Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/10/2006 3:47:28 PM EDT
Do any manufacturers make a disposable digital underwater camera?

I understand that the disposable underwater cameras out there take bluish photos and having the ability to photoshop a digital image would be nice.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 3:50:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Most disposable "underwater" cameras I am aware of are not really good to any significant depth (for diving use), and are only really intended for snorkeling.  But, for snorkeling, they are awesome.

But there are some newer ones that can go a little deeper - like this one, which is rated to 45 feet.
www.leisurepro.com/Prod/ItemIndex_1/CategoryID_971/Context_965/Sort_SKU/DescSort_0/Filter_2%3d858/AQUSPS.html

I believe there is a processing method that is designed to correct for the underwater loss of the red end of the spectrum.  But correcting it in a package like Photoshop works pretty well too.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 3:56:57 PM EDT
[#2]
We used them snorkeling at Cozumel. Worked surprizingly well.

Vic out.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 4:28:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, the camera will just be for snorkeling.  

How do you adjust color properties on a non digital image?

Would I have to scan it into my computer and then mod it?

If so, what type of loss of quality will I get after the scan?

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 6:16:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I work in a photo lab, color correction for underwater cams is easy.  I work on a Fuji Frontier 340, and on those type machines, you get a preview of each image before printing.  There are color correction button son the machine, and you just individually go through and correct each image.  

You'll probably have better luck at a smaller lab, if you ask for it, because smaller volume = more time per roll to do corrections and such.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 6:19:04 PM EDT
[#5]

Kodak makes an underwater camera that works to 50 feet (advertised)
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 6:22:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Just put any digital camera in a zip lock bag.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:50:21 AM EDT
[#7]
It is also based on how deep you go. The deeper you go, the more red is filtered out. Some people that do it quite a bit keep a water proof color card and use that as the first picture so the guy adjusting the machine can have a clue as to how far the color is off.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:00:28 AM EDT
[#8]
So are you gonna try your luck at underwater bump firing?
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:10:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:31:24 AM EDT
[#10]
I tried a disposable once but it would not work below 10ft. Even the dive instructor said the disposables don't work well when diving. It did good snorkeling, but I wanted a digital image so I bought a dive bag for my digital. It works great and is good for up to 30-40ft deep. One thing to consider is the lighting, more sun the better the picture. And I had to change my auto focus to manual on infinity. Here is a few pics from the digital camera.

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:46:17 AM EDT
[#11]
I really like the idea of the underwater housing but they dont make one for my camera.

I have a fuji finepix S5000.  I found a underwater bag thing for it but it was like $260.00.

I think I will try a disposable digital in a ziplock bag.  I will need to do some experiments first.

What exactlly is a water proof color card?

How do you adjust the color of the photo in photoshop?  The red is lost underwater, how do you get it back.?
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 8:16:23 AM EDT
[#12]
There are housings for any camera. The problem is most cost more than the camera. The other thing is lighting. Without a big lighting rig, all of the photos look grainy or blurry.
A color card is just a card with the primary colors in a wheel on it. So you take it down and photo it where you are taking pictures at. When the guy goes to print them, he can adjust it so that the picture looks like red, yellow and blue(?) (for some reason I think it is green not blue).
Anyway in photoshop or any editing program, you should be able to shift the colors of the photo. So you would do the same here. Scan in, or transfer from the camera the color card and fix it till it looks correct. Then you can apply the changes to the other pictures.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top