Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Posted: 10/6/2004 12:22:35 PM EST
I just applied and wanted to get some feedback. Please IM me if you are one and don't want everyone to know by posting it on here. Looking for what the day to day is and how long the hiring process takes, advancement opportunity, tactical units, work schedule, living conditions in DC... stuff like that. Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 3:58:50 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/7/2004 4:03:27 PM EST by OKLA-LAWMAN]
i used to work with a bunch of them when I worked in D.C., Mostly it is boring work setting in front of one of the embassies or in a guard shack. Most of the Specialty units are Special Agent positions. They can enforce traffic laws as the District is a federal enclave. Mostly it is guard duty. It is a good job to get your foot in the door and to get education as there are many fine universities in the area.
It is expensive to live there, so plan on a commute. The district is either slums or million dollar homes. Rental props in the area are a premium as there are som many military. I would not trade the time I had in D.C. but I would not want to raise my family there. If you do get the job look toward
woodbridegs Va., and Waldorf Md. both are good areas not to expensive in the sceme of things. When I was there in the 80's the uniform division had to turn in their weapons at the end of shift. Shotguns were issued but had to be carried in the trunk.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 11:08:04 AM EST
WOW another one of the seriously misinformed.

Originally Posted By OKLA-LAWMAN:
... Most of the Specialty units are Special Agent positions...

Name one other than CAT.

oh, 'turn in guns' right
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 1:53:31 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/10/2004 1:54:47 PM EST by BigJ491]

Originally Posted By Maverick656:
I just applied and wanted to get some feedback. Please IM me if you are one and don't want everyone to know by posting it on here. Looking for what the day to day is and how long the hiring process takes, advancement opportunity, tactical units, work schedule, living conditions in DC... stuff like that. Thanks.

I know a few of them. Lot of "Box" work and stuff like that. You'll work various posts at your assigned locations. There's a fair amount of travel involved for those who don't strongly object to it, so you'll get a chance to see the country for free! They have patrol vehicles, bike units, a tactical team, K9, etc...

Hiring process can take anywhere from 6 Months to over a year depending on a multitude of factors. They're strapped for people right now, so you're chances of getting hired are good if your squared away.

Advancement opportunity is good, but you've got to put your time in before you can drop paper for other things. I think it's somewhere around 3 years before you can get other stuff.

Living conditions in DC aren't bad, but you'll pay almost double of what you would in most places in the US. Nobody really lives in DC. Many live in Maryland or Virginia, and there's pros and cons to both.

Probably one of the biggest pluses for working for them is name recognition. It pads your resume like no other.

They also have their standard problems that any LE job will have, and the fun factor will wear off after a while. The grass will start to seem greener across the mall, and they've lost a lot of guys Post 9/11 to other agencies.

Check out www.911jobforums.com in the federal questions section. There's a lot of guyst that post and talk about stuff like that and can answer you questions.

Not to give you career advice, but there are some other Fed LE jobs in DC that are pretty good. US Capitol Police, DOD Police, FBI Police, etc... All of them seem like they need people pretty bad, so your chances should be good no matter where you apply. I hope you like filling out paper work, cause their applications are fairly lenthy.

Good Luck!

oh, 'turn in guns' right

Yes, federal police officers can't be trusted to carry off duty. It's for the children...
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 8:50:13 PM EST

Originally Posted By darknight:

Name one other than CAT.

oh, 'turn in guns' right

He is posting and saying it was from the 80s, whats your beef?

Maverick656- If you are interested in police work, why not become a cop instead?
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:55:43 AM EST
I know for a fact that there are federal police departments that only allow their officers to carry on-duty and have them keep their guns in the site weapons locker. There are different levels of LEO's in the federal system. Not all of them have the same mojo as the FBI Special Agents, Air Marshals, etc...

Name one other than CAT.

oh, 'turn in guns' right

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:57:03 AM EST

Originally Posted By Stickman:

Maverick656- If you are interested in police work, why not become a cop instead?

I am now. I am just wanted to make the switch from little municipal po-po to the feds. I got some aps in at several agencies I just didn't know much about this uniformed division job. Thanks for all the comments though guys..... even you Okla Lawman.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:28:29 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/14/2004 7:34:33 AM EST by RAMBOSKY]
I was with the Metro Police during most of the 70's. Got out and moved to NC. I didn't want to raise a family there then nor would I now.

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:09:06 AM EST
It depends on what you're looking for in a LEO job. Folks think the grass is always greener on the other side. The problems you find in the small municipal department exist in the high profile federal one. I worked for the Uniformed Division at the State Department...it is a contract guard force, not federal police, but I made more money than the USSS Uniformed Division a couple of streets over for doing the exact same job. You'll check peoples badges (they'll hate you for it,) sit in blocker vehicles, operate mechanical barriers, you'll fight DC traffic, work many hours, shifts will change seemingly at random... Before you do it, try and find a guy standing post out on 17th street and talk to him for a while. I had some of those guys tell me to run in the other direction...YMMV What do you want from the job? It is a great way to get your foot in the federal door...once you get hired you'll find that many, or most of your comrads have active applications for other FLEO jobs. Working with State's UD gave me experience, a top secret clearance and paved the way to an 1811 job. The Service UD may be exactly what you're looking for (if you're looking for a stepping stone,) but if you're doing it because you think it might be better than being a local cop...pick a nice cold rainy January day and look at how happy that UD officer is standing his 12 hour post outside.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 12:04:53 PM EST
I want to be a 1811 and on a tactical team. That's it. Honestly I don't even care about the 1811 position that much. I just want to make better money than I do now and be on a tactical team.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 4:51:46 PM EST

I want to be a 1811 and on a tactical team. That's it. Honestly I don't even care about the 1811 position that much. I just want to make better money than I do now and be on a tactical team.

You don't need to be 1811 to be on most tac teams. Most uniformed federal jobs have tac teams that are made up of officers who have been on the job for a few years. Such as, Secret Service, US Capitol Police, etc....
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 7:48:37 AM EST

I am now. I am just wanted to make the switch from little municipal po-po to the feds. I got some aps in at several agencies I just didn't know much about this uniformed division job. Thanks for all the comments though guys..... even you Okla Lawman.

I can't imagine why you'd wanna be boxed up....

May I suggest the USBP? GREAT PAY, GOOD INSURANCE, WIDE OPEN SPACES and Fed LEO status.......
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 10:53:15 AM EST
What other specialty besides k9 do the uniforms have? When I was there EVERYTHING was special agent from the tour guides to cat (counter assault team). Most of the ones sit (sleep) out in front of some embasy. The cars have tattle tales on them that tell how fast they are going, speed, amount of time idling..so forth. They can make traffic stops as the District is a federal enclave...but that is not encouraged as that is not their job. There are 58 Federal uniformed police agencies in the district. oops 57 now since the library of congress police combined with the Supreme Court police. Most are
very small security jobs. Many dont have cars. The Gov't Printing office police for example patrol a one square block building. Yes they are a federal job but not necessarily the best track to 1811. When I was there, uniformed divsion was considered a dead end. I thought about going that route myself. I was ADVISED against it by an aquatince who happened to be the Deputy Assistant Director of the USSS. Personally I would get my college and go for 1811. they love prior police experience. Look at some of the back doors to get to FLETC. Any thing as long as it has 1811 in it will get your ticket then transfer to another agency. It is a lot easier to get highered as an investigator for health and human services than it is the Marshalls, I hear the academy is a lil easier to. Short of that of you want to do nothing but tac. look at some of the private security that works for Nuclear sites or even NASA. You might try moving to a bigger city. OKC, Tulsa or Tulsa CO all have active sot teams. Tulsa co is probably the most active team in the state it is amazing the number of call outs they get. godspped
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 3:23:19 PM EST
Hey AZ.... I looked into the BP but the wife shot that down. I don't want to be boxed up either. I'm just looking for something a little different but that is still law enforcement. The PD I work for now sucks but we get paid good. I would switch to another local municipal agency to get on a tac team but there is only a few that make as much money as we do and some of them I wouldn't work for no matter how good they pay. I was just looking for some opinions. I wish I could be just a full time firearms instructor but that is all of our dream jobs, right?

Link Posted: 10/17/2004 1:44:03 AM EST

What other specialty besides k9 do the uniforms have? When I was there EVERYTHING was special agent from the tour guides to cat (counter assault team). Most of the ones sit (sleep) out in front of some embasy. The cars have tattle tales on them that tell how fast they are going, speed, amount of time idling..so forth. They can make traffic stops as the District is a federal enclave...but that is not encouraged as that is not their job. There are 58 Federal uniformed police agencies in the district. oops 57 now since the library of congress police combined with the Supreme Court police. Most are
very small security jobs. Many dont have cars. The Gov't Printing office police for example patrol a one square block building. Yes they are a federal job but not necessarily the best track to 1811. When I was there, uniformed divsion was considered a dead end. I thought about going that route myself. I was ADVISED against it by an aquatince who happened to be the Deputy Assistant Director of the USSS. Personally I would get my college and go for 1811. they love prior police experience. Look at some of the back doors to get to FLETC. Any thing as long as it has 1811 in it will get your ticket then transfer to another agency. It is a lot easier to get highered as an investigator for health and human services than it is the Marshalls, I hear the academy is a lil easier to. Short of that of you want to do nothing but tac. look at some of the private security that works for Nuclear sites or even NASA. You might try moving to a bigger city. OKC, Tulsa or Tulsa CO all have active sot teams. Tulsa co is probably the most active team in the state it is amazing the number of call outs they get. godspped

Not trying to flame you, but I would forget everything you used to know about the USSS UD. Most/if not all of what you've said about them is false. They have a much larger role and function than you might have seen back in the 80's. I would not want to see Maverick decide against the job because of some very bad and expired information he got from people here.

Maverick, the UD is a good job. It's not all "box" work, but that is part of it. You'll have a lot of opportunity to travel, and a lot of opportunity to obtain other assingments: Bike, K9, ERT, FI, Tours, foreign missions, ect....

It's not your typical police job. You will not be kicking down doors or busting crackheads. They have a specific mission. I'd say at least look into it. You'll take a test at your local field office, and they'll do an initial interview, where they'll answer all of you questions.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 1:47:55 AM EST

Name one other than CAT.

oh, 'turn in guns' right

He is posting and saying it was from the 80s, whats your beef?

Because I disagree.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 2:00:12 AM EST

Originally Posted By Quien:
It depends on what you're looking for in a LEO job. Folks think the grass is always greener on the other side. The problems you find in the small municipal department exist in the high profile federal one. I worked for the Uniformed Division at the State Department...it is a contract guard force, not federal police, but I made more money than the USSS Uniformed Division a couple of streets over for doing the exact same job. You'll check peoples badges (they'll hate you for it,) sit in blocker vehicles, operate mechanical barriers, you'll fight DC traffic, work many hours, shifts will change seemingly at random... Before you do it, try and find a guy standing post out on 17th street and talk to him for a while. I had some of those guys tell me to run in the other direction...YMMV What do you want from the job? It is a great way to get your foot in the federal door...once you get hired you'll find that many, or most of your comrads have active applications for other FLEO jobs. Working with State's UD gave me experience, a top secret clearance and paved the way to an 1811 job. The Service UD may be exactly what you're looking for (if you're looking for a stepping stone,) but if you're doing it because you think it might be better than being a local cop...pick a nice cold rainy January day and look at how happy that UD officer is standing his 12 hour post outside.

very well put

What other specialty besides k9 do the uniforms have? When I was there EVERYTHING was special agent from the tour guides to cat (counter assault team). Most of the ones sit (sleep) out in front of some embasy.
Countersniper, Canine Explosive Detection Team, Emergency Response Team, Crime Scene Search Technicians, Special Operations Section (tours), Magnetometers, Motorcade Support Unit, Firearms Instructor..... These are all UD positions and have ALWAYS been. Again you were/are misinformed. CAT is the only 1811 specialty team. And most are not in front of some embassy. Anyone that goes though DC would see they are in the WH area.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 5:04:44 AM EST
I mentioned k9. The Tour guides used to be special agents. I forgot the motor guys. I think you aew awful defensive. They are still mostly security.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 7:00:00 AM EST

I mentioned k9. The Tour guides used to be special agents. I forgot the motor guys. I think you aew awful defensive. They are still mostly security.

Yes you did mention K9, in conjunction with what you described as "EVERYTHING" else. So I'm defensive, I happen to know what I'm talking about and just didn't like seeing someone fill the forum with misinformation, in this instance. And yes, the job is more security/protection than typical police work. And again the tour people have always been UD they typically wear a blazer rather than the UD uniform but they're UD. When you were in DC they were UD too.
Top Top