Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/23/2011 11:55:49 AM EDT
Underground tunnels in the lawn suddenly started appearing around my house!

Whatever these little vermin are they are DESTROYING MY LAWN !!!!

What are they and how do I get rid of them!!!

You can tell where the tunnels are.......there are raised portions over where they tunnel.

Link Posted: 4/23/2011 11:58:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/23/2011 12:00:27 PM EDT
[#2]

"cry havoc, and let slip the ferrets of war"

Link Posted: 4/23/2011 12:00:31 PM EDT
[#3]
GOPHERS!  Watch caddyshack, it will tell you how to get rid of them.
Link Posted: 4/23/2011 12:07:15 PM EDT
[#4]
you will never be able to kill the little fuckers. You must kill their food source. They are coming in your lawn to get bugs and grubs in your lawn. Go get a bunch of bug poison and keep putting it on your lawn till all bugs are dead. The rodents will then move to your neighbors yard.
Link Posted: 4/23/2011 12:09:42 PM EDT
[#5]
A Jack Russell terrorist will take care of the problem...plus your newly plowed yard can double as a garden...
Link Posted: 4/23/2011 12:13:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/23/2011 12:17:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/23/2011 12:21:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
you will never be able to kill the little fuckers. You must kill their food source. They are coming in your lawn to get bugs and grubs in your lawn. Go get a bunch of bug poison and keep putting it on your lawn till all bugs are dead. The rodents will then move to your neighbors yard.

Right there.

Link Posted: 4/23/2011 12:23:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Rodenator

FTMFW!!!    

This.  These things are AWESOME!  

Blow the shit out of the little bastards...  
Link Posted: 4/23/2011 12:34:38 PM EDT
[#10]
If there are tunnels, they make pest control smoke bombs that you can light, stick in, then hopefully smoke them out/choke them out.  Although I never had good luck with that.  I've heard of people pouring ammonia down the tunnels to flush them out/kill them, but can't speak from experience on how successful that is.  If they are chipmunks, I've been told they like chewing gum but can't digest it, so when they eat it they eventually die.  Not sure how true that is either.  Might want to contact an exterminator first to see what you are actually dealing with, then go from there.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 4/23/2011 12:45:03 PM EDT
[#11]
get a cat.

Mine just got two, dropped the corpses off in front of the door.
Link Posted: 4/23/2011 12:48:31 PM EDT
[#12]
I bought several of the solar powered mole chasers at Harbor Freight.

They seem to work, they are now over in the neighbors yard.
Link Posted: 4/23/2011 6:14:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

How do they work?.........what's the mechanism?
Link Posted: 4/23/2011 8:42:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Google Castor Beans,they are your friend,it's like chemical warfare on the little fuckers,they can't stand it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2011 9:20:19 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

get a cat.

Mine just got two, dropped the corpses off in front of the door.

Link Posted: 4/23/2011 9:22:16 PM EDT
[#16]
The easiest way to get ride of moles is to get rid of their food source. Use a good insect killer on your lawn.
Link Posted: 4/23/2011 9:26:35 PM EDT
[#17]
you sure the vietcong aren't digging tunnels? .45 and a flashlight just to be safe...
Link Posted: 4/23/2011 9:32:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Oh dude..

Do you wanna stab stuff to death, asphyxiate stuff, or blow stuff up?

This can actually be fun.
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 2:30:10 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They make a buzzing noise every minute.

Moles don't like the noise / vibrations.

Link Posted: 4/24/2011 3:24:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

In the past I've used the battery powered ones (batteries would last about 6 months) They worked great. They do have a limited range of effectiveness so you have to buy enough to get full coverage of your yard.
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 4:15:00 AM EDT
[#21]
Ive had pretty good success this spring with the vertical spike traps.  basically you push down one foots width (your foot, not 12") of active tunnel and set the trap.  its kind of hard to set it, but if you do it right you can basically have it on a hairs trigger.  when they burrow underneath to reopen the collapsed tunnel,  the spears fly down.

if you go this route, there are some websites or youtube videos that show how to properly do it.  you have to move the spears up and down a few times to make "channels" so that they fly down unobstructed of dirt, etc.  improves your chances drastically.  (then once a trap is sprung, before I dig it up I push the spears in even further. just to make sure)

I got 3 this spring, just moved them to a new area of the yard yesterday where i saw some new active mole runs.    what i read online somewhere is the long straight runs are like mole highways, where they go back and forth to new feeding areas.  all the short curvy ones are feeding ones.  you should look for the straighter ones to set your traps.  and the large dirt piles are excavation from their DEEP burrows.

eta: didnt realize how big closeup shots from my cell phone would end up

Link Posted: 4/24/2011 5:45:48 AM EDT
[#22]
I had (hopefully) the same problem here.  Your issue is the grubs or mole crickets the moles are eating.  NOW is the week to treat for the grubs.  It's a two part kill approach you have to take.  Go to www.bugspray.com and start reading about their grub killing products called cynoria.  You need that, the stickier additive and the garden sprayer that attaches to your water hose.  Mix it up and cover the entire lawn.
 Also, get their mole poison. Poke a hole every 10 feet in a grid pattern and drop a few pellets in each hole.  It's a mixture of worm meal and poison.
  And finally, a granual that provides a slow release by Bayer. Look for their grub killer that contains cyflutherin (sp?) This stuff will provide a long term solution, but if your infestation is bad, it's going to take several applications of all of these products throughout the year.  It's not cheap either.  But the grubs and moles will destroy a lawn in short order.
Ask me how I know......
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 6:05:32 AM EDT
[#23]

3 men came to kill my moles. The best of them carried this: I call her Vera

I use 4 - 6 of these per 1/2 acre, depending on the infestation.

Once you light one, stuff it in the tunnel and shovel some dirt on it. Do not, under any circumstance, breathe the smoke. It is worse than mustard gas.

Link Posted: 4/24/2011 6:13:24 AM EDT
[#24]
take a roadflare, or break one in half, and pop it down a hole...cover with a bucket and the smoke will be pushed down their tunnels. Get bait...looks like rubber worms. Get a lawn roller and flatten the tunnels.
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 6:22:02 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Ive had pretty good success this spring with the vertical spike traps.  basically you push down one foots width (your foot, not 12") of active tunnel and set the trap.  its kind of hard to set it, but if you do it right you can basically have it on a hairs trigger.  when they burrow underneath to reopen the collapsed tunnel,  the spears fly down.

http://www.hunt101.com/uploads/26884/04729.JPG

http://www.hunt101.com/uploads/26884/016111.JPG

http://www.hunt101.com/uploads/26884/018111.JPG

eta: didnt realize how big closeup shots from my cell phone would end up

Damm you got medieval on those mother fucking moles
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 9:21:08 AM EDT
[#27]
A generator & rubber hose works, if you are patient and can hit the fresh tunnels.  This is good for killing them or at least pushing them above ground for the cats/dogs to chase down.  My back yard is on a hill, so I also tried flooding the little bastards out.  Treating the yard for grubs is the best, but even after I treated my lawn last year, I still had issues.  The lowest maintenance I currently use is the solar powered noise makers, or even the battery powered noise makes deployed all over the yard.  I have 3/4 acre, and have about 6 or 7 working.  Making you back yard an undesirable place for them to seek food is the best general suggestion.
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 9:27:47 AM EDT
[#28]
If it's a fairly flat and small area, I've had luck flooding them out with a garden hose.

Plus you get the added satisfaction of stabbing, smashing, or otherwise beating the crap out of the offenders.

Link Posted: 4/25/2011 9:39:36 AM EDT
[#29]
they are driving me nuts too, i started with those little electric stakes that make the noise and vibrations, yeah that didn't work.  I tried putting down the poison and that didn't work.  Ive tried the smoke bombs a few times but no luck.

Maybe all three at once????
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 9:45:37 AM EDT
[#30]
I would make friends with them and try to join their underground world.

I wonder if they like cookies?
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 9:56:20 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 12:19:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Forgot where I heard it from, but if you don't own a dog/cat or don't want to own one...I hear you can get some Dookie from someone's dog/cat and place it at the entrance of the tunnels
 They will avoid your yard.......don't know if it's BS or not.....But for fun, I would get something like a frog gigger 'er something and walk the tunnels, stabbing away  
 Pure "redneck" entertainment
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 12:21:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Grub-X
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 12:25:17 PM EDT
[#34]
+1 to everyone saying, kill the grubs, and the moles will leave.

And the grubs will be fucking up your lawn anyway. They eat grass roots.
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 12:28:49 PM EDT
[#35]
All good advice.  It's still probably worth considering that it might be Morlocks, though.

(I apologize for this post.)

Link Posted: 4/25/2011 12:48:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Rodenator

FTMFW!!!    

Coolest thing I've seen all day
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 1:04:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

They make a buzzing noise every minute.

Moles don't like the noise / vibrations.

Yup, worked for me too.
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 2:25:25 PM EDT
[#38]
I tried several methods of getting rid of moles when I lived in Oregon. The one thing that really worked was to dig up one of the hills and push a hose into it, pack dirt back around the hose and then hook the other end to the exhaust on our weed eater. I ran that little sucker until smoke was coming out of all the hills in the yard. Problem solved. Problem stayin' solved.
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 2:32:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Google Castor Beans,they are your friend,it's like chemical warfare on the little fuckers,they can't stand it.

Not like chemical warfare. It IS chemical warfare. Ricin is made from castor beans.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 7:22:55 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not like chemical warfare. It IS chemical warfare. Ricin is made from castor beans.

bluefalcon you are 100% correct. I had moles in my yard, got some castor beans from a friends farm, dropped a few inside the tunnels,few days later...No moles

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top