Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/9/2010 10:11:44 AM EDT
The United Steelworkers is asking the Obama Administration to file a trade case against China over its burgeoning green energy industry, which the union alleges is subsidized by a host of government policies that disadvantage U.S. workers.

The union outlined five examples of what it said were China's "protectionist and predatory practices" in a 5,800-page filing with U.S. Trade Representative Ron Kirk. They included Chinese restrictions on exporting materials needed to manufacture renewable energy equipment; requiring Chinese manufacturers to use a high portion of Chinese-made goods in their products; technology transfer requirements; and giving Chinese companies advantages over foreign competitors in credit, bidding and other matters.

USW President Leo W. Gerard said China's policies are threatening U.S. jobs and energy security.

"China is taking every possible step ... to ensure that it will control that sector. America can't afford to cede more of its manufacturing base to China," he said.

"If all we do is exchange our dependence on foreign oil for a dependence on Chinese alternative and renewable energy production equipment, we will have traded away our nation's energy, economic and job security."

The union represents 850,000 workers in the steel, aluminum and other industries that supply companies that make wind turbines, solar panels and other green energy goods.

The USW filed the case under a 1974 law that gives the Obama administration 45 days, or until Oct. 24, to decide whether to pursue the case. If it does, U.S. trade officials would begin talks with the Chinese government within 90 days.

Mr. Gerard said ending what he termed China's "rogue practices" would help the White House achieve its objective of doubling U.S. exports.

"It would take a lot to prove to me they're not cheating," he said. "We've lost thousands of jobs and thousands of job opportunities."

Read more: http://www.postgazette.com/pg/10252/1086282-100.stm#ixzz0z3baaxjL

Whole lotta WTF.

So much for Obama's "green jobs."
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:12:46 AM EDT
Let's sue another country. That's a great idea.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:14:05 AM EDT
i used to be a steel worker. you would be surprised at how many american contracts are lost to china ? in before the bashers
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:16:04 AM EDT
Fuck the union. Protectionism is wrong no matter which party is supporting it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:17:03 AM EDT
Originally Posted By AR-180:
Let's sue another country a country that owns a big chunk of our debt, and the mere threat of calling it in would put our bond market in the shitter. That's a great idea.

Fixed.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:19:11 AM EDT
Hank Rearden would be proud.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 11:10:01 AM EDT
Just when you thought it was already full blown retard... They go and invent whole new levels of retardation.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 11:26:17 AM EDT
What. The. Fuck.

Entitlement attitudes = end of Capitalism. It's like watching little babies scream for more candy.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 12:04:36 PM EDT
Originally Posted By fammyman:
i used to be a steel worker. you would be surprised at how many american contracts are lost to china ? in before the bashers

Same goes for the machinest/tool and die work that used to be abundant. (many of which were non union jobs)
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 12:13:57 PM EDT
I'm rather skeptical of any bullshit a union puts out - particularly when it comes to topics of protectionism. I've seen this play out in another industry and it was just certain organizations in the US trying to make everyone else suck as much as them so they can compete.
Top Top