Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 4/5/2002 4:11:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/5/2002 4:12:51 PM EDT by SteyrAUG]
Highest parachute jump [img]http://www.stratoquest.com/images/life.jpg[/img] The thinner the atmosphere, the less resistance it offers, so the faster you can fall through it. On 16 August 1960 Captain Joseph Kittinger of the US Air Force leapt from an open balloon gondola at 102,800ft - that’s up in the stratosphere - to make the highest parachute jump ever. Wearing a pressure suit and trailing a small drogue ’chute to prevent a flat spin, reached a maximum speed of 982.4kph (Mach 0.9) as he passed through 90,000ft. [img]http://www.space.com/images/h_kitt_03,0.jpg[/img] Stepping off a platform from practically outer space. Solid stainlesss steel extra large BALLS. Saw this on the History Channel, from his vantage point you could see the blackness of space and entire continents. How the hell do you aim your landing?
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 4:23:59 PM EDT
What a freakin [i][b]RUSH![/b][/i] Where do I sign up!?!
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 4:37:14 PM EDT
I'm not impressed.
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 4:40:09 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 4:42:35 PM EDT
Met the man when I lived in Sarasota Fl where he retiered to after the military. The city dedicated a small park to him. Absolutely the most quiet and unasuming gentleman I have ever had the privledge to speak to. I guess with balls the size of his, you don't feel the need to prove anything to anyone.
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 4:47:49 PM EDT
Originally Posted By SteyrAUG: Solid stainlesss steel extra large BALLS.
View Quote
Yep, that just about covers it. [img]http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/cool.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 4:51:56 PM EDT
Saw him interviewed on Discovery Channel. Always had a smile and a positive attitude. That's a man to look up to, if you ask me. Supersonic without a plane!
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 4:57:26 PM EDT
You have to think that everything else after that in life is pretty mundane. Those would be Titanium, Diamond-studded cajones!
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 9:21:28 PM EDT
Whatever their made of, i bet he's got three of em.
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 9:28:30 PM EDT
WOW!!!How DID he aim for his LZ?
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 10:06:07 PM EDT
Originally Posted By MAC-DADDY: WOW!!!How DID he aim for his LZ?
View Quote
"Well let's see that's NORTH AMERICA up there, I guess I'll steer thataway..." NO SHIT MD, exactly what I was thinking. Not only that everything was more or less rigged to be automatic. It was pretty much a given that he would black out. How he didn't end up in the Pacific, or the Atlantic for that matter, out cold is beyond me. Talk about fear of heights... Seriously, this guy stepped of a balloon platform in the Stratosphere. That means you are so GODDAMN HIGH they came up with a new name for where you are. I read this, I saw it on History channel, and it still never ceases to amaze me.
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 10:24:27 PM EDT
There is an Army reservist, who is AGR and a member of the Black Knights, who is going to attempt to break that record. If I was that guy, I would be thinking: 1. Good God, I hope that there was a NOTAM issued by the FAA for the airspace! 2. Do I get hazardous duty pay with this? 3. Is their asbestos in this damn suit? 4. Only an officer would be stupid enough to try something this stupid. 5. Viet Nam can't be that bad, can it? (Yeah, I know it was 1960) 6. Orgasms will now offically be obsolete for me! 7. Why couldn't they get a monkey do it first-those space program guys have all of the luck. 8. What did you say terminal velocity is? 9. Who in the hell would be stupid enough to take the picture of my ass jumping from 100k ft, and not be wearing a parachute? 10. I better get a damn promotion out of this little stunt!
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 10:39:01 PM EDT
Even in a pressure suit at that speed I don't see how his suit wasn't ripped from him. I saw a special once about a passenger plane that lost cabin press.at ? can't remember. The passengers they found on the ground and in the trees were naked as their clothes were ripped off of them on the way down.
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 10:41:43 PM EDT
I imagine that this was one contract that the lowest bidder was not chosen.
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 10:47:03 PM EDT
Dammit boy!! "Well let's see that's NORTH AMERICA up there, I guess I'll steer thataway..." ROTHLMAO!!!! FOR REAL THOUGH,It's a miricale that he DIDN"T land in the middle of the Pacific.(shudder) (I'll probably have a nightmare about that now) (lol)
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 11:00:31 PM EDT
Could he have given off a sonic boom? Would it have affected him and torn him to pieces, or would he have been ahead of the boom? Stupid questions, but i'm sure one of you guys knows more than me about avionics and jumping!
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 11:21:36 PM EDT
BYU - I'll declare - you are on a ROLL tonight man!!! LOL
View Quote
and
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Originally Posted By MAC-DADDY: I'M NOT A TROLL. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- No, but you play one on ar15.com
View Quote
[NI]
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 11:25:36 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Tate: BYU - I'll declare - you are on a ROLL tonight man!!! LOL
View Quote
and
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Originally Posted By MAC-DADDY: I'M NOT A TROLL. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- No, but you play one on ar15.com
View Quote
[NI]
View Quote
Thank you Sir! Once I get my fill of public accounting, I want to be a stand up comic. Hopefully I can displace Leno, and Letterman will finally have some real competition. My mom is even more of a smart ass then me, and I love her for raising me right. Again, thank you!
Top Top