Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2005 8:52:42 PM EDT
I saw this photo on the Navy's website.  It's a 20" A2 with a 20 rounder.  Why is that? Is that just a training rifle?

Linky
050817-N-1261P-169 Okinawa, Japan (Aug. 17, 2005) - U.S. Navy Construction Mechanic 3rd Class Peter Welch back crawls through mud-filled trenches as part of an obstacle course at the Jungle Warfare Training Center (JWTC), located in the Northern Training Area on the island of Okinawa. Petty Officer Welch is assigned to Naval Mobile Construction Unit Seven Four (NMCB-74). U.S. Navy photo by Photographer's Mate 2nd Class Eric S. Powell (RELEASED)

High resolution pic
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:54:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I bet it is a rubber training rifle.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:56:12 PM EDT
[#2]
IIRC, they do not use them at all.  +1 on training rifle.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:01:48 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
IIRC, they do not use them at all.  +1 on training rifle.

+1 on training rifle.  I have heard, though, that old 20-rounders are used as range/training mags.

ETA it IS a rubber rifle.  Look at the seam in the hi-res pic running down the front of the magwell AND the front of the mag.  Either that, or airsoft, LOL (highly doubting it's airsoft).  However, some of the guns the AF had on display at Andrews AFB during the air show a few months back were airsoft.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:02:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Another one
050817-N-1261P-135 Okinawa, Japan (Aug. 17, 2005) - U.S. Navy Hospital Corpsman 2nd Class Danny L. Hawkins slides across a river using a pulley system as part of an obstacle course at the Jungle Warfare Training Center (JWTC), located in the Northern Training Area on the island of Okinawa. Petty Officer Hawkins is assigned to Naval Mobile Construction Unit Seven Four (NMCB-74). U.S. Navy photo by Photographer's Mate 2nd Class Eric S. Powell (RELEASED)

Hi-res
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:06:12 PM EDT
[#5]
rubber rifle look closely at the "holes" in the handguard
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:07:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Would a real M16A2 still work after that amount of mud ?  I mean, on a real one, I figure you'd have a lot of mud and shit down inside it, would it become a jam-o-matic ?  
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:07:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:16:14 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
A1 profile barrel, 20 rounder, A2 hand guard...
Rubber Ducky, You're the one!
You make the worm pit, oh so fun!

LOL I was gonna make a rubber ducky reference, but you beat me to it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:36:51 PM EDT
[#9]
I've seen a fair number of pics with people, both US Military and contractors using 20 rounders. Largely on scoped rifles where some people say the 30 round might get in the way. Also on guys in vehicles. Somebody here said that they 20 rounder was easier to use in a vehicle, but the rest he had were 30's for a fight.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:40:05 PM EDT
[#10]
The 20's make it easier for one to get down into the dirt. As previously mentioned, these were often on SPR's or the like.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:51:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Twenties are hard to find, but coveted items.  Not so much for SPRs, but for use by Squad Leaders.  You grab a couple 20s, fill 'em with tracers pulled from belted SAW ammo, and you have a good way to mark targets for selected personnel (normally the M249 gunner, but could be a SMAW, M203 or AT-4, depending on mission) in your squad.  The 20 mag can be kept in a pocket and is easy to tell by feel from your 30s full of ball M855.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 10:26:23 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Twenties are hard to find, but coveted items.  Not so much for SPRs, but for use by Squad Leaders.  You grab a couple 20s, fill 'em with tracers pulled from belted SAW ammo, and you have a good way to mark targets for selected personnel (normally the M249 gunner, but could be a SMAW, M203 or AT-4, depending on mission) in your squad.  The 20 mag can be kept in a pocket and is easy to tell by feel from your 30s full of ball M855.

...says the voice of experience.

That's the way my squad leaders and platoon sergeants always did it.

Well, except for one platoon sergeant, but he was a worthless sack of shit anyway and couldn't fight his way out of a paper bag, so he doesn't count.

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:34:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Is anyone else cringing as they look at that pic of the pecker-checker about to crimp his hand
between the pulley and the cable?

Corpsman up!

BTW I see 20 rdrs. all the time...
On M-14's.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 12:24:42 AM EDT
[#14]
I've done the Endurance Course at JWTC.  You get a rubber rifle for it.  You also throw away your boots and cammies afterwards.  There are obstacles that include a mud called peanut butter that is waist deep in places.  It is called peanut butter because it is the some color and consistency.

We went in Feb, and had to pull several teams off the course after 6 hours because of hypothermia.

Good times!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top