Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/30/2001 6:11:08 PM EDT
Okay, first of all, I don't mean to insult any one who works for the US Post office here.  Actually, you would be the best ones to answer my question/situation (odds).

Anyone else who had a funny thing happen w/ the USPS can post too.......

Okay, mailed of a payment for a rifle from an auction.  I purchased a postal money order for the payment (cheap, didn't want to do the 2% paypal thing).  Sent it Certified mail w/ a return card.  Now, the originating state and receiving state are right next to each other.  My post office said it should take 3 days max to get there.  Well, to this day, it's still not there. (April 30th)

The word is, and I'm not really sure.  The slip is at the post office, but the envelope isn't.  The person who is suppose to recieve it said slip, so I'm assuming it's A) The card that is to be returned to me or B) the notice to the receiver he/she has certified mail w/ return card at the post office.  Either way, my cash is in limbo!!!!

I emailed the certified number to the receiver and they said the post office will let them know when it's found (so I'm assuming notification slip was what he was talking about?)

How long should I wait till I actually find out of the MO was cashed?  (I still have the receipt.)  It's been about two weeks since I sent it off.  What can I do on my end?  Is it up to the reciever since it might be a problem at their post office?

I WANT MY RIFLE!!!!! WAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!  A simple send it in the US mail and this happens.!!!!!  What's the odds..........

Damn it, I"m pissed.  I might as well say it, Central Washington (originted at) sent to Portland, Oregon.

The FFL, which was mailed seperate from the dealer arrived about 4 days after it was sent.  My money isn't there or if it is, it's lost in the post office!!!!! WAaaaaaaaaaa.

No, if the person who I'm sending it to reads this and it sounds familiar, no offence.  (Maybe different auction user names vs here, if they're even here on AR15.com).

I feel a little better.......... but not as good if I had my rifle.
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 6:16:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Kali,

tomorrow morning go to the post office and tell them the story and demand your money right away. because your letter is gone.
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 6:21:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Doesn't the usps require a 60 day wait before it will refund, if the mo has not been paid? Also, there is a $3 fee just to file a claim.
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 6:26:50 PM EDT
[#3]

My post office said to wait for 15 days.  If the receiver does not sign for it, it will come back.  I went through a different FFL since my buddy is waiting for his new copy (dang ATF, it's been 30 days..... he needs it!!!)

Now that I look at it, paypal-ing the cash would have only been an extra $10 (less actually)......
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 6:32:16 PM EDT
[#4]
The automated equipment probably ate your letter.  Send it overnite next time.  It usually takes 30 to 45 days to refund a postal money order. One of mine got 'lost' on the way too, the shipper never rec'd it.
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 6:53:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Ok, off topic...new question. Exactly what procedure must be followed in order to send a firearm to a ffl holder, through the usps. I ask because, needing a box, I carried a folding stock into the post office(Very small town). The Postmistress just happened to see it and ask what it was. When I told her, she got all excited and questioned whether I could send it, because it is a gun part. (She is completely Anti-gun.) After we got that cleared up, she insists that: in order to mail a long gun, the following is required: affidavits from the 1)Sending PO 2)Receiving PO 3)The dealer receiving the firearm, and that theThe Post office must notify the BATF.
Comments anyone?
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 8:21:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
After we got that cleared up, she insists that: in order to mail a long gun, the following is required: affidavits from the 1)Sending PO 2)Receiving PO 3)The dealer receiving the firearm, and that theThe Post office must notify the BATF.
Comments anyone?
View Quote

Ummm....  I think she is full of sh*t.  I am an FFL holder, and I have NEVER had to do ANY of that.  The receiver of the firearm must be an adult, and it has to be signed for.  It is perfectly legal to ship a firearm by mail.  It is NOT legal, however, to ship ammunition, or flammable ammunition components.

Edited for spelling.  Can't type tonight....
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 11:58:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Geeze, you need to look up the actual laws concerning shipping firearms via USPS.

[url]http://new.usps.com/cgi-bin/uspsbvXXXXs/content.jsp?D=24845[/url]

UNLOADED HANDGUNS:
a. Pistols, revolvers, and other firearms capable of being concealed on
the person (referred to as handguns) are nonmailable in the domestic
mail except as permitted in Exhibit 432.1 and DMM C024.1.0.

Exhibit 432.1:
Mailer must be licensed manufacturer or dealer mailing to another licensed manufacturer or dealer.

Manufacturers or dealers must complete PS Form 1508, Statement by Shipper of
Firearms, and file with the postmaster.
Postmasters may forward an unsatisfactory mailer statement to their RCSC for a ruling.

UNLOADED SHOTGUN AND RIFLE:
d. Unloaded rifles and shotguns may be mailed if the mailer fully complies with the Gun Control Act of 1968 (Public Law 90-618) and 18 U.S.C. 921. The mailer may be required to establish, by opening the parcel or
by written certification, that the gun is unloaded and not excluded from
mailing because of the restrictions in 431.2b and c.

431.2b:
Short-barrelled rifles or shotguns that can be concealed on the person are nonmailable.

Mailer must comply with Gun Control Act of 1968 and with state and local laws.
USPS may require mailer to open parcel or give written certification that weapon is unloaded and not concealable.

Registered mail service is recommended

Link Posted: 5/1/2001 4:23:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Within the last few months I have had more stuff screwed up by these people. I sent a money order for some mags. The guy finally got the check 24 days later. I sent a video tape to a friend of mine, here we are 35 days later and he still has not gotten it. Even though its only 2 items. It is totally unacceptable.

It seems the only reason to get the post office going now a days is to keep retarts employeed.
Link Posted: 5/1/2001 6:22:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Get your m.o. carbon copy/receipt stubb and call this #: 800-868-2443.  Just key in the info and it'll tell you if it's been processed.
Link Posted: 5/1/2001 8:22:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Kevin@AR15com_1&2:
Get your m.o. carbon copy/receipt stubb and call this #: 800-868-2443.  Just key in the info and it'll tell you if it's been processed.
View Quote

Why isn't that number on the web site!!!!  That number would help tons of people!!!!

I'm gonna keep that number in a safe place!!!

OH, it hasn't been cashed yet..... damn machines...if it ate it....
Link Posted: 5/1/2001 9:40:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Why isn't that number on the web site!!!!  That number would help tons of people!!!!

I'm gonna keep that number in a safe place!!!
View Quote

I don't understand why they don't post it.  I got it from a Postal employee, had it for a couple of years now.  Definitely file it away in a frequently used file so you remember you have it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 12:31:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Well, I don't know.  Maybe it's buried so you have to go to the post office to bug them.

Any way, today I received the return card.  Lets hope that all went well .....
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 12:47:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 1:25:41 PM EDT
[#14]
"The automated equipment probably ate your letter."

Yep...

I work in automated mail processing for USPS.

My operation handles 4 MILLION letters per day.  Each of these machines has a production rate of 30,000 letters per hour.  Acceptable damage rate is 1% per hour.  Do the math...

Certified Mail is a total waste of money.  All you get is the green 3811 form coming back.  In no other way is Certified handled differently.  It travels mixed in with the other first class mail.

If security is a concern, use Registered Mail.  Every person that handles your letter has to sign for it, even the truck drivers have to sign.  It is hand sorted in a separate area.  A little slower than regular first class, but safer.

It is entirely possible Postal Workers stole your money.  20 of my coworkers have been arrested for stealing various things from the mail, mainly credit cards.  This despite Postal Inspectors constantly watching us from behind one way mirrors.
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 8:47:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
"The automated equipment probably ate your letter."

Yep...

Certified Mail is a total waste of money.  

If security is a concern, use Registered Mail.  Every person that handles your letter has to sign for it, even the truck drivers have to sign.  It is hand sorted in a separate area.  A little slower than regular first class, but safer.
View Quote

Well, maybe when I sent high value stuff, over 100.  But the certified mail w/ return only tells me that the person I sent it to 'signed' for it.  If security is the problem/concern, then registered.  Or what ever......

Weather it's UPS, Fed Ex, or the USPS.....it's "damned if you do, damned if you don't".

Thanks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top