Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2009 9:28:47 PM EST
Im in beautiful Hungary until the middle of July...and my Tmobile phone doesnt work because its locked.

I can get some phones here but was wondering what others did when they wanted to get people to call you without being raped on the bill.

they have some cheap phones here but I was thinking since they are unlocked....I might as well get a good one
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:39:42 PM EST
Just throwing this out there but i've used Skype in Europe just fine. Set up a Skype In number with what ever area code you want and anybody can call you, leave a voicemail,etc. Sometimes it's nice not to be strapped to a cell phone. I would send a text message online to whoever i wanted to call me and we would talk. When i wasn't at my computer, they would leave a message and i would fire up Skype to call them back.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:43:31 PM EST
so I can set up skype to have it call my current cellphone?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:45:57 PM EST
I think roaming charges have been lowered now, after the EU (only decent thing they've ever done) broke the price-fixing. So if you can unlock your phone it might not be ultra expensive.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:47:41 PM EST
Call T-Mobile, they will sometimes give u the unlock code if you've been with them for a while. Threaten to go to ATT if they don't. You can also buy unlocked phones for less than $50. Might be a better idea since your T-Mobile phone may not have all the bands used over there.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:48:12 PM EST
Originally Posted By Metallurgist:
I think roaming charges have been lowered now, after the EU (only decent thing they've ever done) broke the price-fixing. So if you can unlock your phone it might not be ultra expensive.

From the US? Think again
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:48:40 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/16/2009 9:49:12 PM EST by pepsi]
Buy a cheap unlocked phone and look into buying a pre-paid SIM card. That way you don't have to worry about billing and overages. Getting your T-Mo phone unlocked may work, as long as it supports the bands over there.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:56:17 PM EST

Originally Posted By PRDUBI:
so I can set up skype to have it call my current cellphone?

Sure but why? You would still get dinged with roaming charges if you picked up your phone. The call would be originating from the US so roaming plus long distance.
Seriously, Skype In works very well and you can even setup Skype Out(allows you to make outgoing calls) if you really wanted to call someone back. The idea of having a phone that rings in europe when someone calls from the US is cool but not when that bill arrives along with the bill for the hotel,knick knacks and general jackassery. You could also see if any of your turkish friends know of a place that does unlocking services for phones. They're on almost every corner in the UK. Once unlocked, you could get a prepaid sim from a local phone carrier but then you would have local number there. I could only imagine your friends delight in calling Turkey from their cell/home phone. Read up on Skype. I also didn't mention Skype In/Out is not free but it'll be a lot cheaper than T-Mobile.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:56:19 PM EST

Im in beautiful Hungary until the middle of July...and my Tmobile phone doesnt work because its locked.

I can get some phones here but was wondering what others did when they wanted to get people to call you without being raped on the bill.

they have some cheap phones here but I was thinking since they are unlocked....I might as well get a good one

Not that good of an idea, unless you know it is US-compatible...

US GSM is on a different frequency than Euro ones...

IIRC, the EU phones are on 800/900mhz, the US ones are on 1800/1900mhz
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:07:52 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/16/2009 10:12:38 PM EST by Gamma762]
Originally Posted By Dave_A:

Not quite.

US/North and South America is 800(aka 850, same thing) and 1900.
Europe and Asia uses 900 and 1800.
T Mobile in the US only uses 1900 although some roaming coverage uses 800. If you remove the back/battery from your phone and look at the label the available bands are usually listed on there somewhere, so that would give you an idea of whether it would be worthwhile to pursue getting the unlock code from T-mobile.

Best bet for international travel is an unlocked quad band phone. Preferably with WiFi capability and a Skype client for free calls from hotspots.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:11:38 PM EST
Originally Posted By Dave_A:

Not that good of an idea, unless you know it is US-compatible...

US GSM is on a different frequency than Euro ones...

nope, EU is 900/1800, US is 850/1900. There are some exceptions though but that's the rule of thumb.
Top Top