Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/14/2001 9:27:38 AM EDT
This is response to GoatBoy's article on the birth place of the AR-15. The article said that the birth place was unknown but in fact it is. If one was to acquire a book titled "THE BLACK RIFLE" one would read in the first or second chapter in the book that a rifle called the "Gustafson 22" was developed at Aberdeen Proving Grounds Small Arms and Ordnance Test and Evaluation branch by two men; Gerald A. Gustafson - project engineer and a machinist who's name I cannot remember. Both men working together developed the .223 round and the 1 in 9" twist barrel that was the single shot "Gustafson 22" which is on display at the Springfield Armory Museum. After this rifle was developed and tested; Armalite and Springfield Armory was asked to submit designs of a rifle using the .223 round and the 1 in 9" twist barrel. So with all this known, it seems to me that the birth place of the AR-15 is Aberdeen Proving Grounds in Aberdeen,MD.
Link Posted: 7/14/2001 11:49:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Only I know where I 'birfed 'dis gat...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top