Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/26/2001 6:52:20 AM EDT
I realize this has probably already been discussed here before, but who has read [b]Unintended Consequences[/b] here? I'm on page 590. :)
Link Posted: 3/26/2001 9:21:10 AM EDT
[#1]
I have. When I finished my copy, I loaned it to a friend who also read it. When I got it back, I gave it to my mom, who's also reading it and getting pretty riled up.
I also got 2 other people copies of it last Christmas.
A VERY good read...
Link Posted: 3/26/2001 9:39:29 AM EDT
[#2]
I will go get a copy soon.
Link Posted: 3/26/2001 9:55:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/26/2001 10:09:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Still reading it.

Let my wife read a few chapters and now she wants to read.  I have high hopes for her yet.[:)]
Link Posted: 3/26/2001 10:10:14 AM EDT
[#5]
I read it,,,it is not Steven King but a pretty good read with a pro-gun diatribe built into it.  Easy to see why the ATF hates the guy, he dogs the crap out of them.  Sadly , they deserve it.
Link Posted: 3/26/2001 10:25:14 AM EDT
[#6]
I read it UC and Patriots 2 time each.
Link Posted: 3/26/2001 10:29:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Just got it in the mail.  Started it last night but only got 2 pages into it before I fell asleep.
Link Posted: 3/26/2001 2:38:22 PM EDT
[#8]
I've done it.  Excellent read.  The book is full with troubling facts.

"Hammer Time!"...  Nothing like a 20mm hammer.
Link Posted: 3/26/2001 3:52:26 PM EDT
[#9]
I bought the book about 3 years ago at the Mesquite (TX) Gun Show, read it twice (!), and then bought another copy as a 'loaner' for my compadres.

You know John Ross ran unsuccessfully for the US House, as a [b]Democrat[/b] in Missouri.  I believe that was in 1998.

I 'spect he ran as a Democrat for some reason involving local politics. Don't know what.

Eric The Hun
Link Posted: 3/26/2001 4:03:05 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm in the middle of it right now. Starts out a little slow but picks up lots-o-steam later. Can't put it down now.
Link Posted: 3/26/2001 4:50:41 PM EDT
[#11]
I've read it twice, and loaned it out several times. It does start out a little slow, but rapidly builds steam. The early history is neccessary to show you how far our rights have been eroded.

Jarhead out.
Link Posted: 3/26/2001 4:54:38 PM EDT
[#12]
I have read it.

Kharn
Link Posted: 3/26/2001 5:04:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Yep!  Read the whole thing.  Puts it all together for those lacking in the history of "gun-grabbing."

P.S. - Is it time to "feed the hogs" yet?[}:D]
Link Posted: 3/26/2001 5:05:13 PM EDT
[#14]
I did. I need to start on it again.
Link Posted: 3/26/2001 5:21:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Anyone care to join me for a round of trap with a .375 H&H?
Link Posted: 3/26/2001 5:28:04 PM EDT
[#16]
I've read my copy twice and loaned it out to several friends; a must read for modern gun owners.

Solothurn, anyone?
Link Posted: 3/26/2001 6:20:22 PM EDT
[#17]
I have two copies circulating throughout the US currently. The first has made it from Florida to Idaho and it's on the way to Texas. I sent my last copy out on its own about two months ago. Time to purchase another. I re-read it at least once a year.

Mandatory reading for all who 'sit on the front porch' here!
Link Posted: 3/26/2001 6:22:17 PM EDT
[#18]
It's a book that kept me awake til 3am until I finished.  My copy is sitting on the mantle with a few other thoughtfully select books.  Those who know notice.

Arock out.
Link Posted: 3/26/2001 6:23:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Yeap read it. Ross spent a lot of time on the life of Henry Bowmen and how he grew up. Wish my dad had bought me some of those toys but coming from a family of 9 it's hard to spend the extra money. I liked Without Remorse also.
What would Henry Bowmen do in Kalifornia?
[sniper]
Link Posted: 3/26/2001 6:53:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Great Book! About to start a second read, I still can't figure out though, will someone PLEASE tell me who the lady in the trailer was that was offed w/ WB's 92fs????

The one they asked for 'special' assistance covering up the murder scene, it keeps hinting at it but I don't know and it's bugging me!
Link Posted: 3/26/2001 9:17:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Lord, erickm, now I got to read the book a 3rd time to figure out who the lady in the double wide trailer might be, at page 849?  

I figured Ross put it in there for a 'fill in your favorite antigun bitch here'-type scenario
since she asks '...More hearings again?'

Someone whose memory is better than mine, help me out.

Eric The Hun
Link Posted: 3/26/2001 9:28:15 PM EDT
[#22]
That is one of the best books ever!! It will keep you up all  night, and maybe even make you miss work...and...it will piss you off...make you want to own pigs...[0:)] Enjoy it! ch
Link Posted: 3/26/2001 9:37:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Yes it is nearly time to start feeding the hogs.

I read the book last summer.  Should be required reading in high school and it is definetly required reading for anybody who owns firearms.  Go get it now  [url]http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1888118040/qid=985718807/sr=1-2/ref=sc_b_3/107-7320460-4000502[/url]
Link Posted: 3/26/2001 10:20:56 PM EDT
[#24]
why is not on the shelf at Barnes & Nobles? Or any place for that matter?
Link Posted: 3/26/2001 10:24:37 PM EDT
[#25]
To anyone who hasn't read it yet:
[b]This is NOT a Tom Clancy type book, for I have read Tom Clancy. This is not a Richard Marcinko  novel either. This is about a man who has something in common with all of us.[/b]
Link Posted: 3/27/2001 4:56:16 AM EDT
[#26]
Great book. See what the ATF thinks of John Ross. [url]civilliberty.about.com/newsissues/civilliberty/library/briefs/bl071200.htm[/url] That in itself ought to convince you to buy it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2001 5:11:46 AM EDT
[#27]
Read it.  Liked it for the plot and story...but...
(flame retardent outfit firmly in place)
It's long, jumbled, rambling, and sometimes a little boring. Losing about 400 pages would make this a better book.  The story itself is fairly implausible.  Granted, it is POSSIBLE that such a great set of circumstances could happen to allow this particular chaing of events to occur.  However, I would have preferred a little more of a challenging set of circumstances for the hero to have overcome.  The ending events are also on the doubtful side.  Getting people nationwide to start executing feds would be difficult at best...I doubt more than a handful of folks on this board would seriously be able to do it.  Sure, someone is going to reply and disagre...whatever.  When it comes down to actually killing someone, I doubt I could kill someone in what amounts to cold blood.  I believe this an experience I would love to avoid having in my life as well.  
(flame suit off)
The weaponry choices were quite entertaining and I now want to go trap shooting with .22s.  [:)]
Link Posted: 3/27/2001 5:21:03 AM EDT
[#28]
Am I the only one here who thinks this book sucked?

Read it about 3 or 4 years ago when it came out. Bought at a gun show from some Timothy
McVeigh wannabe, that should have been my first clue.  Started out ok, very good
history, but the book rapidly declined.

Come yawn, stunt plains, millionaires, lesbian girlfriends, super charges, MP5s,
what kinda a macho BS is this?  Our hero and his elite class-3 dealer friends
single handily take back our second amendment rights?  What a bunch of crap.

Anybody amused by this garbage must have a weak mind.

Flame away.
Link Posted: 3/27/2001 5:21:23 AM EDT
[#29]
patriot_dave, your link doesn't really surprise me. Disgusts me, but doesn't surprise me. But then again, if BATF ever accomplishes its mission, they will slip seamlessly into the role of "thought police". After you have one Amendment on the mantlepiece, gotta go for another. Guess they're just getting a little practice.

As for Ross' book it's great. The plotline on the fictional part is somewhat clumsy, but the way he blends it with facts makes the book. I hope he keeps writing.
Link Posted: 3/27/2001 5:23:09 AM EDT
[#30]

Glad I'm not the only one who found it lacking.
Link Posted: 3/27/2001 5:25:48 AM EDT
[#31]

Now all I need is David G to come along and correct me.
Link Posted: 3/27/2001 5:26:30 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
But then again, if BATF ever accomplishes its mission, they will slip seamlessly into the role of "thought police". After you have one Amendment on the mantlepiece, gotta go for another. Guess they're just getting a little practice.
View Quote

The 4th has been under assault for years and now the 1st is under attack in the form of this stupid ass campaign finance reform BS.  Once one is attacked without challenge(2nd) the rest will fall as well.  And it is happening before our eyes.
Link Posted: 3/27/2001 6:21:49 AM EDT
[#33]
Come yawn, stunt plains, millionaires, lesbian girlfriends, super charges, MP5s
View Quote

Your right it has everything!!! [:D][:D][:D]

I read it and enjoyed it if for nothing else the way they got rid of Schum-I mean Schaumer.

Kyle
Link Posted: 3/27/2001 6:51:00 AM EDT
[#34]
Read it and mostly enjoyed it.  Hey, it's historical in parts but fiction in the end.  Sort of like reading the Seal Team books.  I think he wrote it to piss the ATF off as well as expose people to the history of gun laws etc.  Who cares how it "really" should end, just as long as we still have our guns.

I for one wouldn't have thought much of an ending where all the politicians came to their senses and realized what fine citizens gun-owners were and decided they were wrong to have ever banned any guns. hahahaha

If you don't like the ending, think of what it really will be like and post it here and see what people think.  I liked the glass breaking ideas.

Link Posted: 3/27/2001 7:12:43 AM EDT
[#35]
i got mine signed by the auther and talked with
him personally about gun bans he told me there
chopping it a little at a time but he think's they will never get a complete gun ban done!
i really think they can and will.
Link Posted: 3/27/2001 7:27:58 AM EDT
[#36]
Read it.  Loved it.  Passed it on to two friends - one really liked it, one thought it was 'good'.  They've both bought their own copies and are passing them around as well.

Frankly, I'm suprised the shooting [i]hasn't[/i] started yet!
Link Posted: 3/27/2001 7:29:39 AM EDT
[#37]
I loved Unintended Consequences.  I realize that it's a little escapist like some have said but come on;  reading is an escape.  If we were confined to stuff that either actually happened or actually *could happen in real life we'd be stuck with biology 101 textbooks.  Most books and movies require a suspension of disbelief.  

The only trouble that I have with the book is his rather extreme sexuality.  Not that I have a problem with it myself but it makes me very careful who I can recommend it to.  If some of that wasn't in there my list of people who I could con into reading it would be much longer.  Other than that, it's awesome and a required read. I've read it three times already.  I would LOVE to see it made into a movie.  (see, another suspension of disbelief.  Like Mack Bolan books being made into movies.  Anyone ever read any Mack Bolan books when they were kids? Loved em.)
Link Posted: 3/27/2001 8:00:53 AM EDT
[#38]
Took me 2 weeks to get through it. I learned quite a bit about the history of our gun laws and the real reasons behind them, but the book could have been just as good about 300 pages shorter. Henry Bowman was no common man like you or I. The thing that got on my nerves was he was an expert/the best at everything he did whether it was his job,flying,shooting,getting hot chicks.etc. It just got tiresome after awhile. But overall a must read for all.
Link Posted: 3/29/2001 2:52:03 AM EDT
[#39]
"If the ATF has moved on from abusing gun owners and dealers to actually targeting writers who criticize the Bureau in print, then matters are getting worse, not better. Such overstepping is bound, eventually, to turn Unintended Consequences from fiction into reality."

"Anybody amused by this garbage must have a weak mind."

Mr. Righteous Kill

Apparently the government doesn't share your low opinion of this book

Link Posted: 3/29/2001 5:49:03 AM EDT
[#40]
I read it while on vacation in Belize in 1999.  Great place to read and think.  I agree that some parts were long but the message and facts in this book has changed my outlook about our stalinist governmental agencies.  I was one of the sheeple until I read this book.  

TTFTH
Link Posted: 3/29/2001 8:02:58 AM EDT
[#41]
I liked the history and such.

The overall experience of the book was good...but a lot of the details were unbelievable and convenient.

A better book to distribute, IMHO, would be Vin Suprynowicz "Send in the Waco killers"...I've used this book to open more than a few minds.

peace!
Link Posted: 3/29/2001 8:58:03 AM EDT
[#42]
I have read the book and enjoyed it.  I learned a few things and the author makes you believe that this unlikely chain of events could happen.  

Now wrt the ATF going after Mr Ross.  It is possible and I don't put it past them, but it is also possible that Mr. Ross is trying to increase his book sales.  

I don't know which one is true, but there is definitely financial motivation for Mr. Ross to claim that he is being targeted by the ATF.
Link Posted: 3/29/2001 9:10:19 AM EDT
[#43]
To all of those who have said that the book was to implausible, can you name a governement usurption scenario that is plausible? The most realistic method would be to not organize, but to act individually working from hit orders put out on the Internet, and there would be a few people who would go a long with it after some one got the ball rolling. I think the book was a realistic as one could expect from a book about over throwing the government. Just my 2 cents.

Kyle
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top