Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2004 3:25:05 PM EDT
My employer is doing the heavy handed United Way routine again this year. I often hear bad things about the program, but what is really wrong with the co.?

I know about the CEO a while back whole stole a bunch, and that .86 of every dollar goes towards the chose charity, what else sucks about them?

Links?
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 3:30:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Around here, they refuse to give any money to the BSA because we discriminate against those who will not hold themselves to our Oath...

you know "morally straight"
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 3:32:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 3:43:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I volunteered for the local UW fund distribution panel.

I cannot describe the bull shit that your money will go to, total wastes of money designed to fund black church revs and liberal left winger 'social workers' who never got a real job and who are too lazy or stupid to get hired by the government.

The other great truth is how much of the money goes for local and national UW expenses. All I need to say is that the 'percent distributed' number they show you is total BS, the UW also 'handles the accounts' for the local charities, and rakes another 20-30% off each account.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 3:57:36 PM EDT
[#4]
When they pulled that shit on the BSA, I told them to pack sand, IN PERSON.

They tried to tell me that it was just a local chapter, and I told them too bad. My employer went ballistic, and I basically dared them to fire me over it (my reviews were really good, so they would have been BEGGING for a lawsuit).

Assholes. Not ONE DIME of mine!
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 4:13:02 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
My employer is doing the heavy handed United Way routine again this year. I often hear bad things about the program, but what is really wrong with the co.?

I know about the CEO a while back whole stole a bunch, and that .86 of every dollar goes towards the chose charity, what else sucks about them?

Links?

Sorry to hear that, my company does that as well.  Rumor has it at where we work, there is a secret list of who doesn't.  Could hurt you in the raise and promoting department if you make that list.  But I get back at them.   I donate $1.00 a paycheck (get paid bimonthly) and they match what I give.  I found out that it cost my company $1.00 per transaction.  Since I don't do lump sum they are forced to pay that transaction fee every paycheck deduction, plus match what I give.  So for $24 dollars a year, I avoid being on some stupid list, cost my company in matching funds and transaction fee a total of $48 dollars.

I hate it when your employer makes you do this, even when they don't come out and tell you.  I give to where I want to give.  Shit I've given more money away in bronze membership giveaways here than I give to the United Way.

United Way is a scam in my book.  YMMV
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 4:18:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 4:24:17 PM EDT
[#7]
My business sits dircetly across from an organization that gets most of its money from UW.

The waste is amazing. They have plusher and fancier officer furniture than most corporate boardrooms or fine restraunts, the head must pay himself and his wife a huge salary because they buy new vehicles every 12-18 months. I would say maybe 20% of the money he gets goes to doing what they say they exist for, the rest for salary and plush furniture that helps nobody.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 4:55:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Used to be you could designate a particular agency you wished your donation to go to, say for instance the USO. No idea if this is still possible.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 5:11:34 PM EDT
[#9]
hate to play the race card, but you if are of a similiar color to the "posting reply" text box forget getting assistance.  One of my wifes coworkers lost everything she owns in a house fire( month before her husband died)  They just finished their big forced fundraiser at work, well this employee called to get assistance, they basically said if you are pale in color forget getting help.  

This is not mentioning the fact they are rabid gun grabbers
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 5:34:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 5:45:24 PM EDT
[#11]
My employer does the same thing, I tell them I am an Eagle Scout and a former Assistant Scoutmaster so I don't even want to hear the speal.  I also tell them that I don't support abortion and since UW give money to Planned Parenthood, it is against my religion to even consider it.  It is often really effective to tell those in the company who are jumping through hoops to do the UW thing that they are supporting abortions.  Depending on the person, it can sometimes change a mind.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 6:07:59 PM EDT
[#12]
My wife works for a company that gets funding from UW.....they get the money a year later and missing more than half.  
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 6:13:52 PM EDT
[#13]
It seems that every few years some old UW fart gets cought stealing money so he can bang some young chick.  Bang all the young chicks you want, but not with my money.  I need it so I can try to do the same thing.  
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 6:24:27 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Used to be you could designate a particular agency you wished your donation to go to, say for instance the USO. No idea if this is still possible.

The CFC (Combined Federal Campaign) works like that. We just had the yearly drive at the base. I donated to 3 Veterans groups. It is kinda nice as you get to pick what agency gets your donation and they list the fundraising and administrative expenses as a percentage. For example the DAV lists its fundraising and administrative expenses as 4.0%.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 6:31:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 6:32:25 PM EDT
[#16]
werent they trying to get fags into the boy scouts?
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 6:37:08 PM EDT
[#17]
FUCKING CROOKS!!!!

THEY WILL LINE THEIR POCKETS WITH YOUR MONEY!!

TOLD MY EMPLOYER THAT i'D RATHER GIVR IT TO THE FRENCH!!

AND TOLD THEM TO GO & POUND SALT!!

Link Posted: 10/6/2004 8:34:28 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
... The CFC (Combined Federal Campaign) works like that. We just had the yearly drive at the base. I donated to 3 Veterans groups. It is kinda nice as you get to pick what agency gets your donation ...

Don’t know if it’s still true since I haven’t given to CFC in years, but at one time IIRC they set ceilings on how much a specific charity could receive, after which any excess funds donated to that charity would be given to someone else.

And there are some incredibly vile “charities” on their list.  
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 2:44:43 PM EDT
[#19]
United Way giving, with every company that I know that does it, the employees says there is a lot of coercion, and an implication that if you do not give to United Way it will adversely affect your job.  This appears to be United Way's modus operandi.

Also, about 90%+ of what they collect goes to salaries and other expenses for the top echelon.  Less than 10% actually goes out to their supported charities.  And those charities have a lot of strings attached.  Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts have told UW to take a hike.

If you want to give to any charity, or cause, do so directly, you don't need United Way to take it's 90% cut.

Years ago, the boss called us all in to a "safety meeting", which was really an arm twisting session for us to sign cards to allow money to be taken out of our checks for United Way.  I stood up and said, "Sorry, I dontate my money and time to Boy Scouts, and my wife does the same with the Girl Scouts.  United Way apparently wants to dictate to the Scouts what their policy has to be on homosexuality.  And these guys siphon off 90% of the money before it ever goes out to the charities.  I will just give my money directly, and I highly resent being told I have to do this."

I walked out, and so did every one else.  We have not heard diddley about United Way since.

They have had some very serious accounting problems.

I hate United Way.  To me, they are no better than organized crime, a protection racket.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 3:00:01 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
... The CFC (Combined Federal Campaign) works like that. We just had the yearly drive at the base. I donated to 3 Veterans groups. It is kinda nice as you get to pick what agency gets your donation ...

Don’t know if it’s still true since I haven’t given to CFC in years, but at one time IIRC they set ceilings on how much a specific charity could receive, after which any excess funds donated to that charity would be given to someone else.

And there are some incredibly vile “charities” on their list.  

+1   yup ... you would not believe some of the so called charities!
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 3:22:24 PM EDT
[#21]
I to have been extorted by my Co. in the past, so I will say FUCK YOU ! United Way
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 3:36:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 5:51:49 PM EDT
[#23]
I didn't give at where I worked 10-12 years ago because I didn't want to and believe me they turned up the heat. I had managers and supervisors talking to me for days because it would make the co. look good to have 100% participation. I never did give. That was before the CEO or whomever stole all that money.  
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:03:50 PM EDT
[#24]
We just had the spiel at my work.
If they ask me why I didn't/won't donate, I will tell them that I won't donate in the name of my company, a company that doesn't recognize my American rights (won't let me CCW). I'll tell them I donate all my money to the NRA  
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:13:26 PM EDT
[#25]
UA modis operandi is synonomous with Jessee Jackson's. Quite a racket. I quit the payroll deduction early in my career (25 years ago), after doing some research. It is a crooked org., run by crooks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top