knowledge, nobody's been able to live through it to give us an answer. [:)]

You have never had someone AD/ND in your direction, have you?

I have.  It is a memorable experience.  It will change your perspective completely.
View Quote

Actually I have, and I've still got a piece of metal in my right eye from either a bullet or a quarter to prove it. No permanent damage, just a souvineir.

I am very blessed to be a member of one of the nicest ranges on the East coast, Durham Rifle and Pistol Club.  The club has a firm rule about no handling of arms while anyone is forward of the line.  [b]Any handling of a firearm while someone is forward of the line, or when the range is called "safe", is grounds for expulsion.[/b]
View Quote

And that's great! You're much safer than going to a range where people are messing with their guns while you or anyone else is down range. There's no denying that fact. I just don't feel the need for that extra security. I'm not putting down anyone else who rather shoot at a range like that, I'd just prefer not to. However, if I find myself at a range like that I obey the rules like a good boy. I'm carefree, not a troublemaker (unless you're asking for it [:)])

And [b]Ponyboy,[/b] from now on, your moniker will be associated in my mind with the oh-crap stupid look on the face of the guy who was fiddling with his "unloaded" 1911, just after it went off and planted a slug at my feet.
View Quote

As long as you thinking of that guy's face brings a smile to yours, I don't care.
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 4:21:30 PM EDT
[#48]
Hobbit,
Some of the locals are getting together this month.  It would be great if you could make it.  Here's a link...

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=8&t=149695&w=myTopicPop[/url]

Bradd
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 5:12:49 PM EDT
[#49]
As far as I'm concerned, the BEST place to shoot is at a regulated range if you (and your shooting party) are the only ones there and the rangemaster knows that you know what the hell you're doing and just sits back and watches the fun.     I say this because the better regulated ranges are MUCH better equipped than any unregulated ranges and it's nice to have access to the facilities.

There is a lot to be said for your own backyard range if you have the room for it, too.   Especially since you probably won't have much of a problem with trespassers and drunk locals on your own private property.

I have determined that I absolutely DESPISE covered ranges, depending on the roof design.  A tent profile roof reflects so much sound back at you that it's incredible.    Shooting my mini Y comp-equipped AR under the roof is an appalling experience when you compare it to shooting in the open, where it sounds almost like a .22 in comparison.

My father (who's 70 plus) went to the local covered range, wearing both in-ear foam plugs AND 30 dB hearing protectors over his hears, which means he had more than 40 dB of protection, and at the end of the day he had PERMANENT hearing damage that led to him having to be fitted for two hearing aids.   It's a good range but the design of the cover caused preventable hearing damage and if he decides to sue, I really can't blame him though I'd hate to see a range get sued out of business.

I am unwilling to return to that good range facility myself now, as a result of his hearing damage.  I don't want to get that myself.  I use custom fitted plugs and when I'm there, I wear 30 dB protection over them.  I'm stone deaf with that stuff on,  but I can still hear when I leave.

CJ

Link Posted: 10/29/2002 5:20:28 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I eat fudge clusters while  at my local unregulated range...
View Quote

some 80yr old looking guy was out there a while back and nearly shot my mom sitting in her car about 2 car rows deep!  the guy was trying to load his .22 and he kept screwing it up. as for berms....our  range needs higher ones too.  i have seen many go over the berms.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top