Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/15/2011 10:30:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/15/2011 10:36:37 AM EDT by Forgetfull]
I just got an email saying I only can use 50GB a month before I go over my "usage amount". No idea when this started and what it even means.
Anyone else have their ISP limit their data usage? I'm pretty irked right now. It said nothing about this when I signed up.
I live in the middle of PHX btw.

I think I can easily burn through 50GB with Netflix and surfing.
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 10:32:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/15/2011 10:32:36 AM EDT by Bill247]
Originally Posted By Forgetfull:
I just got an email saying I only can use 50GB a month. No idea when this started.
Anyone else have their ISP limit their data usage? I'm pretty pissed right now. It said nothing about this when I signed up.

I can easily burn through 50GB with Netflix and surfing.

50GB does not sound like "netflix and surfing" useage to me.

I used to be a newsgroup leech extraordinaire and never really approached that kind of useage.

ETA - Do you game online?

Link Posted: 11/15/2011 10:35:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/15/2011 10:36:07 AM EDT by Forgetfull]
Originally Posted By Bill247:
I just got an email saying I only can use 50GB a month. No idea when this started.
Anyone else have their ISP limit their data usage? I'm pretty pissed right now. It said nothing about this when I signed up.

I used to be a newsgroup leech extraordinaire and never really approached that kind of useage.

A little bit of PS3, maybe an hour or so a week. I probably watch 15 hours of netflix a week though. Also Pandora
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 10:36:58 AM EDT
My buddy noticed that they were tracking it a while back and expected that was coming. There's a hidden tab, or used I be, on your online account screen that would show you monthly/weekly/daily usage.
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 10:40:47 AM EDT
Cox had a 200GB but I dropped them for FIOS back in June because my modem(Internet and phone) would reset about 8 times a day because of shitty signal quality on the lines feeding my house Their customer loyalty department gave me no reason to continue to be a customer.

Link Posted: 11/15/2011 10:43:30 AM EDT

A little bit of PS3, maybe an hour or so a week. I probably watch 15 hours of netflix a week though. Also Pandora

15 hours Netflix might do it. Files were smaller when I was on usenet.

Have they offered additional bandwidth for an additonal charge?

Link Posted: 11/15/2011 10:44:52 AM EDT

Couldn't of been much of a leech than.
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 10:45:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/15/2011 10:49:48 AM EDT by Credge]
After however many GB's your plan allows they throttle your speed a bit.

I hit it this month due to new PC and Steam and I notice nothing.

ETA: Oh no, I have 8 megabytes down now instead of 15. Whatever will I do?
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 10:47:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/15/2011 10:48:34 AM EDT by Forgetfull]
They do offer more bandwidth for and extra 15-50 bucks.
I've never encountered a large ISP in a city that does this. I guess this is going to be the wave of the future.

Throttling thrown in there too.
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 10:51:26 AM EDT

They do offer more bandwidth for and extra 15-50 bucks.
I've never encountered a large ISP in a city that does this. I guess this is going to be the wave of the future.

Throttling thrown in there too.

I'd bet on that. More folks streaming in video probably taxing their system.

Add to that a cable company like Cox isn't gonna like providing the very internet connection that lets people cut their cable TV contract to go to Roku or Apple TV for their TV entertainment.
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 10:52:37 AM EDT
Ummm that is ridiculous. I have downloaded over 100 gigs a month several times in the past year. I never received a notice. Maybe they don't care because I gave been a customer for 13-14 years. Seriously though I have asked about bandwidth caps before and the only answer I could get made it seen like 200 gigs might make them mad.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 10:54:31 AM EDT
I heard this was going to be an issue once streaming video got big.

Kind of stands to reason that bandwidth is a commodity and you'll pay for what you use ....... some day.

Think it's the same issue as electric cars. They charge at home and don't pay gasoline taxes so they don't contribute to highway maintenance etc. They propose to monitor autos and trucks and make them pay mileage fees in lieu of (or in addition to) gasoline taxes....you know they hate to stop taxing anything and stopping taxing carbon products is pretty much unthinkable.
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 10:55:13 AM EDT
Originally Posted By iiibdsiil:

Very few music/movies - just apps. Grabbed them, assessed them, uninstalled them.

Link Posted: 11/15/2011 11:00:08 AM EDT
Comcast has a 200GB cap for most residential accounts. when i had Time Warner in NYC, there were no caps...
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 11:01:11 AM EDT

sounds like maybe your machine is probably pwned and probably serving pr0n w/o you knowing it.
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 11:04:54 AM EDT
Current Billing Cycle: October 20, 2011 - November 19, 2011

Data Usage 34.23 GB Used of 200 GB Allowed

Link Posted: 11/15/2011 11:11:09 AM EDT
Originally Posted By LinkedM4:

sounds like maybe your machine is probably pwned and probably serving pr0n w/o you knowing it.

They can do that through a ps3 and android?
that's what is use 90 percent of the time.
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 11:22:17 AM EDT
Sounds like they are test piloting caps, and very low ones at that.

Call and complain, say you are looking to move to another ISP. They might not care, but it's worth a shot. Best case is they note that customers don't like the caps, and you get a month or two free.

I used 352GB last month, and generally are over 250GB/mo.
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 11:28:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/15/2011 11:29:18 AM EDT by iiibdsiil]
Originally Posted By iiibdsiil:

Very few music/movies - just apps. Grabbed them, assessed them, uninstalled them.

I always joke that ThePirateBay is my favorite movie rental place.
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 11:28:47 AM EDT

what about the other 10% of the time? has your PC never been used on your home network? in that other 10% of the time, even if you arent using the PC, if its on its possible it could have been hacked and is doing things w/o your knowledge. Im just saying all this as II dont believe the data you listed would equate to 50G
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 11:29:37 AM EDT
Originally Posted By adi:

Call and complain, say you are looking to move to another ISP. They might not care, but it's worth a shot. Best case is they note that customers don't like the caps, and you get a month or two free.

damn. out of curiosity, what are you doing on your connection that uses that much data?
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 11:43:26 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Josh:

damn. out of curiosity, what are you doing on your connection that uses that much data?
Games, streaming content, business downloads, seeding open source torrents. I also work from home, so this isn't just normal morning/evening usage.

I am also on a FIOS 35/35 connection, so 4.2MB/s for most of what I do.

Most ISP's have started with 200-250GB caps, 50GB is the lowest cap I have heard so far. Going to suck when people start getting charged twice for online services. Once for the service itself, then for the bandwidth that it uses (i.e. buy a game from online service, then pay for the bandwidth to download the game). Eventually it will cost more to stream a rented movie than it is to rent it.

Link Posted: 11/15/2011 11:46:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/15/2011 11:50:43 AM EDT by Rose]
If you log into your cox account you can see your usage and allowance. They graph 12mo of usage. I come close to 50GB some months but have never quite hit 50. I'm allowed 250GB.

From cox's FAQ
Why does cox enforce data usage allowances?

A: Data usage allowances are necessary to ensure that extremely high data users do not negatively impact other customers using Cox's broadband network.

ETA: I have cox's Premier service. $65mo.
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 11:46:13 AM EDT
To those that find his usage high, as an avid web browser, video streamer, and video gamer, I can safely say that his usage is not at all difficult to match, or even exceed by quite a large margin.

I re-install Windows regularly to keep my system fresh, so every few months at least I use a few hundred GB's in a matter of days. My Steam folder is ~150GB on it's own, and that is just one of the things (albeit the largest) I download every time I re-install. Combined with my normal day to day usage, this is enough to bring my average monthly usage to over 100GB a month.

Link Posted: 11/15/2011 11:47:26 AM EDT

Games, streaming content, business downloads, seeding open source torrents. I also work from home, so this isn't just normal morning/evening usage.

Most ISP's have started with 200-250GB caps, 50GB is the lowest cap I have heard so far. Going to suck when people start getting charged twice for online services. Once for the service itself, then for the bandwidth that it uses (i.e. buy a game from online service, then pay for the bandwidth to download the game). Eventually it will cost more to stream a rented movie than it is to rent it.

Ah okay, if you're seeding torrents that makes sense.
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 11:50:36 AM EDT

what about the other 10% of the time? has your PC never been used on your home network? in that other 10% of the time, even if you arent using the PC, if its on its possible it could have been hacked and is doing things w/o your knowledge. Im just saying all this as II dont believe the data you listed would equate to 50G

I was string to say my laptop is only on for about 8 hours a week. Possible that it's streaming stuff, I've just never noticed a slow down in service while it was on.
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 11:51:52 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Rose:
If you log into your cox account you can see your usage and allowance. They graph 12mo of usage. I come close to 50GB some months but have never quite hit 50. I'm allowed 250GB.

From cox's FAQ
Why does cox enforce data usage allowances?

A: Data usage allowances are necessary to ensure that extremely high data users do not negatively impact other customers using Cox's broadband network.

ETA: I have cox's Premier service. $65mo.

Thanks, ill have to figure out what the heck my log in is.
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 12:00:09 PM EDT

Ah okay, if you're seeding torrents that makes sense.

Past 7 days, my main workstation is at 17.7GB, my torrent box is at 18.3GB. Bandwidth-wise torrenting doesn't hugely outpace my normal usage. Although looking at my graphs, it has 1.6 million connections vs 100k for my workstation, but that is the nature of torrent (connect, grab small slice of file).

My torrent box is also on a schedule, so it doesn't run unlimited except at night.
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 12:12:11 PM EDT
Wow I just checked mine and I'm apparently limited to 30GB monthly. I've got the lowest level package.
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 12:17:30 PM EDT
Throttling and bandwidth usage limits are the future. Learn to deal with it. There will be no safe haven. You pay for what you eat. If you use substantially more than the broad customer base - you should pay more once your usage impacts bandwidth available to those who share your neighborhood's resources.

Bandwidth costs money. Netflix chews up a lot of bandwidth. You gotta pay to play.
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 12:29:34 PM EDT
Your netflix usage may well use up your bandwidth. Netflix typically uses 1 to 2.5 gigs per hour of programming, depending on the quality (HD vs SD).

50 gb/month is really low. I've got at&t uverse which limits it to 200 gb/month in some markets. From what I can tell it isn't limited in my market yet.
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 12:29:53 PM EDT

Originally Posted By CWO:
Throttling and bandwidth usage limits are the future. Learn to deal with it. There will be no safe haven. You pay for what you eat. If you use substantially more than the broad customer base - you should pay more once your usage impacts bandwidth available to those who share your neighborhood's resources.

Bandwidth costs money. Netflix chews up a lot of bandwidth. You gotta pay to play.

Safe haven would be South Korea. They are rolling out 1000mbit home fiber service for $29/mo.

I predict that third world countries would have cheap bandwidth services (aka seedboxes), burn data onto DVD/blu-ray, ship them to the US, and be cheaper than using local bandwidth. Yay for US embracing the digital revolution!
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 12:34:30 PM EDT
I use Suddenlink Cable and it's tiered by what speed you pay for.

Download speed = 10mbps or less - data limit/month = 150GB
Download speed = 10mbps to 20mbps - data limit/month = 250GB
Download speed = 20mbps or greater- data limit/month = 350GB

I'm in the 10mbps tier.

I just checked my usage and I haven't strayed over 100GB yet.

August 2011 = 65 GB
September 2011 = 88 GB
October 2011 = 80 GB
So far this month I'm at 35 GB

I checked the days before I travel (when I'm pulling TV shows/movies from iTunes and that's accurate).

My wife uses her iPad to entertain my son with the PBS kids app. It streams video of all their shows and it runs practically non-stop during the day. I wonder if it's being a data hog?
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 12:38:28 PM EDT
I'm glad my apartment complex has a bundled commercial setup with unlimited still. I think our bundle(tv,phone,data) would be 100GB a month otherwise.
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 12:43:06 PM EDT
I end up downloading most stuff at school because it is much much faster, and I don't have to put up with a measly 60gb like I do at home. I can save that bandwidth for watching naked ladies.
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 12:55:53 PM EDT
That is such a small amount for a home internet provider. I know Comcast started limiting its customers, but online it shows you how much you use and I use an average of like 10GB out of my 250GB limit. I dont stream very often and don't have netflix.
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 1:03:54 PM EDT

total ISP costs are a little over $0.01 per GB...
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 1:11:42 PM EDT

Originally Posted By mcantu:

If that were accurate - Comcast would be raking in billions of profit every year.

Problem is - heavy users slow down other people sharing the "pipe". Providers throttle and to some dergree offer higher cost plans to level the service bandwidth at peak usage times. That keeps your average user from complaining about slow service and bolting for other providers.

Link Posted: 11/15/2011 1:13:33 PM EDT
OP - This is all explained on the COX customer web site. Nothing groundbreaking new here. Your 50gb limit is due to you having the one level above the cheapest level of service you have with them. Want more, bump it up and pay the $$.

Link Posted: 11/15/2011 1:14:25 PM EDT

That's nowhere near accurate. That may be a specific charge they pay for something (I don't know off the top of my head), but they've got a whole lot more overhead than that.
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 1:14:26 PM EDT

This. People are lead to believe that bandwidth cost a lot of money, when in fact it cost pennies. Its a money maker.
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 1:18:23 PM EDT
Exactly, it is a money maker. Cox as an example is taking huge losses in their phone service, 2nd telephone lines are almost unheard of, Fees to other content providers are killing them, Redbox, netflix and Hulu, etc are killing their cable business as is Dish.

So what do they have left to make $$ on = Data.
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 1:22:49 PM EDT
Originally Posted By SISUltra:

This. People are lead to believe that bandwidth cost a lot of money, when in fact it cost pennies. Its a money maker.

bandwidth requires massive amounts of capital outlay, do you have the money to put in the infrastructure? If not, you can't argue about the costs, as you don't actually understand what they are.
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 1:25:03 PM EDT

bandwidth requires massive amounts of capital outlay, do you have the money to put in the infrastructure? If not, you can't argue about the costs, as you don't actually understand what they are.

Can you explain the costs please?
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 1:51:21 PM EDT
Technology is advancing to the point of speed becoming less relevant. Yet we are being price rationed as if there is a shortage. Prices should not be going up.

What alternatives do we have in Arizona?
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 1:54:08 PM EDT
Comcast has a 200GB cap for most residential accounts. when i had Time Warner in NYC, there were no caps...

I just noticed this recently...it has a cap of 250gb.
I do not remember them ever sending any notices on this cap or when it started. I have had comcast internet for 8-9 years.

Link Posted: 11/15/2011 1:55:00 PM EDT
Originally Posted By MFS1589:
Exactly, it is a money maker. Cox as an example is taking huge losses in their phone service, 2nd telephone lines are almost unheard of, Fees to other content providers are killing them, Redbox, netflix and Hulu, etc are killing their cable business as is Dish.

So what do they have left to make $$ on = Data.

Cox is a phone service and gained internet, even their phone system piggybacks their cable, it is not a separate line. It is not a loss it is a transition of technology.

They are not going broke.
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 2:02:42 PM EDT

We have a home in Mammoth Lakes in the Owens Valley. There is little infrastructure and they are lobbying hard for a fibre connection (government subsidized) to run up this lightly inhabited area as the other choices are fairly maxed out. We have limited cable and limited high def and low bandwidth options on internet. Market issues really.

Link Posted: 11/15/2011 2:28:32 PM EDT
Originally Posted By MFS1589:

Can you explain the costs please?

Have you ever priced a single Cisco router or switch? How about the technicians to run the equipment? The electricity to keep the equipment running? The generators to provide backup power?

I have.

It's hundreds of thousands of dollars in costs, not even related to bandwidth, just to overhead.

So if they're paying a penny per gig to their upstream provider, that's only a tiny fraction of their actual costs.
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 2:44:58 PM EDT
I'm stuck at 10 gigs a month on Verizon wireless.

Fuckers. Living in the sticks can suck.
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 4:42:05 PM EDT

Originally Posted By JohnSmith6073:
I'm stuck at 10 gigs a month on Verizon wireless.

Fuckers. Living in the sticks can suck.

Pulling fiber/cable to the sticks. It sucks.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top