Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/12/2011 8:54:31 AM EDT
Didn't look to see if this has been posted yet so if it has, oh well. It bears repeating.
UNIONS THREATEN BUSINESS
By Charlie Sykes

Story Created: Mar 10, 2011
Story Updated: Mar 12, 2011

UPDATE: Welcome Drudge readers; You can also follow events in Wisconsin by following me on Twitter @SykesCharlie.

"That's a nice business you got there. Pity if anything were to happen to it if, say, you didn't toe the line and denounce Governor Walker like we're asking nice-like."

March 10, 2011
Mr. Tom Ellis, President
Marshall & Ilsley Corporation
770 N. Water Street
Milwaukee, WI 53202
SENT VIA FASCIMILE AND REGULAR MAIL

Dear Mr. Ellis:

As you undoubtedly know, Governor Walker recently proposed a “budget adjustment bill” to eviscerate public employees’ right to collectively bargain in Wisconsin. ..

As you also know, Scott Walker did not campaign on this issue when he ran for office. If he had, we are confident that you would not be listed among his largest contributors. As such, we are contacting you now to request your support.

The undersigned groups would like your company to publicly oppose Governor Walker’s efforts to virtually eliminate collective bargaining for public employees in Wisconsin. While we appreciate that you may need some time to consider this request, we ask for your response by March 17.

In the event that you do not respond to this request by that date, we will assume that you stand with Governor Walker and against the teachers, nurses, police officers, fire fighters, and other dedicated public employees who serve our communities.

In the event that you cannot support this effort to save collective bargaining, please be advised that the undersigned will publicly and formally boycott the goods and services provided by your company. However, if you join us, we will do everything in our power to publicly celebrate your partnership in the fight to preserve the right of public employees to be heard at the bargaining table.

Wisconsin’s public employee unions serve to protect and promote equality and fairness in the workplace. We hope you will stand with us and publicly share that ideal.

In the event you would like to discuss this matter further, please contact the executive Director of the Wisconsin Professional Police Association, Jim Palmer, at 608.273.3840.

Thank you in advance for your consideration. We look forward to hearing from you soon.

James L. Palmer, Executive Director
Wisconsin Professional Police Association
Mahlon Mitchell,President
Professional Fire Fighters
Jim Conway, President
International Association of Fire Fighters Local 311
John Matthews, Executive Director
Madison Teachers, Inc.
Keith Patt, Executive Director
Green Bay Education Association
Bob Richardson, President
Dane County Deputy Sheriffs Association
Dan Frei, President
Madison Professional Police Officers Association
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 8:57:29 AM EDT
[#1]
fug em
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 8:59:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Isn't this a form of extortion?
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 9:00:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Sounds pretty standard. Back us or we boycott. Nothing much to see here it doesnt seem.

ETA:

But lets try this. So half of Arfcom is guilty of extortion for the whole Obama price hike as well as the Leatherman fiasco with his political contributions? Is that what you're saying?
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 9:23:14 AM EDT
[#4]
IF the letter in OP is legit, it needs to get to Beck et al.  That's horse shit.  The government (in essence) will boycott you if you don't support the government's employees' union actions?  Talk about gross abuse of power.  They aren't talking about how they'll spend their own money.  That'd be fine.  They're (under a very thin veil) talking about how they'll spend departmental funds.   Appropriated funds.  Funds that are entrusted to them to be used to accomplish their duties, not to shore up their personal little union agendas.  

Every one of them needs to be sacked.

If it's legit.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 9:23:26 AM EDT
[#5]
yeez, these people are fucked up
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 9:23:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Sounds pretty standard. Back us or we boycott. Nothing much to see here it doesnt seem.

ETA:

But lets try this. So half of Arfcom is guilty of extortion for the whole Obama price hike as well as the Leatherman fiasco with his political contributions? Is that what you're saying?

I have a serious fucking problem with cops and firefighters saying this.
One reason they shouldn't be unionized.

Cops and firefighters keeping lists of businesses that "failed to support us" is a bad thing.  Using the lists as a threat should be criminal.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 12:15:30 PM EDT
[#7]
And this is EXACTLY why government employees, especially police, should not be allowed to unionize.

Not only is this letter a threat, but the fact that the ones threatening have badges makes it 10 times as bad.

What sleezeballs!!!
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 12:18:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

ETA:

The majority of us aren't goverment employees!

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 12:21:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Didn't look to see if this has been posted yet so if it has, oh well. It bears repeating.
UNIONS THREATEN BUSINESS
By Charlie Sykes

UPDATE: Welcome Drudge readers; You can also follow events in Wisconsin by following me on Twitter @SykesCharlie.

"That's a nice business you got there. Pity if anything were to happen to it if, say, you didn't toe the line and denounce Governor Walker like we're asking nice-like."

March 10, 2011
Mr. Tom Ellis, President
770 N. Water Street
Milwaukee, WI 53202

Dear Mr. Ellis:

As you undoubtedly know, Governor Walker recently proposed a “budget adjustment bill” to eviscerate public employees’ right to collectively bargain in Wisconsin. ..

As you also know, Scott Walker did not campaign on this issue when he ran for office. If he had, we are confident that you would not be listed among his largest contributors. As such, we are contacting you now to request your support.

The undersigned groups would like your company to publicly oppose Governor Walker’s efforts to virtually eliminate collective bargaining for public employees in Wisconsin. While we appreciate that you may need some time to consider this request, we ask for your response by March 17.

In the event that you do not respond to this request by that date, we will assume that you stand with Governor Walker and against the teachers, nurses, police officers, fire fighters, and other dedicated public employees who serve our communities.

In the event that you cannot support this effort to save collective bargaining, please be advised that the undersigned will publicly and formally boycott the goods and services provided by your company. However, if you join us, we will do everything in our power to publicly celebrate your partnership in the fight to preserve the right of public employees to be heard at the bargaining table.

Wisconsin’s public employee unions serve to protect and promote equality and fairness in the workplace. We hope you will stand with us and publicly share that ideal.

In the event you would like to discuss this matter further, please contact the executive Director of the Wisconsin Professional Police Association, Jim Palmer, at 608.273.3840.

Thank you in advance for your consideration. We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Jim Conway, President
Madison Teachers, Inc.
Dan Frei, President

Very familiar

The times may change, but the tune remains the same.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 12:28:56 PM EDT
[#10]
We have many many members who Feel the same.

It really is a shame it has come to this.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 12:33:30 PM EDT
[#11]
How long before these government workers start boycotting service to non union?
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 12:38:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Eff the unions.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 12:49:48 PM EDT
[#13]
I can't say anything that would be COC compliant.  
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 12:51:28 PM EDT
[#14]
[Pretend that there's a conduct code - Paul. Posting comments or links in support of illegal activities including, but not limited to, threats against the life of any person .... ]
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 12:54:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Sounds like they are building a list for conservatives to boycott, you know, people who work and have money...
Any company that folds and "joins in solidarity" needs to be boycotted, and they need to be told it before it happens.
I really wish I was in WI (my birthplace), I would go out of my way to spend money at any business that tells the unions to go pound sand.

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 12:58:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Thugs.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 1:04:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Gun, buy it, stay at business for a few nights.  Anything happens, shoot em, pull em inside and say they were trying to rob you.

Boycotts are the work of thugs so you advocate murder?

CoC?
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 1:51:46 PM EDT
[#18]
They need to all line up for a lick on the possum dick.......every one of those shiftless union cockbags make more than most people that work two jobs.......I have never bought union when I got a non union option
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 1:53:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Fascism, plain and simple.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 2:00:42 PM EDT
[#20]
I am a member of one of those unions. This is completely ridiculous. I am here to serve my community regardless of politics, race, age, sex, etc. While I know the union's statements are private, off-duty, not the official police position, etc - the public doesn't always see it that way. They see police union, and they think of rank and file police officers - the ones who respond to their homes during emergencies, their businesses, stop them for speeding, etc. I think it is going to give people the fear that the police will not help them because of their political beliefs. It's one thing to be politically active, but I think the union is getting in over their head.

I will tell you, there are a lot of officers who were not happy about the budget repair bill, but I do not believe the majority of officers I know are going to start boycotting businesses who supported Walker. I think the union is forgetting that a large number of their members voted for, and even donated money to Walker during the election.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 2:00:58 PM EDT
[#21]
So they're going to "Zumbo" the governor?
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 2:09:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Just here for my usual response...

Fuck unions
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 2:12:40 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Gun, buy it, stay at business for a few nights.  Anything happens, shoot em, pull em inside and say they were trying to rob you.

That is

• Retarded

• Criminal

Other than that, great idea.

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 2:19:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Umm, no. Forensics would determine you did this. And if you did, you would be under the microscope. If you must defend yourself, you do it legally. No vigilante bs. If there is a need to defend yourself you do. You don't manufacture a reason after the fact - that's called murder.

Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 6:27:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Bump for those who may not have seen this yet.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 6:33:39 AM EDT
[#26]
Cue the Vercotti brothers.

"You've got a nice Army base here, Colonel. Wouldn't want anything to happen to it, now. How many tanks you got here, Colonel? Pity if any of them should break. Things burn, Colonel."
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 6:34:40 AM EDT
[#27]
And they wonder why the majority of Americans are turning against them
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 6:35:27 AM EDT
[#28]
Extortion is illegal.

B_S
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 6:41:51 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I am a member of one of those unions. This is completely ridiculous. I am here to serve my community regardless of politics, race, age, sex, etc. While I know the union's statements are private, off-duty, not the official police position, etc - the public doesn't always see it that way. They see police union, and they think of rank and file police officers - the ones who respond to their homes during emergencies, their businesses, stop them for speeding, etc. I think it is going to give people the fear that the police will not help them because of their political beliefs. It's one thing to be politically active, but I think the union is getting in over their head.

I will tell you, there are a lot of officers who were not happy about the budget repair bill, but I do not believe the majority of officers I know are going to start boycotting businesses who supported Walker. I think the union is forgetting that a large number of their members voted for, and even donated money to Walker during the election.

If you pay dues to the union listed at the bottom of the letter then you might as well have signed it yourself.  You're paying them to speak out for you.

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 6:46:59 AM EDT
[#30]
that is seriously fucked up.

i can just see a cop at the donut shop check his PDA list of supporting businesses when the call comes in that Joe's Store needs assistance for robbery in progress..."fuck him, he stood with Walker, he can wait".
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 6:51:50 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Extortion is illegal.

B_S

Its only illegal if the Police Chiefs dont support it.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 6:54:16 AM EDT
[#32]
Unions are like gangs.

"You should have every right to join"

But, you have no right to leave or oppose them.

Liberalism at its finest.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:19:07 AM EDT
[#33]
Some of you clowns are nothing more than twofaced blowhards!

You'll drone on about how Free Market Capitalism allows one to purchase goods and services from whomever offers them and not do business with whomever you don't want to, yet when these concepts are applied by those whom you disagree with then they're criminal, thugs, Nazis and Commies???
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:20:54 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you pay dues to the union listed at the bottom of the letter then you might as well have signed it yourself.  You're paying them to speak out for you.

????

How can anything the "public" union does be considered private?
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:21:01 AM EDT
[#35]
At the very least, the heads of the Police officer's unions should fry for it.  At least fired, some jail time.

It is one thing for a private organization to boycott, it is quite another for government employees to boycott businesses whose tax dollars PAY THEIR FUCKING BILLS.  They have no choice but to continue paying taxes.  It would be beautiful if they could legally boycott their tax payments.  

On top of that, the police organizations are forgetting they are sworn to protect and serve.  
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:22:28 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Isn't this a form of extortion?

Sound like I'll have to run up there and buy some cheese and beer, from non union shops if I can find any.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:46:50 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

It is time for you to leave your Union.  If that means quit your job and find law enforcement work in a right to work state - so be it.  There is coming a time that your union will ask you to choose between your community/country and the union.  I am of the belief that many of your fellow union members will choose the union.  I hope when the screws are turned that you choose your community/country.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:48:40 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

You'll drone on about how Free Market Capitalism allows one to purchase goods and services from whomever offers them and not do business with whomever you don't want to, yet when these concepts are applied by those whom you disagree with then they're criminal, thugs, Nazis and Commies???

You fail at moral clarity.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:50:26 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Depends.

If this is about a simple business boycott by union members then it is fair game.

If it is about withholding police/fire/etc services then it is extortion.

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:51:36 AM EDT
[#40]

foxnews said this morning that the demonstration there today had more people than any in modern history.

guess i need to turn the channel....they're all in the fucking tank imho.

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:53:03 AM EDT
[#41]
Whatever good a union might do, shit like this should SCARE people. This is how they think things are supposed to work in the US.

The next 10 years might get very ugly with thug shit like this going on.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:53:24 AM EDT
[#42]
The entitled, selfish fuckstick class is seeing an end to their cash cow, and they'll be pulling out all the stops, and if these Governors hold firm, this will hopefully mean the end of big unions.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:56:25 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I'm sorry but your union might technically be off duty, but its not. Its involved in your day to day job, and they invlove all of the rank and file guys.  It might not be the police managment saying these things, but its a controlling arm of the police saying it.

If its off duty, then what happens if you have a complaint. You probably get a union rep and go talk to managment, which shows its not off duty.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:59:04 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
UNIONS THREATEN BUSINESS
By Charlie Sykes

March 10, 2011
Mr. Tom Ellis, President
770 N. Water Street
Milwaukee, WI 53202

Dear Mr. Ellis:

Jim Conway, President
Madison Teachers, Inc.
Dan Frei, President

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:00:16 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

UNIONS THREATEN BUSINESS

By Charlie Sykes

March 10, 2011

Mr. Tom Ellis, President

770 N. Water Street

Milwaukee, WI 53202

Dear Mr. Ellis:

As you undoubtedly know, Governor Walker recently proposed a "budget adjustment bill” to eviscerate public employees’ right to collectively bargain in Wisconsin. ..

Jim Conway, President

Madison Teachers, Inc.

Dan Frei, President

Nice of them to identify themselves as such.

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:46:11 AM EDT
[#46]
Here comes Kristallnacht......
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 9:05:24 AM EDT
[#47]
These people have some serious issues. Fascist pigs.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 9:26:51 AM EDT
[#48]
It won't stop until they threaten someone with nothing to lose who will not entertain their threats.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 9:31:28 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Whatever good a union might do, shit like this should SCARE people. This is how they think things are supposed to work in the US.

The next 10 years might get very ugly with thug shit like this going on.

This shit has been going on far longer than you imagine.  It is going on with the kosher tax racket, Al sharpton threatening boycotts for not paying him and his criminal org, hell even Jesse Jackson does it in conjunction with Al for the whole lot of gibs me.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 9:35:26 AM EDT
[#50]
Am I missing something?  They are saying they want the support of the business to shoot down Gov Walker.  If they don't get it they will not patronize the business.  Big fucking whoop.  

Now I may be reading this wrong, but I do not see them saying you will not get firefighters or police at your business if you do not support us.  They are just saying they will not spend money.  

I boycott places I do not wish to support with my money as well.  I see no problem with this.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top