Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/30/2005 12:41:17 PM EDT
Seems they'd be pretty useful for N'awlins right now with all the looting going on. I know you can score a paraglider for under 10 grand, but what about a helo?

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 3:28:19 PM EDT
There's an outfit that sells kits for about $25,000

www.innovatortech.ca/

It'd be cool to mount one of those .22lr crank-powered gatling guns on one of these, then rig the crank to a battery-powered electric motor, like a DeWalt drill motor.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 3:33:44 PM EDT

Originally Posted By raven:

It'd be cool to mount one of those .22lr crank-powered gatling guns on one of these, then rig the crank to a battery-powered electric motor, like a DeWalt drill motor.

How do you guys think of this stuff????????
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 3:35:16 PM EDT
Do you need permits of any sort for ultralights?
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 3:44:04 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Tomislav:
Do you need permits of any sort for ultralights?

Most ultralights don't require licenses permits or airworthiness certs. However if it is classified as experimental, licenses permits and certs may be required.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 3:45:05 PM EDT

Illegal
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 3:46:44 PM EDT
Flying Coffins!!!
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 3:48:01 PM EDT

Originally Posted By olyarms:

Illegal

Well duh. But I've been oppressed by society, so it's ok
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 3:51:28 PM EDT
Holy shit that looks like an accident waiting to happen.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:26:55 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Slacker:
Holy shit that looks like an accident waiting to happen.

Looks pretty cool.

If only it had a second seat and room for a RPK....
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:38:14 AM EDT
In an ultralight heli, there is only one worth serious consideration: The UltraSport 254.

It's been selling for about 10 years, flying for 12. No fatalities, only one accident that involved a .gov test of the heli with an autopilot fitted. These helis were designed by a group of defense contractors (ATI) who make parts for Bell and Sikorsky. The whole chopper has been datalogged, stress tested, and subjected to FMEA-it is rated for unlimited life at 110% of rated maximum loads (engine excluded).

Basically the heli is all carbon composite, as are the blades (glass, nomex and rohacell). I do composites work, and I visited their place in Newport News back in June. I had been following the heli since the first test flights and am now getting pretty serious about buying one.. I was really impressed with the heli, the people working there, and they seemed like they would continue to be around for a while to come.

I have several glowing magazine reports on the Ultrasport choppers I've collected over the years. Right now I am sifting through the construction manual, FAA approval paperwork, and flight manual, making sure I am ready to do this.

As it's an Ultralight, there are no licensing requirements, but they won't ship you the main rotor blades until youhave a minimum of a local solo sign off from a heli instructor.

Price is in the $32k range and the kit builds in about 60 hours. Very prefabricated.

Dave
Top Top