Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/2/2009 7:40:48 PM EDT
And just accepted an offer today to start in a week. I was laid of a month ago and in that time I have had 5 interviews and 3 offers. Two of those offers were from previous employers. A SHTF prep for you: Never burn your bridges and always work out yor 2 week notice. You may never know when you may want to go back.

I am fortunate to have alot of experience and a good past reputation with all of my past employers and I am so grateful my parents taught me how to behave correctly and professionally. Just saved my ass as we just had our 6th child Saturday.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:44:37 PM EDT
[#1]
DAMN!! I've been unemployed for 6 months technically (9 months actually, it's complicated) and have had exactly 1 interview and 0 offers.

I only have 5 months experience since getting out of college though. I don't think I could land an interview if I paid someone to give me one.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:45:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I just got laid off today, dude.  I hope I'm not out of work for much more than 30 days.  This time, my severance is pretty small and my savings is not too great.  I can, however, go back to my previous employer.  I don't want to, but if they have any positions I might be able to do, I would consider it until I found something better.  

Glad to hear you've found another job.  I hope I can land one soon.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:53:32 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

DAMN!! I've been unemployed for 6 months technically (9 months actually, it's complicated) and have had exactly 1 interview and 0 offers.

I only have 5 months experience since getting out of college though. I don't think I could land an interview if I paid someone to give me one.

Close to a year and a half with no outside job here. Thank god for my apartment buildings!

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:56:16 PM EDT
[#4]
to those who can't find work, apply for those jobs that are "beneath" you.  a lot of it does have to do with lucky timing as well.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:59:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
to those who can't find work, apply for those jobs that are "beneath" you.  a lot of it does have to do with lucky timing as well.

I got denied a job at Autozone because I graduated high school and had good grades. I omitted the fact I have a Bachelors degree. When asked what I've been up to I said, "I'm just a student (I am, in grad school)." I was hoping they'd think I'm in CC.

This has happened three times now. Put a gun to my head, please.

Should I just say I've been doing odd-jobs from the last 5 years?
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:01:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

OMFG... have you looked at the stats???  Just for fun... start job hunting and tell us how you do.  You forgot to say...

"The peasants have no bread!  ..well let them eat cake!"
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:05:46 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I have close to ten years experience fixing computers, and I'm a year away from a Chemical Engineering degree.

I couldn't get a night job stocking shelves at the local fucking WalMart.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:08:53 PM EDT
[#8]
take it easy.  I did say a lot of it has to do with timing didn't I?  I have a craptastic work history and a mediocre business degree.  I got an interview at target and was hired to stock shelves.  I'm just saying, don't forget the shit jobs that pay 7.75 an hour.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:18:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I got denied a job at Autozone because I graduated high school and had good grades. I omitted the fact I have a Bachelors degree. When asked what I've been up to I said, "I'm just a student (I am, in grad school)." I was hoping they'd think I'm in CC.

I applied at Autozone a year ago for part time work. 30 plus years in the car business, all the certifications, I could do the job drunk, asleep,eyes closed with a concussion, all at the same time. No luck. I don't know what the qualifications are, but knowing what you are doing ain't one of them. Now, I've been laid off for a month from my day job. I'm really tired of the shit, want to open my own deal.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:18:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
And just accepted an offer today to start in a week. I was laid of a month ago and in that time I have had 5 interviews and 3 offers. Two of those offers were from previous employers. A SHTF prep for you: Never burn your bridges and always work out yor 2 week notice. You may never know when you may want to go back.

I am fortunate to have alot of experience and a good past reputation with all of my past employers and I am so grateful my parents taught me how to behave correctly and professionally. Just saved my ass as we just had our 6th child Saturday.

What are you tring to do rub it in on all a us unemployed in this forum!

So your saying you kiss ass well. So how does the SHIT taste? goooodddd. Tell me I never had a shit eat moment was it an experince. I bet you get on your knee when the man tell you too. Guess what but I'll be in the forest wating.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:22:00 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So your saying you kiss ass well. So how does the SHIT taste? goooodddd. Tell me I never had a shit eat moment was it an experince. I bet you get on your knee when the man tell you too. Guess what but I'll be in the forest wating.

LOLWUT?

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:23:23 PM EDT
[#12]
365 days for me til I found a new job.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:23:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

DO NOT GET A REALITY SHOW ON TLC!

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:24:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:00:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

And your post now shows us why you are still unemployed......  Let me know how that attittude is working out for you when your in the soup line or cashing your Obamacheck each week. And I bet that welfare foodstamp meal tastes just as sweet as your unemployed ass too......

Me? I have a job (in fact a little better than the last one) and I will be driving around in my new company car, eating lunch with clients, and occasionaly stopping by the fun store to add some new toys to the collection. Oh and by the way, they came after me after someone mentioned to the owner that I was considering getting back into my old line of work.

For those of you still trying, keep your head up, those jobs are out there. (In a few months I may be in a positon to help some of you in the Atlanta area as we may be adding another location in the next year)
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:10:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bingo!

This idea that those that are unemployed just need to apply for jobs they are overqualified for and then, by some magic wand technique,  ZOOM !...they are hired. What a load....

I have yet found a way to force someone to hire me.

If I lie on my application, either including qualifications I don't have or qualifications I do have, I'm subject to immediate termination...

Somehow I hide the advanced degrees and military job titles.....I was "searching the world for true meaning" those twenty five years.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top