Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/21/2001 2:22:36 AM EDT
There is a shoot that Bowman goes to where they recreate the JFK shooting scenario, by dragging a target at the right speed, using the same POS rifle, etc.  In the book, nobody had been able to recreate Oswald's supposed feat.

Is there a real-life shoot where this actually happens?  John Ross's knowledge appears to be so extensive that I don't know where to draw the line on fact and fiction in that book.

- Anarki
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 2:41:08 AM EDT
[#1]
I believe this occurred in book at something like Knob Creek shootout, according to Mr Ross most of the book prior to the War part is loosely base on his life and is for the most part as factual as he could make it. I believe this demonstration actually happened. I sold or gave away almost 4 cases of his book and spoke w/ him on several occasions, mostly concerning the Miller vs USA case and found (in local law library) his description of this case to be as he described. There were numerous other things (most personal experiences) which according to him did happen so I believe it is safe to assume that the incident did occur. Don't forget that he was requested to alter later printings to cover the identity of one of his friends which became known thru disclosures in original printings.
Hope this helps.

Mike
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 4:01:22 AM EDT
[#2]
I certainly hope that most of the historical events that were recounted in UC were reliable.

The one I had any question about concerned the FBI's 'Miami Shootout' in 1986.

In UC, IIRC, it was said that two of the FBI agents, the ones who possessed the MP5s, were not present for the critical takedown of the two perps because they were back at some restaurant debauching with a waitress.

Does anyone know if [u]that[/u] is true?

Eric The(Sympathetic)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 4:07:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Mr Eric,
While I have know idea if or what the missing 2 agents were up to according to a local FBI friend of my father there were 2 agents on the team whom were not in attendance during the shootout. They did per his account get in some hot water as they were the only guys toting HK MP5s.
That's all I know other than Ross's account of the shootout followed pretty much other sources available at the time.

Mike
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 4:10:29 AM EDT
[#4]
The recreation shootout occurs at a Second Chance body armor/bowling pin shoot, IIRC.  The same one where Henry tears the competition to pieces with the BAR.  Now, the question is, did someone really do the BAR thing?

Kharn
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 4:18:04 AM EDT
[#5]
And what about Adolf Topperwein shooting the metal squares out of the air with the BAR?

I suppose if anyone could do that, it would be Topperwein! But did he? [>]:)]
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 4:27:53 AM EDT
[#6]
That was one of the questions I did ask of Mr. Ross and yes Ad Topperwein did do that demonstration according to the author.

Mike

Edited to ad that Ad had been given the BAR beforehand in order to get in some practice ...
like he need any.
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 5:34:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
And what about Adolf Topperwein shooting the metal squares out of the air with the BAR?
View Quote

That was an incredible story.

What about the story where Henry is a boy in the woods and comes across a girl who has been kidnapped and is being raped and tortured?  It ends with him feeding some of the bad 'uns to the pigs.  I don't know how true that is, but I could see it happening.  I know that if I was he in that situation, I would have no remorse whatsoever.
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 5:39:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Post from ckapsl -
What about the story where Henry is a boy in the woods and comes across a girl who has been kidnapped and is being raped and tortured? It ends with him feeding some of the bad 'uns to the pigs. I don't know how true that is, but I could see it happening. I know that if I was he in that situation, I would have no remorse whatsoever.
View Quote

I'd have even less remorse for that than I would for killing Osama at his prayers.

Eric The(AndThat'sNone!)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 5:54:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
What about the story where Henry is a boy in the woods and comes across a girl who has been kidnapped and is being raped and tortured?  It ends with him feeding some of the bad 'uns to the pigs.  I don't know how true that is, but I could see it happening.  I know that if I was he in that situation, I would have no remorse whatsoever.
View Quote

I think anything with Henry in it is fictional.

Some of the other stuff in there given for background (behavior of fed-agents and such) I had a hard time believing, I had verified everything I had doubts about to be true, and has helped to make me the cynical anti-government libertarian person I am today.

I did notice while I was reading the The Typhoon/Syclone having a Grand National Engine though, any car-guy can tell you that ain't right.

Secondary Missiles.
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 6:07:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I certainly hope that most of the historical events that were recounted in UC were reliable.

The one I had any question about concerned the FBI's 'Miami Shootout' in 1986.

In UC, IIRC, it was said that two of the FBI agents, the ones who possessed the MP5s, were not present for the critical takedown of the two perps because they were back at some restaurant debauching with a waitress.

Does anyone know if [u]that[/u] is true?

Eric The(Sympathetic)Hun[>]:)]
View Quote
I have read (but cannot put my fingers on the reference) that the "debauching with a waitress" part of the story was embellishment.  Did it happen?  I don't know, but it isn't alleged (officially) anywhere.  Perhaps Mr. Ross has contacts that know the inside story (and he hasn't, to my knowledge, been sued for libel), but I'd take that part of the recount as apocryphal.  The rest of it was bad enough.
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 6:10:28 AM EDT
[#11]
re: I think anything in it with henry is fictional.

I sure hope so. He'd be a fool to write a fictional account detailing his posession of illegal machine guns, destructive devices, and what would almost certainly be investigated, and probably prosecuted as a murder, even if he did kill them to prevent the death of someone they were trying to kill.

The fact that it was covered up might mean that any decent prosecutor would now be able to get a murder or manslaughter conviction, even if everything in the story were absolutely true as presented.
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 7:56:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Sanch...my recollection of Typhoon/Syclone is they DO have the high-pressure Buick turbo V-6.  And they are 4WD and FAST.

Edited to add the engine is not just the Grand National but the higher-powered GNX version.
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 8:13:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Sanch...my recollection of Typhoon/Syclone is they DO have the high-pressure Buick turbo V-6.  And they are 4WD and FAST.

Edited to add the engine is not just the Grand National but the higher-powered GNX version.
View Quote

The ones I've seen were a turbocharged chevy 4.3, searching on the internet now I'm finding a bunch of typhoon / syclone sites but none of them say anything about it, just kids sending in pictures of all their stupid fake *bling bling* accessories. I'll find something though.

Fastest V6 I've ever been in was a 20th Anniv. T/A that had the Buick GN motor. Man that thing would haul ass! Dumb little cheerleader girl that owned it though, and she had it repainted red! just ruined it like drilling a Swede 6.5 for a scope.
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 8:13:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 8:26:03 AM EDT
[#15]
here we go, these sites say the buick 3.8 was used in prototype models but 4.3turbo was production. sites aren't responding though linked to ggogle cache I hope it works.

[url]http://www.google.com/search?q=cache:DXQZG5cnNaU:jimmyz.tzo.com:8080/about_ty.html+typhoon+%2B%223.8%22+%2Bbuick&hl=en[/url]

[url]http://formen.ign.com/news/16646.html[/url]

[url]http://www.google.com/search?q=cache:dMK_2yCiuwM:www.syty.org/old/history.html+typhoon+%2B%223.8%22+%2Bbuick&hl=en[/url]

from first link:
Common SyTy Myths

In the short time I've owned my truck, I've been amazed at the well intentioned but misinformed people out there. Lots of folks complement me on the truck, and claim to know all about them. Not many people really do. Below are the most common misconceptions.

The Typhoon has the same engine as the Grand National
No, the Typhoon has a 4.3 Liter Vortec, turbocharged engine. The Buick Grand National has a 3.8 Liter turbocharged engine. Their fuel delivery and ignition systems are completely different as are the engine internals.

Well, then the Typhoon has the same engine as the awesome GNX, the super Grand National made only in 1987.
Nope. The GNX (this is actually a common GNX myth) has the same 3.8 Liter turbo as the Grand National with some modifications to the turbo and cam profile, among other things.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/21/2001 4:32:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 4:47:53 PM EDT
[#17]
60 Minutes set-up the JFK shooting and one guy did get the correct number of shots on target in the correct amount of time.  I saw the segment just after the JFK movie came out.
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 5:54:25 PM EDT
[#18]
I saw the 60 minutes report too, although they didn't say how the rifle was sighted in and they used top notch snipers for the test. They also did not say how many practice runs the snipers were allowed for the test. Lee Harvey had one run and did not have a six story tower and a mock up of the plaza to zero his rifle to. Any minute of angle adjustments had to be best guess on the spot. I have data for the 6.5 Carcano in my Hornady Reloaders manual. The arc is substantial for that slow moving 162 grain 6.5mm. And again, LHO was not a sniper grade shooter. His USMC qualification scores rated him as barely adequate. I remeber reading that he almost failed qualification. If he had missed just a couple more shots he would have had to retake entire the rifle training course again to requalify. His targets and rifleman ratings were not destroyed and are on permanent record.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top