Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/1/2003 5:48:57 AM EDT
[url]http://www.indystar.com/print/articles/2/012709-6832-092.html[/url]
Man killed, 2 injured in shootout

Police recover AR-15 semiautomatic rifle that they say was used in the gunbattle.

By Tom Spalding

January 01, 2003

A man wearing two gun holsters lay dead in the street and two others were in the hospital Tuesday after what police called a high-powered gunbattle on the Eastside.

The two injured men were taken to Methodist Hospital. One was listed in fair condition, the other in critical condition.

Police identified the dead man as Reginald Harden, 20, 4500 block of Calhoun Street. The names of the wounded men were not immediately available.

The shooting occurred about 3:50 p.m. at Madeira and Van Buren streets.

There, a forest-green sedan, its engine still running, had smashed a fire hydrant. Blood was visible inside the vehicle; the rear driver's-side wheel cover was streaked with blood.

Shell casings were sprinkled around the area.

Across the street from the sedan, an Indianapolis police officer stood guard over a weapon police said was used in the shootings, identified as an AR-15.

"We aren't sure what initiated the incident," said Indianapolis Police Department spokesman Sgt. Russell Burns. "This was very violent and very fast."

The gunfight took place between the car and the front lawn of one building of the Grandville Cooperative, a group of townhouses and apartments north of Raymond Street and west of Sherman Drive. Early Tuesday night, police were still trying to determine whether the wounded men lived in the complex or were visiting.

Two property managers said the shooting was highly unusual for the area. One woman did have concerns, however.

"It's been festering for a while. It's been festering," said K.A. Mitchell, 48, who has lived in the neighborhood for five years and has been vocal about trying to make the area safe. "It's guns. Guns that kids get a hold of. They got more firepower than the police."

It was the city's 82nd homicide of the year, still the lowest since 1993 in the Police Department's jurisdiction. For Marion County, it is the 118th killing this year, down from 119 deaths in 2001.

It is unclear whether the AR-15 found at the scene Tuesday was the murder weapon.

The AR-15 is a semiautomatic rifle that fires .223-caliber bullets.

It is popular in marksmanship competitions, but such rifles "are very rarely used" in the commission of crimes, said Walter J. Kuleck, author of "The AR-15 Complete Owner's Guide."

Call Tom Spalding at 1-317-327-7939.
View Quote

Notice the term "automatic weapon" is missing, as is "assault rifle".  The quote from Kuleck's book is awesome.  Let's all contact Mr. Spalding and compliment him for getting it right.  How often does a reporter approach a story like this without a natural bias against the [i]evil[/i] black rifle?

Please send an email to Mr. Spalding.  Reporters love feedback!  [email][email protected][/email]

Link Posted: 1/1/2003 5:55:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 6:11:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Just putting a NAME to the weapon is conviction of evil status. ...
View Quote

I see your point.

Still, you I don’t see how we can criticize the press for stating the truth (assuming it was an AR-15).  That comes a little too close to PC talk.

I’d give the reporter credit for being honest.

If that shooting had occurred here in the DC area, the Washington Post would have covered it a [b]lot[/b] differently!!!
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 6:14:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The AR-15 is a semiautomatic rifle that fires .223-caliber bullets.
View Quote

Shouldn't that say something like:
The AR-15 is a semiautomatic rifle that fires .223 Remington cartridge which is .224-caliber bullet.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 7:05:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Man killed, 2 injured in shootout

Police recover AR-15 semiautomatic rifle that they say was used in the gunbattle.

A man wearing two gun holsters lay dead in the street and two others were in the hospital Tuesday after what police called a [red]high-powered[/red] gunbattle on the Eastside.

Across the street from the sedan, an Indianapolis police officer stood guard over a [red]weapon police said was used in the shootings, identified as an AR-15.[/red]

"We aren't sure what initiated the incident," said Indianapolis Police Department spokesman Sgt. Russell Burns. "This was [red]very violent and very fast.[/red]"

"It's been festering for a while. It's been festering," said K.A. Mitchell, 48, who has lived in the neighborhood for five years and has been vocal about trying to make the area safe. [red]"It's guns. Guns that kids get a hold of. They got more firepower than the police."[/red]

It is unclear whether the AR-15 found at the scene Tuesday was the murder weapon.
View Quote
Well if the AR isn't the weapon, WHAT OTHER gun could be???

They don't name ANY other weapon but I'm sure there were others identified.

This is a story about how deadly AR15s are, plain and simple.

But at least they TRY to get a factual and "balanced" story by burying the fact that ARs are RARELY used in any crimes at the very end of the story - AFTER the not-so-subtle demonizing of the AR has been well stated and supported.

Link Posted: 1/1/2003 7:55:02 AM EDT
[#5]
I believe this is reporting as it should be. The reporter could have easily turned it into a gun issue, as we know most of them would. I'm truely amazed there were no references to the Va Sniper or other infamous shootings. He didn't use "assault weapon" or any other negative image provoking wording. He also added that this type of rifle is used for "legitimate" sporting purposes. Overall, a fair piece of reporting. Just the facts without the hype.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 9:23:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Interesting. The reporter injects absolutely no value labels into his writing of the story. The closest he comes is quoting police and a neighbor; and the paranoid types still think it's an antiAR piece.

Would you have had him misquote his sources? Me, I think he did a great job in balancing the quotes of his initial sources with a counter point of view about ARs. Would that all reporting about semi auto rifle use in a crime be this balanced.

IMO, seeing this as some sort of covert anti AR article is getting into borderline tinfoil hat territory [:D]
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 11:46:30 AM EDT
[#7]
i'm always skeptical when the indy star reports on firearms.  they have a history of being very anti-second amendment.  from a rather scathing editorial on ar15's following the shootings in no. va. to claiming that black talon bullets can pierce a bullet proof vest.  they like to roll don (of don's guns infamy) out as their firearms expert (a man who is better suited selling used cars or swamp land as opposed to firearms).
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 11:50:50 AM EDT
[#8]
What the fck does it matter if it's semi or not?  They print that shit they want it banned.  Semiautomatic the buzzword.

Reporters suck ass.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 2:31:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
i'm always skeptical when the indy star reports on firearms.  they have a history of being very anti-second amendment.
View Quote

We can't change history but we sure as hell can do something about the future! Ya gotta hit 'em where it hurts. In the subscriptions! Phone rang last week, wife answered. Conversation goes like this:
Wife: "Hello."
Pause.
Wife: "Not interested."
Short pause.
Wife: "Because you're anti-gun."
I turn and look at her.
Pause.
Wife: "That would be like canceling out my NRA Membership if I did that. No thanks." Click

I ask "who was that?"
Wife: Idiot Star
I just grinned. I've created a monster.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top