Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/20/2010 1:35:11 PM EDT
Or higher for non-Illegals...  What do you think?
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 1:35:32 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Or higher... What do you think?

huh?
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 1:36:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Or higher... What do you think?

huh?

Ayup, I'm lost.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 1:37:19 PM EDT
[#3]
I gotta figure out how 40% of the population is living without having to work or pay taxes, because if that's going on then I'm on the wrong side of this equation.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 1:39:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 1:40:27 PM EDT
[#5]
My calculations had it at between 89-93% unemployment!

Edit:
Oh wait! that is the model I used for the 2011 fiscal year, after Demofucks retain control of Congress!  
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 1:46:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I gotta figure out how 40% of the population is living without having to work or pay taxes, because if that's going on then I'm on the wrong side of this equation.

Yeah it seems illogical but I'm beginning to suspect that 90% of "Jobs" posted as "available" are just planted pieces to make the economy look like it's not Kaput.

The local Video store cashiers used to be all high school grads, now they're all 50+ year old guys who look like they should be close to retirement.  Scary...
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 1:47:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Also I followed USAJobs.gov for months and they kept recycling positions that should have EASILY been filled...  I'm beginning to suspect we're totally F––-ed unless a new FDR type WPA program is announced.

And yes, I will dig ditches for $10hr, as long as the position is local
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 1:52:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Also I followed USAJobs.gov for months and they kept recycling positions that should have EASILY been filled...  I'm beginning to suspect we're totally F––-ed unless a new FDR type WPA program is announced.

And for that, three people will lose $12/hr jobs because of the increased taxes needed to pay for your job (and the dozen bureaucrats needed to administrate it).

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 1:53:48 PM EDT
[#9]
87%
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 1:54:48 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Compltely nuts.

Once you exclude the unemployable, right around 10% is accurate.

I am guessing the OP is unemployed.

From the perspective of somoene who changed jobs (govt to private sector) during the worst of 'this', folks claiming the unemployment numbers are too low sound just strange to me...

But then again, I'm employed.

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 1:55:29 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I thought it was closer to 49%.

That's how many play the deduction game to get a full refund (or more)....

No relation to unemployment or not working...

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 1:55:38 PM EDT
[#12]
It is actually in the 20% neighborhood. The government changed the way they determine the number of unemployed. Aside from the government class employees about half the people I know are unemployed or on reduced hours.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 1:56:07 PM EDT
[#13]
By my calculations, we are now approaching 137% unemployment.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 1:56:14 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm far more concerned about what the under employment rate is.  People who are either unemployed or working lower than their skill sets.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 1:58:00 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

It is actually in the 20% neighborhood. The government changed the way they determine the number of unemployed. Aside from the government class employees about half the people I know are unemployed or on reduced hours.

Actually, NO, the government did NOT change the way they count unemployment.

They are using the PROPER economic definition of unemployment, which excludes unemployable workers from the count.

This is because even in a 100% perfect economy, these unemployable people would still be unemployed.

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 1:58:46 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I'm far more concerned about what the under employment rate is.  People who are either unemployed or working lower than their skill sets.

'Underemployment' is a bullshit subjective, touchey-feely number...

Every person who thinks they're 'management material' claims to be underemployed.

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 2:03:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:

'Underemployment' is a bullshit subjective, touchey-feely number...

Every person who thinks they're 'management material' claims to be underemployed.

Cool Story
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 4:04:11 PM EDT
[#18]
What's your def of management material?  I can count the college grads I know with years of experience who couldn't land an entry-level management job if they applied for 10000 of them.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 8:35:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

It's higher than that here in SE Michigan for non-illegals!

I know everyone likes a good laugh on ARFCOM, but until you experience living thru a time where every third house has no wage earner in it (That would be your neighbor on the left, your neighbor on the right, or, it might just be YOU) you can't know how bad things really are with the economy. Stores are closing left and right, house prices are absolutely in the shitter. A buddy of mine got a smoking deal on a house a few years ago in downtown Monroe (between Detroit and Toledo, roughly 1/2 hour either way) for $60k. His neighbors lost their homes so the bank sold them off.... for $9k and $14k.

Detroit proper has over 50% unemployment and the suburbs are well in the 30's. There is no real work if you lose your job-you can't even count on a Macdonald's job because the housewives took all of them two years ago. The state ran out of unemployment money a year and a half ago, so we've been borrowing it from the .fedgov, at interest, since.

I really hope you guys don't have to go thru this before things get 'better'.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 8:37:52 PM EDT
[#20]
The experts say 17-20% unemployment  right now.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 8:41:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Go to WalMart at 2 p.m. on a weekday.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 8:41:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Also I followed USAJobs.gov for months and they kept recycling positions that should have EASILY been filled... I'm beginning to suspect we're totally F––-ed unless a new FDR type WPA program is announced.

FAIL in 3...2...1...

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 8:43:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Weird.   Around here, plenty of folks eating out, buying shtuff, etc.  But I know plenty who are out of work.  My wife's employer is going crazy with work, but other places are closing down.  Strange times.  Keep your powder dry.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 8:43:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Why do you say that?
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 8:52:30 PM EDT
[#25]
87%

Christ people!! this should have been first post!
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 9:01:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Most of my friends here in Seattle are unemployed and on unemployment.  Only one is actually looking for a job.  Also, at work we have a bunch of open jobs with no applicants.  From my experience, unemployment is about 0.5%.  That shows the value of anecdotal evidence.z
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 9:04:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why do you say that?

Because you won't just see retirees there.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 9:08:53 PM EDT
[#28]
It's not nearly high enough.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 9:12:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Also I followed USAJobs.gov for months and they kept recycling positions that should have EASILY been filled... I'm beginning to suspect we're totally F––-ed unless a new FDR type WPA program is announced.

A program like that would certainly fuck us all, like the final nail in the coffin.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 9:15:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Unemployed college graduates don't factor into the unemployment numbers, so if you include the roughly 2 million new graduates every year that can't find jobs....

that 9.5% unemployment number starts to sound really absurd.  Its much higher than what we're being told.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 9:26:15 PM EDT
[#31]
I'm certain that the job opportunities are slipping away for them.  Construction has slowed and so has the disposable capital that people used to have.  The most indicative sign is when illegals return home because if the prospects are bad, why stay?
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 9:51:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
The experts say 17-20% unemployment  right now.

Bullshit,  he said up above it was 10%,  how dare you believe any other "experts ".
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 10:03:55 PM EDT
[#33]
I've been looking for work for a long time now.   The same jobs are being posted week after week.    

There has been one job working at the local fucking "Big Lots" in the furniture department that has been up for over 2 months.   You can't tell me they can't fill that.

There are also a lot of places that are "taking applications" but no positions are available.  

Its a LOT more than the numbers we are being fed by washington.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 11:27:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I've been looking for work for a long time now.   The same jobs are being posted week after week.    

There has been one job working at the local fucking "Big Lots" in the furniture department that has been up for over 2 months.   You can't tell me they can't fill that.

There are also a lot of places that are "taking applications" but no positions are available.  

Its a LOT more than the numbers we are being fed by washington.

Around here there are quite a few ads, but when you show up to interview you find out it's a headhunter/pimps service/contract agency who is just building up their resume bank for when work might eventually come thru.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 11:29:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Real unemployment rate is at 21.5%. It's gonna get higher, the jobs are gone.

http://www.matador94.nl/economy/the-real-unemployment-rate-in-u-s-21-5
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 11:31:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Compltely nuts.

Once you exclude the unemployable, right around 10% is accurate.

I am guessing the OP is unemployed.

From the perspective of somoene who changed jobs (govt to private sector) during the worst of 'this', folks claiming the unemployment numbers are too low sound just strange to me...

But then again, I'm employed.

Aren't you working for the gov't??
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 2:52:18 AM EDT
[#37]
I thought all you guys left.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 2:53:35 AM EDT
[#38]

SS is bullshit.  According to them, when our economy is going full out and employers can't find people to work, SS says 11% of the population can't find a job.

Bullshit.

Link Posted: 7/21/2010 2:54:32 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

87%

10th post gets it.

Link Posted: 7/21/2010 3:02:07 AM EDT
[#40]
I know a bunch of people who are on unemployment...not one of them is activly looking for work.  I am pretty sure that as soon as they run out of bennies they wil find jobs though.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 3:16:14 AM EDT
[#41]
The government number of 9.5% unemployment is BS.  It's probably closer to 20% nationally but in some areas it is much higher.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 4:58:15 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

I know a bunch of people who are on unemployment...not one of them is activly looking for work. I am pretty sure that as soon as they run out of bennies they wil find jobs though.

As you say, they DO NOT want to be part of the workforce right now.  Should they be counted?  At least should they be counted in the U3 number?
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 4:58:55 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

The government number of 9.5% unemployment is BS. It's probably closer to 20% nationally but in some areas it is much higher.

U6?  Yes, it is close to 20% and over 20% in some areas.

This is already common knowledge.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 5:08:12 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

ETA...Oops, missed the 'Non' part

No, they are still employed....somebody has to work.

'Unemployed' US Citizens have NO reason to work, since, their 'Benefits' will never end?

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 1:29:23 AM EDT
[#45]
Some economists have been saying that the government has been purposefully under-counting unemployment for many years now.

http://www.dailyfinance.com/story/careers/what-is-the-real-unemployment-rate/19556146/

"Raghavan Mayur, president at TechnoMetrica Market Intelligence, follows unemployment data closely. So, when his survey for May revealed that 28% of the 1,000-odd households surveyed reported that at least one member was looking for a full-time job, he was flummoxed.

"Our numbers are always very accurate, so I was surprised at the discrepancy with the government's numbers," says Mayur, whose firm owns the TIPP polling unit, a polling partner for Investors' Business Daily and Christian Science Monitor. After all, the headline number shows the U.S. unemployment rate today is 9.5%, with a total of 14.6 million jobless people. ..." (article continues)

I like this part especially:

"... In fact, Austan Goolsbee, who is now part of the White House Council of Economic Advisers, wrote in a 2003 New York Times piece titled "The Unemployment Myth," that the government had "cooked the books" by not correctly counting all the people it should, thereby keeping the unemployment rate artificially low. At the time, Goolsbee was a professor at the University of Chicago. When asked whether Goolsbee still believes the government undercounts unemployment, a White House spokeswoman said Goolsbee wasn't available to comment. ..."

That is one of a three-article series.

When countries collapse economically, it is always done the same way––by the people in charge of it.
They lie about it for as long as they can, then at the last possible moment, they transfer all their wealth out of the country.
And after the smoke clears, they go on TV and then tell everybody that they had no idea it was coming.
~

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 1:48:25 AM EDT
[#46]
Yeah it's probably around 30% realistically.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top