3/29 FA was "pacesetters"
1/15FA was "First To Fire"

1/15 was also known as the "payday battalion"
Link Posted: 1/30/2007 1:46:37 PM EDT
[#2]
USCGC Capstan (WYTL 65601)
"Attack Tug"

unofficial is:
72 tons of twisted steel and sex appeal.
or
"Anything we want"  
(in response to "What do you attack" after people read the brow dodger or cargo net covers)
Link Posted: 1/30/2007 4:02:20 PM EDT
[#3]
My first squadron was the 561FS, "The Last Great Fighter Squadron".  

2nd sqdn was predator, "Eyes of the Warrior", yeah right.  

3rd was the 5th RS, "Black Cats".  We didn't need a motto, ours was "too bad you PACAF fuckers are having another excercise, we are going downtown to bang your juicy, for free."

4th was the 61AS, "Green Hornets", didn't have a motto that I knew of unofficial or official.  

5th was the 56RQS, "Friends in Low Places".  

6th was the 62AMXS "We bone our own".  

Current sqdn I'll have to tell you about much later, opsec.   Motto will have to be "Inshaallah, bitches".  

Link Posted: 1/30/2007 9:45:53 PM EDT
[#4]
3/32 INF - "Queen's Own", from the RGT's Hawaiin lineage

5/8 INF - Hell if I remember.

3/8 INF - "War Eagles"

8th ID (M) "Pathfinder" The division received the moniker because the camp where it was formed was named after a famed Indian scout / pathfinder.

3/320 FA "Red Knights" Motto was "Volens et Potens" - Ready and Able. When saluting, our greeting was "Time On Target", which was answered with "Air Assault."

187 INF RGT "The Rakassans" from the RGT's post-WWII occupation duties in Japan, the RGT was a parachute RGT at the time, and the Japanese said that the parachutes looked like falling umbrellas, which is Rakassan in Japanese.

101st ABN DIV (AASLT) "The Screaming Eagles"  The name comes from the mascot of the Iron Brigade, a WI unit from the Civil War.  When the 101st was formed, it was built around WI National Guard units.  The Iron BDE went into combat with their mascot, "Old Abe", an American Bald Eagle.  "Old Abe" was actually wounded in combat, at least once.  When the DIV was formed, they took on Abe's likeness for the unit patch, and an American Bald Eagle served as the DIV mascot.  Upon the death of the 2nd "Old Abe", he was replaced with "Young Abe", who served until his death.  Due to the protected status of Bald Eagles, the DIV does not currently have a living mascot.

Of course, we had some less than flattering names for the units, such as Rocket-Scientists, Puking Buzzards, Bitchin' Chickens, etc., etc.
Link Posted: 1/30/2007 10:31:53 PM EDT
[#5]
1st Infantry Division - The big red one
No mission to difficult, No scarifice too great, Duty first.

16 Infantry Regiment

Regimental motto “Semper Paratus” – “Always ready” or more properly “Always Prepared”—adopted in 1907.

Regimental nickname: “Rangers”—adopted when the Germans mistakenly reported the 16th Infantry to be Ranger units in their dispatches to higher headquarters during the Normandy Campaign

Battalion nicknames:

1st Battalion: “Iron Rangers” – adopted in 1966 in Viet Nam when the Battalion was mechanized.

2nd Battalion: “Rangers”

3rd Battalion: “Maine’s Own”

4th Battalion: “Blue Devils”—adopted in 1983 when the Battalion was formed from personnel and equipment of the 1st Battalion, 26th Infantry “Blue Spaders” and also in honor of the 47th French Division which trained the 16th Infantry in World War I and used the nickname as well.

5th Battalion: “Devil Rangers” – adopted in 1983 to indicate the Battalion was assigned to the 1st Brigade 1st Infantry Division which uses the tactical call sign “devil.”

Nickname of the 16th Infantry unit insignia: “Checkerboards”—coined by soldiers in the Regiment when the insignia was adopted in the 1920’s.

Regimental song: “Sidewalks of New York”—adopted in the 1920s when the Regiment was stationed at Ft. Jay, Governor’s Island, New York.
Link Posted: 1/31/2007 5:06:18 AM EDT
[#6]
6/37 FA was officially "On the Minute".

Unofficially was:

"In a Minute"
"Just a Minute"
"Wait a Minute"
"Gimme a Minute"
Link Posted: 1/31/2007 10:28:01 AM EDT
[#7]
<--- 53rd Military Airlift Squadron...the Blackjacks. Motto: Primus Cum Plurimi (First with the most).

52nd Airlift Squadron...the Fighting Roo's. No motto.

30th Airlift Squadron...the Arctic Falcons. Motto: Ubivis Quando Vis (Anywhere, Anytime) Should have been, "We're from Jersey...Fuck you!"
Link Posted: 1/31/2007 10:42:40 AM EDT
[#8]
2nd Bat. "Sua Sponte" latin for "of thier own accord" which i dont remember why we adopted that, guess because at one time we did what ever the hell we wanted, lol.

and also of course,

"rangers lead the way" which was given to us by a straight leg general actually, who when everyone was stalled on the beach at normandy asked " which unit are you" the reply given " were rangers sir, 2nd batt.", and he said, " well if your rangers, then lead the way, get us off this beach" and they did.

also the name "ranger" originally adopted by major robert rogers for his units in the french and indian wars 1750's, because his units were made up of men who "ranged the woods" way out in enemy/unknown territory, with no help or support. just a knife, tomahawk, & musket.
Link Posted: 1/31/2007 11:02:07 AM EDT
[#9]
82ND ABN Div...Salute "ALL THE WAY"...reply..."AIRBORNE"
1/117 CAV  ABN 82nd ABN "OUT FRONT"
1/172 FA NHANG..."LOAD WITH CANNISTER"
Link Posted: 1/31/2007 3:46:26 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
2nd Bat. "Sua Sponte" latin for "of thier own accord" which i dont remember why we adopted that, guess because at one time we did what ever the hell we wanted, lol.

and also of course,

"rangers lead the way" which was given to us by a straight leg general actually, who when everyone was stalled on the beach at normandy asked " which unit are you" the reply given " were rangers sir, 2nd batt.", and he said, " well if your rangers, then lead the way, get us off this beach" and they did.

also the name "ranger" originally adopted by major robert rogers for his units in the french and indian wars 1750's, because his units were made up of men who "ranged the woods" way out in enemy/unknown territory, with no help or support. just a knife, tomahawk, & musket.

Hey Joe,

When were you in A Co.?

I was a "Bad Muther" from March 88 to November 91.

Steve
Link Posted: 2/1/2007 6:40:25 AM EDT
[#11]
first unit - 1/5 Cav, 1CD - Black Knights, I don't remember any motto

second unit - 2/30 Inf - 3ID - Wild Boar - "Rock of the Marne"

basic training - A-1-1, 3rd squad, "Third Herd" - "Relentless in training, unyielding in combat"
Link Posted: 2/1/2007 7:29:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Parachute Regiment: Red Devils, Maroon Machine.
Moto: UTRINQUE PARATUS: Ready for anything.
Link Posted: 2/1/2007 7:51:43 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

and also of course,

Hey Joe,

When were you in A Co.?

Steve

steve you shithead, stop acting like you dont know its me! Great to hear from ya buddy! If i make my guess your last name starts with a K, and we were in the guard together after active duty, i was your gunner in the bradly and shot top gun, even though the leg graders tryed to screw us, cause they didnt like rangers, so is this you?
if it is you know i was a 90 gunner in WPNS. joe
Link Posted: 2/1/2007 8:32:27 AM EDT
[#14]
2-22 INF 10th Mountain Div
"Triple Duece", motto- Deeds Not Words, Climb to glory
The 'Other" mottos, Triple douche, Words not deeds, Climb nothing
Link Posted: 2/1/2007 8:55:26 AM EDT
[#15]
1/205th RSAC - ATAL (mean warrior in pashto i believe)

unoffical - "death of a thousand papercuts"  (need it translated in latin though"

Link Posted: 2/1/2007 10:25:18 AM EDT
[#16]
USMC 3rd Recon
"Celer, Silens, Mortalis" (Swift, Silent, Deadly)
More often than not, "Swift, Silent and Surrounded", and you know what Chesty said about that!
Link Posted: 2/1/2007 2:20:57 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

and also of course,

Hey Joe,

When were you in A Co.?

Steve

steve you shithead, stop acting like you dont know its me! Great to hear from ya buddy! If i make my guess your last name starts with a K, and we were in the guard together after active duty, i was your gunner in the bradly and shot top gun, even though the leg graders tryed to screw us, cause they didnt like rangers, so is this you?
if it is you know i was a 90 gunner in WPNS. joe

Hey Joe,

Where the hell have you been?

I sent you an e-mail

Steve
Link Posted: 2/1/2007 2:26:12 PM EDT
[#18]
I was deployed with CFSOCC....

Their motto?

MOLON LABE
Link Posted: 2/1/2007 6:39:00 PM EDT
[#19]
3rd Battalion 21st Infantry Regiment 1st Stryker Brigade Combat  25th Infantry Division
Battalion nickname "Gimlets", motto "Bore brother bore" It is not well loved.
Link Posted: 2/2/2007 2:14:46 AM EDT
[#20]
2/72 Armor - "Crusaders"

When saluting officers our greeting was "Firebreathers, Sir!"

Link Posted: 2/2/2007 4:34:01 PM EDT
[#21]
USS Maine SSBN 741 (Gold)

Missile Technician Division Motto:

"In God we trust. All others we target."
Link Posted: 2/2/2007 5:31:47 PM EDT
[#22]
1 batallion, 187th Infantry regt.  Ne desit virtus.  Meaning, let valor not fail.
Also known as the Rakkassans as previosly stated by OEF vet.
1st bn was also known as the "leader battalion," or "Rakkassan Leaders."
3rd is the "Iron Rakkassans", and I can't remember what 2nd was.
They have also been called the "Steel Berets" because at one point they wore steel grey berets.  You can see some of the old timers wearing them at the reunions and gatherings.  Not as many now as a decade ago though.

Called the rakka suck by the 502nd, or five-oh-douche, and 327, or three-two-heavon.

115th Infanty (MD ARNG) "Rally 'round the flag" from a civil war battle.

29th Infantry Division (Light), "The Blue and the Grey" from the patch signifying it was made up from units from both the North and the South.  the patch looks like a yin-yang symbol. Motto is "29, Let's go!"

It was the commander of the 29th that gave the order to the Rangers to lead the way off the beach on Normandy.  Though to be fair the 29th was pretty chewed up by then.

If the history I was taught about the division was true, they weren't even supposed to have actually taken the beach. They were fresh from the states, and it was thought that whoever hit the beach first would be pretty much dead and all they could do would be to weaken the German defenses.  The already battle proven 4th ID was supposed to follow behind and do the actual taking of land.  The 29th (with one of it's units, the 116th IN taking the highest per capita loss of men that day, it's why the D-Day memorial is in the tiny town of Bedford, VA), ended up taking their section of the beach.

898th engineer batallion (WA ARNG) "First into Battle." "The traditional place of combat engineers."  Or something like that.  No longer exists.
There was also the "Sappers First" responded by "Second to none" thing that only lasted through one commander.

161 Infantry.  "First in Peace, First in War."

81st BCT "Washington Rifles" from back in the day when it was just some infantry as the WA militia.
Link Posted: 2/2/2007 7:51:54 PM EDT
[#23]

1 batallion, 187th Infantry regt. Ne desit virtus. Meaning, let valor not fail.
Also known as the Rakkassans as previosly stated by OEF vet.
1st bn was also known as the "leader battalion," or "Rakkassan Leaders."
3rd is the "Iron Rakkassans", and I can't remember what 2nd was.

2nd BN was Raider Rakassan.

I spent time attached to 1st and 2nd BNs, as well as HHC / BDE.
Link Posted: 2/2/2007 8:10:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Co. name = Butt "Bandits"

I officially came up with the Butt part in Iraq when we changed from the "Berzerkers" to the "Bandits".

And it kinda stuck with my squad and others who know me and my roommate.

As far as Battalion mottos, I'd really rather not say.
Link Posted: 2/2/2007 9:14:24 PM EDT
[#25]
3-327th IN BATTLEFORCE!

HHC 1st BDE, Always First!

HHC 5/87th IN Hellcats.

2-2IN Ramrod
Link Posted: 2/2/2007 10:35:31 PM EDT
[#26]
USS Rodney M. Davis (FFG 60)
"By Valor & Arms"

USS Rodney M. Different
USS Rodney M. Dangerous
USS Rodney Dangerfield
USS Ruin My Day

Link Posted: 2/3/2007 3:21:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Omaha beach was split between the 1st and 29th infantry divisions. One of the reasons for this was since the 29th ID was green, it was felt that landing with the veteran 1st ID would help. The Army was training a third Ranger battalion drawn mostly from the 29th ID, but it was disbanded and it's Rangers were dispersed into the 29th ID where their training was thought to be helpful is stiffining the assault units. All units of the 29th ID landing on D-day were under the temporary command of the 1st ID because the 29th ID general staff had no combat experience. The 1st and 29th ID's were susposed to open the five draws and advance just south of the costal highway that linked all the small towns behind the Normandy beaches. This would allow the follow on waves to drive off the beach and into combat. In reality the units assaulting Omaha were luckey to get just over the bluffs and cliffs, although they did open all five draws for the 2nd ID, which landed on D+1.

The unit from the 29th ID who's memorial is located in Bedford VA is A Company\116 Infantry. Not a lot of information is available about A\116 during the invasion because the unit suffered 66% KIA, and almost 100% WIA. 19 of the KIA were from Bedford, including a pair of brothers.

The 4th ID landed on Utah, and had nothing to do with Omaha beach.

Quoted:
If the history I was taught about the division was true, they weren't even supposed to have actually taken the beach. They were fresh from the states, and it was thought that whoever hit the beach first would be pretty much dead and all they could do would be to weaken the German defenses.  The already battle proven 4th ID was supposed to follow behind and do the actual taking of land.  The 29th (with one of it's units, the 116th IN taking the highest per capita loss of men that day, it's why the D-Day memorial is in the tiny town of Bedford, VA), ended up taking their section of the beach.
Link Posted: 2/5/2007 6:31:29 PM EDT
[#28]
96th CAB (A)

"Advise Maintain Create" is on our DUI

"Order From Chaos" is the Bn motto

Link Posted: 2/11/2007 4:44:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Duh
Link Posted: 2/12/2007 12:31:18 PM EDT
[#30]
E co, 1/30 Inf: Battle Boar. ! BDE Always First 3d ID, Rock of the Marne

D co 2/327: Delta Demons. The Battalion mottto: No Slack. Regimental motto: Honor and Country.

101ABN(AASLT) Screaming Eagles (Barfing buzzards, choking chicken, screaming chicken) Okay to say if you were in the unit, not okay if you were fron a lesser, obsolete unit, like, say the 82d.
Link Posted: 2/12/2007 1:51:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Would y'all mind throwing some suggestions my way?

We just reorg'ed as A Troop, 2/107 CAV - ARS. Traditionally our A Troop as been "Apache". As a new unit, with a new command team, they're looking for a change.

We've already thought through just about every "a" word we can think of that sounds good. Can y'all lend any help with a cool, cav related "a" nickname?

Units i've been in:
6/27 FA (MLRS) "Proud Rockets", A Battery - "Steel Rain"
1/15 FA (SP) "First to Fire", SVC Battery - "Beans and Bullets"
237th FSB, OHARNG "Provide and Sustain" and "Atlas Battalion". A Company - "To the Front!"
1/148 IN, OHARNG "We'll Do It", from a response given by a company commander sometime in WWI.
Link Posted: 2/12/2007 3:56:20 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Would y'all mind throwing some suggestions my way?

We've already thought through just about every "a" word we can think of that sounds good. Can y'all lend any help with a cool, cav related "a" nickname?

I just have to throw this in there.  Years ago I had an idiot 1SG who made our company motto the "ALPHAGATORS".  Man, I almost forgot about his stupid ass.

Mark
Link Posted: 2/12/2007 4:09:36 PM EDT
[#33]
G 104th  "Nomads"

Our motto is "Heavy Lifters"
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 12:14:58 PM EDT
[#34]
lesse, in something close to my order of assignments:

1/10 FA, ("steel") unofficial motto- 1st of the dime, 1st in crime
which was 3rd brigade "sledgehammer", 3rd id

645th asg, official name "recalicitrants" given by division, because of our hardheadedness, motto "unquestionable support"
which was part of the 88th rsc (formerly id) "Blue Devils"

1/7 fa, "First lightning" "never broken by hardship or battle", part of 2nd brigade "dagger" 1st id "danger"  1/7 was the first American artillery unit to shoot fires in support of russian troops(kosovo) since the end of ww2

1/5 fa, "Hamilton's own", our unit was originally a artillery battery founded by alexander hamilton during the revolutionary war, and is currently the oldest continusly serving unit in the united states army, 1st brigade "dagger", 1st id
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 5:54:38 PM EDT
[#35]
It's a small world, or rather a small Army. I'm currently in A Co 101 Signal Bn, NYARNG. Before being converted to a signal unit, my company was Battery A/1st Battalion/156th Field Artillery Regiment. Unit lore had the 156 Arty as the oldest continusly serving unit in the entire Army until it folded it's colors. I don't know if it was true, but it certanly dates back to serving at the same time as the 1/5 FA.

Quoted:
1/5 fa, "Hamilton's own", our unit was originally a artillery battery founded by alexander hamilton during the revolutionary war, and is currently the oldest continusly serving unit in the united states army, 1st brigade "dagger", 1st id
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 6:47:21 PM EDT
[#36]
11th Cav Sqdn, FCA: The Pedalling Panzers (Old). Through the Mud and the Blood for the Green Fields of Home (Taken from British Armored Corps, unit flash had red pegasus, green and black background).

1-149AR: Men and Steel (On DUI)/Remember the Road to Bataan (Greeting)
1-185AR: Desert Knights.
1/B/1-185AR: Danger Bunnies.

NTM
Link Posted: 2/18/2007 9:52:22 AM EDT
[#37]
Danger Bunnies?  
Link Posted: 2/18/2007 10:05:11 AM EDT
[#38]
3/17 INF: Ninjas,we own the night!

2/7 INF: Cottonbalers! (Kinda gay)

1/41INF: Straight and Stalwart! (Unofficial: Stoned and Staggering!)
Link Posted: 2/18/2007 1:00:38 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Danger Bunnies?  

Frankly, we got sick of all the bloody 'Apache', 'killer', 'bulldog' etc callsigns out there, so it's a prod on that. We ran into a platoon of Combat Penguins in 1/24IN as well.

Besides, bunnies can be vicious. Just watch Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

At a recent course I was on, the class was split into two parts. We had to come up with a slogan for the T-shirt. The other half came up with "Fortune favours the Bold" or some such. (The course was a Company Level Pre-Command Course). We came up with "Adepto Sua Perfecta" which translates as "Git 'r done." Of course, the other half didn't like our motto, so we didn't buy any of the T-Shirts.

NTM
Link Posted: 2/18/2007 3:22:31 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
. We came up with "Adepto Sua Perfecta" which translates as "Git 'r done." Of course, the other half didn't like our motto, so we didn't buy any of the T-Shirts.

NTM

I like that

60th APS (Aerial Port Squadron) "Deeds Not Words"  we just called it the Anal Penetration Squadron cause we were always getting screwed.
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 5:50:26 PM EDT
[#41]
HHC 8th Inf. (Pathfinders)
2nd/28th Inf Black Lions CSC 4 Duce ( High Angle Hell ) Mech Inf.

Link Posted: 2/21/2007 8:44:17 PM EDT
[#42]
3rd ID "Rock of the Marne"

Otherwise known as the Marne Express, Dog-faced Soldiers, and known far and wide in the Army for many reasons to BOHICA.

BTW MARNE is an acronym (I had a team leader tell me this..though I doubt he came up with it originally)....

My Ass Reaming Never Ends

3MP Bat is "Marne Police"

3MP Co nick was "Regulators" (inactive as of early 2004 )

and I always thought this was funny...
My platoon (4th) that I invaded Iraq with in 2003 was the "Crusaders".  That still makes me laugh

An unofficial 4th PLT motto was "Rocky loves you".  Rocky is the bulldog mascot of the 3rd ID.  Everytime (and it was OFTEN) we got a real shitty mission or assignment someone would chime in with...remember, Rocky loves you.  

Some more interesting trIVIA about 3rd ID...the Rocky statue was made by Disney for the 3rd ID and was sold to the Division for $1.  Up until a couple years ago the statue had a huge set of balls which, oddly enough, along with his ass faced the stands set up at Marne Gardens (a place were ceremonies etc are held).  Apparently someone got offended a couple years ago (probably some visiting Generals wife ) by the huge canine testicles and they removed them.  
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 6:56:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Heres a blast from the past
1/64AR  (Tuskers)
24th ID "First to fight sir".... "Victory"
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 7:29:58 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Apparently someone got offended a couple years ago (probably some visiting Generals wife ) by the huge canine testicles and they removed them.  

The shit never ends, I hate PC losers.

Link Posted: 2/23/2007 6:35:25 AM EDT
[#45]
<----

366th Tactical Fighter Wing - "The Gunfighters"
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 11:53:27 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Apparently someone got offended a couple years ago (probably some visiting Generals wife ) by the huge canine testicles and they removed them.  

The shit never ends, I hate PC losers.

Yep.  Then again those Privates that had to shine Rocky's privates are probably happy  .
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 9:37:18 AM EDT
[#47]
2ID : Second to none!
Or in the words of Fmr commanding General Honeray:  
  Double your Pleasure,
  Double your Fun,
  Two years in one,
  Second to none!

122nd Sig BN, 2 ID:
  Voice of the Warrior

Bco 319th Sig bn: Hard charging Bulls
 Unofficial:  BOHICA
319th Sig:  Together We Will
 Unofficial through B co:  We'll carry your asses
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 9:09:22 PM EDT
[#48]
308th trans "drive it like you stole it"
ETA- 3rd platoon "Chupacabras!!)

424th maint./ det 3 unofficial "bustin nuts"
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 9:22:17 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Danger Bunnies?  

Got to Love Danger Bunnies!!

[monty python] Careful Men, that Rabbit is Dynamite!![/monty python]

BIGGER_HAMMER

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top