Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/21/2005 1:28:08 PM EDT
Looking into purchasing a wedding band. I dislike jewelry, so I am hoping to throw a little cool factor into my wedding band. I have heard of some new materials that are being offered for wedding bands....titanium...possibly inconel?

any thoughts/suggestions?
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 1:30:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Tungsten Carbide or titanuim is cool, who wants some soft ass gold to get all jacked up? www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2.cgi?PAGE=PRODUCT&PROD_ID=1055080&cid=48733&fp=F#
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 1:31:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Run like your head's on fire and your ass is Catching!!!
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 1:33:05 PM EDT
[#3]
i like the way titanium looks but will end up with platinum since that is the bling bling these days

ETA:  damn, that Tungsten Carbide looks cool too.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 1:33:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 1:37:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Beryllium, a great material for the "Love" of your life.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 1:45:49 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Run like your head's on fire and your ass is Catching!!!

Damn thats funny man!!!
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 1:51:50 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Looking into purchasing a wedding band. I dislike jewelry, so I am hoping to throw a little cool factor into my wedding band. I have heard of some new materials that are being offered for wedding bands....titanium...possibly inconel?

Check these out

www.mokume-gane.com/
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 1:52:59 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Duridium
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 2:05:41 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Duridium

For all the nay-sayers here about marriage.....it is unfortunate your marriage turned you bitter, you should have made better choices in your past.

now please go off yourselves to help eliminate your suffereing
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 2:17:10 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Duridium

For all the nay-sayers here about marriage.....it is unfortunate your marriage turned you bitter, you should have made better choices in your past.

now please go off yourselves to help elimanate your suffereing

Quoted:
12/15/2015
Post #32678

Well the bitch is leaving and took the dog..........

Link Posted: 5/21/2005 2:27:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Carbon nanotube composite...by weight, it's 600 times stronger than steel...
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 5:29:29 PM EDT
[#12]
on knife art.com I saw a ring that I would want it's gold but the center of the band is damascus
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 5:47:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Plutonium
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 5:55:23 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
www.titanium-jewelry.com/6d-polished.html

If need be, how hard would that be to cut off?
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 5:56:39 PM EDT
[#15]
I used to like white gold....but since Afplayboy got me a platinum ring for christmas, I love platinum.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 6:05:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Beryllium....
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 6:08:57 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Tungsten Carbide or titanuim is cool, who wants some soft ass gold to get all jacked up? www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2.cgi?PAGE=PRODUCT&PROD_ID=1055080&cid=48733&fp=F#

The tungsten carbide one is very cool!
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 6:25:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Go with the carbide and see if you can get it Titanium Nitride Coated, or TiN Coated.

TiN Coating

You would be able to cut glass with it when you are done

AKASL
LIVE FREE OR DIE
WHITE MOUNTAINS
NEW HAMPSHIRE
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 6:29:22 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

good luck, cause the finger would be much much easier.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 6:33:02 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

good luck, cause the finger would be much much easier.

Can a Tungsten ring be cut off?
Yes! Please be aware that in any situation where it might become necessary to cut off a tungsten ring - for instance excessive weight gain, hand injury, etc., - cutting through tungsten will be more difficult than cutting through gold or platinum. However, it can still be done. In our own jewelry shop, as in many other jewelry shops, we have a cutting tool designed for cutting titanium and tungsten wedding bands. In addition, when we contacted our local hospital emergency room and asked if they were equipped to cut off a tungsten rings in an emergency, they told us that most hospital emergency rooms are prepared to handle almost anything, and assured us that it would be no problem for them.

During our 30 years of jewelry repair experience, we've only seen a dozen or so rings that have been cut off in hospital emergency rooms, and in most of those cases the rings had been bent out-of-round and was putting painful pressure on the finger. Tungsten rings are less likely to crush or bend out-of-round, so if you shut your hand in a car door or drop a heavy object on it, you might be safer wearing a tungsten ring than a precious metal band! Nonetheless, check with your local jeweler or medical facility if you have concerns.

www.e-weddingbands.com/store/tungsten_rings.html

Tungsten is WAY harder than titanium so it should be no sweat, no matter what you wear.  
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 6:38:05 PM EDT
[#21]
TiNi.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 6:41:36 PM EDT
[#22]
DO NOT GET TITANIUM RINGS.  If you are in a horrible accident or have swelling, no ring cutter will get it off.  That means by the time the hospital figures out how to cut the titanium off your finger might be dead and you may need to get an amputation.  We had a dude with a titanium ring and it messed up the ring cutter blade pretty bad.  Only scratched the ring cutter. I never did find out how they got the damn thing off.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 6:44:56 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I have heard of some new materials that are being offered for wedding bands....titanium...possibly inconel?

Malice, greed and will to dominate all life?

Oh wait, those are standard materials in all wedding rings. My bad.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 6:47:15 PM EDT
[#24]

http://web.archive.org/web/20040314025022/http://members.tripod.com/dlclark/coinring.htm

Link Posted: 5/21/2005 7:08:51 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
DO NOT GET TITANIUM RINGS.  If you are in a horrible accident or have swelling, no ring cutter will get it off.  That means by the time the hospital figures out how to cut the titanium off your finger might be dead and you may need to get an amputation.  We had a dude with a titanium ring and it messed up the ring cutter blade pretty bad.  Only scratched the ring cutter. I never did find out how they got the damn thing off.

There are different alloys of titanium, allegedly the "aircraft-grade" rings are the most difficult to cut off with the softer alloys/grades alledgedly being readily cut.

Tungsten Carbide rings are to be broken off using vice grips in an emergency.  Clamp the vice grips down and tighten, unlock the vice grips tighten them slightly then squueze down to close them and the rings should crack, open the vice grips, change their position on the rings and close the vice grips again to break the ring in a second spot.

I don't know how many ERs keep vice grips on hand though.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 7:18:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 8:15:22 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
My wedding band is titanium, and I'm not worried a bit. It's lightweight and not too flashy, I like that. My wife's rings are both platinum, that's what she wanted.

+1 exactly.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 8:24:31 PM EDT
[#28]
My Wedding Band is Tungsten Carbide.

I really like it
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 8:29:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 9:31:42 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:
My Wedding Band is Tungsten Carbide.

I really like it

How is the weight of it?

When I first put it on it was sort of heavy, but I had never worn a wedding ring, I got used to the weight after a couple of days.

I like the idea that it will not crush or bend, it also has a lifetime warranty against breakage, scratches and sizing
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 9:39:03 PM EDT
[#31]
I have a titanium band. Very comfortable and light and tough. I am a mechanic and nothing that I have doen to it so far has done any noticeable damage to it!
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 9:43:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 9:46:02 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
www.biojewelry.co.uk/

Thats nasty, if you want to go this route, just kill the bride to be and make one of these:

www.lifegem.com/
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 9:49:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Another vote for PLAT.  Even though the wife and I are no longer together, I stll have the ring.  I plan to give it to my daughter someday. This issimilar to it ( I guess they changed the design in 10 years a little. Same company though):

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top