Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/4/2006 8:12:22 PM EDT
today.reuters.com/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=filmNews&storyID=2006-04-05T015134Z_01_N04175568_RTRIDST_0_FILM-UNITED93-DC.XML

Universal stands by "United 93" movie trailer

Tue Apr 4, 2006 9:50 PM ET
By Bob Tourtellotte

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Universal Pictures is standing by the promotional trailer for its upcoming 9/11 movie "United 93" despite audience complaints that caused one New York City theater to pull the advertisement off its screens.

Universal marketing president Adam Fogelson told Reuters on Tuesday that his team and the film's makers, including director Paul Greengrass, worked closely with the families of victims of the doomed United Airlines flight to ensure the movie and its marketing was sensitive to their concerns.

"We have received numerous e-mails (from family members) saying they appreciated the tone and sensitivity and honesty of the piece that is being presented," Fogelson said.

He added that the movie studio has no plans to change the trailer or make a new one as a substitute.

"United 93" depicts events on the hijacked flight that crashed in the Pennsylvania countryside on September 11 after other airliners hit the Pentagon and the World Trade Center towers in New York.

The trailer shows news footage of the burning towers while a passenger on board Flight 93 reveals a bomb strapped around his middle, and other passengers vow to fight back. The movie will begin playing at theaters around the U.S. on April 28.

The trailer caused complaints at the AMC Loews Lincoln Square in New York, so the theater decided to pull it. The trailer also is being shown in thousands of U.S. venues, and no other cinema owner has yanked it, according to Universal.

Trailers and other movie advertisements often get pulled by theater owners after audiences complain. Feingold noted, for instance, that last year's hit comedy "The 40-Year-Old Virgin" raised a ruckus in some localities and caused a few theaters to remove its poster from movie house lobbies.

Universal Pictures is a unit of the NBC Universal division of General Electric Co.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:38:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Another fine piece of journalism by Reuters.  What is the controversy and why are the people complaining?  I guess they don't teach the 5 W's in Journalism 101 anymore.

P.S.  How does one theater pulling the trailer constitute national or international news?

ETA:  I looked on Google news, and apparently some people are distressed upon seeing the trailer, feeling that it is too soon, too graphic and realistic or exploitative.  It causes them emotional shock.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:41:43 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Another fine piece of journalism by Reuters.  What is the controversy and why are the people complaining?  I guess they don't teach the 5 W's in Journalism 101 anymore.

P.S.  How does one theater pulling the trailer constitute national or international news?

Did you hear about the Theater house hear in Utah that pulled Brokeback Mountain?  thatwas national news, i am pretty sure.  People like a contraversy.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:41:58 PM EDT
[#3]
United 93 Movie Opposition Is Pure Politics  
April 4, 2006
www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_040406/content/rush_on_a_roll.guest.html
BEGIN TRANSCRIPT

The drumbeat continues from certain sectors of this country to make sure that the preview, the trailer for United 93, the new movie that opens on April 28th about the fourth hijacked airplane that did not hit its target, doesn't get shown. People are saying, "It's too soon. It's too soon, it offends me! It offends some people. It's too soon!" These are the same people that can't get enough of the Abu Ghraib photos, same people that can't get enough of the supposed torture and terror that was being committed at Club Gitmo.

For all of you people out there who are offended by the trailer or the whole concept of the movie, United 93, I and many members of my immediate circle were offended by the airing of the Abu Ghraib pictures. I thought it was a little too soon to air those pictures. I thought it was offensive to some people. It harmed our effort to win the war, and that's why you loved it, bunch of leftist sludge. I was offended, deeply offended by those pictures. I thought it was a little too soon. I demanded the media stop showing them. But of course nobody listened. But now we've pressured some movie theater operators into not playing the trailer for this movie. Wail 'till the movie hits. It's only going to make the movie bigger and bigger and bigger.

And I'll tell you what I have done. I hardly ever do this. I so seldom do it -- well, I just don't. But I have asked for and I have been given a private screening of this movie. I'm going to see it next week, because when I see the left get in gear-- they're going to be scared to death this movie be shown because the Democratic Party has spent four years here trying to convince people that we really do live in a pre-9/11 world. This was just an abstract thing that happened once, and Bush is only making it worse. We really were lied to. The last thing they want is for people to be reminded why we're in Iraq, why we're fighting the war on terror, who our enemy is. They have tried to sabotage our effort to defeat this enemy, the Al-Qaeda Bill of Rights and so forth. So I have asked for and I have been granted a request, my request, to see a private screening of United 93 next week.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:44:46 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
<snip>

Did you hear about the Theater house hear in Utah that pulled Brokeback Mountain?  thatwas national news, i am pretty sure.  People like a contraversy.

No, I didn't hear about that.  You are correct, though, that people like a controversy.  22bad posted an interesting take on it as well.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:47:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Screw New York.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:56:01 PM EDT
[#6]
here is the trailer.

www.apple.com/trailers/universal/united93/medium.html
it is in quicktime format
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:02:40 PM EDT
[#7]

That will be a hard movie for me to watch.  The trailer alone got me a little worked up.

Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:17:51 PM EDT
[#8]
As long as this film is historically accurate, I'm all for it.

I am very tired of the self imposed media censorship of this event.

The people have become complacent, maybe Hollywood will wake them up.

What a shame it is, if this truly is the case.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 10:13:17 PM EDT
[#9]
I'd rather see a movie about an important event in recent history than see a contrived work of fiction about queer cowboys.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 10:31:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Show it!!!! Let the people remember. Fuck em if they want us to forget. NEVER Forget.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 10:41:45 PM EDT
[#11]
I think any and all info of the 9-11-01 WTC/Pentagon attack should be made public.  The relatives of the survivors want to forget, but my feeling is that the world should not forget about the people who died during the attack, and remind the sheeple that the RoP has declared war on the USofA.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:36:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Ok you Don't what to see a flight 93 movie.
Why?
It pisses you off too much?
Well hello to the new world.
There are people out ther that wish to bring us down.
Partiotism to much for you?
I hpoe that we even find the towel boys at the gum for these bastards.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:54:40 PM EDT
[#13]
I heard Rush talking about it today and watched it a few minutes ago.

All I can say is this,

If it really pisses off the Demotards, it has to be a really good movie

I'm going to see it
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:57:57 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I'd rather see a movie about an important event in recent history than see a contrived work of fiction about queer cowboys.

Fuck Yeah!
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 12:13:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Did anyone else wince when they saw that second plane hit? I teared up during the second half of the trailer.
Jeff
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 12:17:13 AM EDT
[#16]
DUPE MUTHA FUCKA DUPE
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 12:21:34 AM EDT
[#17]
I will see this movie.  Opening day if I can.  I haven't been to a movie theater in about year.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 12:37:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Lest we never forget!

"Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it."

Should be mandatory viewing for Grades 3-13.  
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 12:43:05 AM EDT
[#19]
I'm arguing with a couple dumbshits on another site about this.  They insist it was shot down and claim the cell phones wouldn't work in the plane.  I can't find anything that isn't conspiracy bullshit to point them in the direction of the phone issue.  I honestly think most of it was AirFone TX, but I don't have anything to show.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 12:48:51 AM EDT
[#20]
I'll echo the sentiments of someone I look up to:

NEVER FORGET THOSE THAT DIED

NEVER FORGET THOSE THAT KILLED THEM.

The only thing worse than remembering is forgetting.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 2:26:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Even after all the ass kicking that has taken place in Afghanistan and Iraq, I still feel the need for blood.

I don't think I will feel better until all of AQ and OBL are at room temp.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:30:09 AM EDT
[#22]
Personally, I believe that before every movie there should be a 5 minute montage of Sep 11, 2001 shown.  A montage that shows both aircraft hitting the towers, the reactions on the streets below, the response by the NYPD and NYFD, the 911 calls, footage of survivors coming out and people jumping to their deaths, the collapse and aftermath, the scene in Pennsylvania of the crashed FLT 93 with the recording of Beamer's "Let's Roll"; Osama's follow-on demand for our submission to Islam; certain followers of the ROP dancing in the streets (here and abroad) and ending with the Flag in the wreckage of the Trade Center and the words "Never Forget" while the names of all American innocents slaughtered by jihadists roll past.

Forgetting offends me.  Working for the defeat of the US offends me.  Etcetera, etcetera, etcetera.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:32:22 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I'm arguing with a couple dumbshits on another site about this.  They insist it was shot down and claim the cell phones wouldn't work in the plane.  I can't find anything that isn't conspiracy bullshit to point them in the direction of the phone issue.  I honestly think most of it was AirFone TX, but I don't have anything to show.

Cell phones work in planes.  And Mythbusters busted the myth that they screw up the navigation.

Real reason they aren't allowed is that the signal jumps from tower to tower so fast (1) you can't be assed roaming charges and (2) you can't be traced.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:35:46 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:41:34 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Personally, I believe that before every movie there should be a 5 minute montage of Sep 11, 2001 shown.  A montage that shows both aircraft hitting the towers, the reactions on the streets below, the response by the NYPD and NYFD, the 911 calls, footage of survivors coming out and people jumping to their deaths, the collapse and aftermath, the scene in Pennsylvania of the crashed FLT 93 with the recording of Beamer's "Let's Roll"; Osama's follow-on demand for our submission to Islam; certain followers of the ROP dancing in the streets (here and abroad) and ending with the Flag in the wreckage of the Trade Center and the words "Never Forget" while the names of all American innocents slaughtered by jihadists roll past.

Forgetting offends me.  Working for the defeat of the US offends me.  Etcetera, etcetera, etcetera.

I concur 100%. Many in this country have already forgotten, and they don't want to be reminded.

People don't want to admit who and what the real enemy is. Oh, and someone will be along shortly to admonish you about the RoPers dancing in the streets, saying that it might have been a few hotheads in Palestine....BS, I saw them in the footage. There were RoPers in NYC, there were some in Buffalo (Lackawanna), I am sure there were some in Dearborn, there were plenty celebrating it. Don't let the apologists tell you otherwise....
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:50:13 AM EDT
[#26]
Wow....just...wow.

Having watched lots and lots of movies and played lots and lots of violent video games, I've become pretty well desensitized to what I see on a computer monitor. I figured I'd watch the trailer and that'd be that.

I honestly didn't think it'd hit me that hard, and that quick.

I hadn't forgotten what they'd done. Far from it. But I had forgotten what it was like before...what they took from us...

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:53:22 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
That will be a hard movie for me to watch.  The trailer alone got me a little worked up.

I'm more than teary right now. I saw a news report on this yesterday on GMA and it was noted that:
1. All the families of the heroes of Flight 93 gave their consent. They WANT the story told.
2. For the first 3 days, ALL BOX OFFICE PROCEEDS....ALL...are going to the family fund for the survivors of Flight 93's Heroes.

ETA: Link to GMA Story Click here you gotta sit thru a commercial first then the story comes on

I honestly do NOT know if I can sit in a public theatre and watch this movie. I saw the televised version a few months back (Discovery channell???) and waited until the later showing so I could watch it without my children seeing me upset. I will watch this film. I just think I may have to wait until I can do so in the privacy of my own home.

God rest their souls.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:01:43 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

It better be well done. I'm sick of the crap Hollywood has put out in recent times.

This looks decent, hopefully it WILL be decent.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:24:30 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It better be well done. I'm sick of the crap Hollywood has put out in recent times.

I think they would be ill advised to do any dishonor to the memories of the people on that plane.  It will be very hard for me to watch.  Knowing those people were talking to thier families and making peace with the fact that they were not likely to live.  I simply can not imagine that.  

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 3:48:41 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Cell phones work in planes.  And Mythbusters busted the myth that they screw up the navigation.

Real reason they aren't allowed is that the signal jumps from tower to tower so fast (1) you can't be assed roaming charges and (2) you can't be traced.

Wow, so did they make any calls from high altitudes?  Seems some people say they work, but mostly it's an impossible task above 8000 feet.  I'd love to find some concrete data or proof.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:10:38 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Show it!!!! Let the people remember. Fuck em if they want us to forget. NEVER Forget.

no shit! it's about time america got a reminder of how all the ruckus nowadays got started!

george bush ain't the fucking enemy!
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:22:25 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow, so did they make any calls from high altitudes?  Seems some people say they work, but mostly it's an impossible task above 8000 feet.  I'd love to find some concrete data or proof.

"some people" includes the FCC.  

FCC rules currently ban cell phone use after a plane has taken off because of potential interference to cellular phone networks on the ground.

Of course , the FCC are minions of the NWO, ZOG, Trilateralist, Bildenburger, CFR, etc. secret evil conspiracy.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:56:09 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think they would be ill advised to do any dishonor to the memories of the people on that plane.  It will be very hard for me to watch.  Knowing those people were talking to thier families and making peace with the fact that they were not likely to live.  I simply can not imagine that.  

I can only hope so. I think that if they screw around with this the slightest bit, they will get a backlash like nothing anyone has ever seen before. But then again, I also know that there's no depth too low for some Liberals to sink to.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top