Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2005 3:03:12 PM EDT
Anyone else managed to do this?  2003 with just under 36K.  The oil pump failed, so Ford is going to fork out a new engine under warranty.  
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:31:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Nope....But if you take a Crown Vic and drive it into a body of water deeper than the bottom of the door and injest water.  It will be considered  a total lose even with under 5,000 miles.  

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 5:50:08 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Nope....But if you take a Crown Vic and drive it into a body of water deeper than the bottom of the door and injest water.  It will be considered  a total lose even with under 5,000 miles.  

What fucking dumb ass would do that?

Nevermind...we had just one of those dumbasses do just that and he even gave the play by play of the water "over the rocker panels," and then into the car over the radio.  
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:19:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Two cars in about 5 years for my department.  No flood conditions, just blocker sewers.  The command staff even gave training in an officer's meeting about it.  Topped it off with a picture of one of our squads with water line decals on the squad.  It was a good laugh but no one will be laughing if that happens again.

And we got a new policy on driving into water of unknown depth.  Basically it says if you do not know the water depth you better not be driving in it or you will be screwed if anything bad happens.  

I still laugh when one of the older guys tells the story about how the "rookie" drove the squad into a "lake" and then would not get out of the car.   Older officer had to go hook up the chains to pull him out since the rookie would not get out and the tow guy was not about to go into the water.

Couple years later, same thing except a different officer got out of the car and the water flooded the interior of the car.    
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:59:51 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What fucking dumb ass would do that?

Nevermind...we had just one of those dumbasses do just that and he even gave the play by play of the water "over the rocker panels," and then into the car over the radio.  

i belive all the units were advised over primary to not go into any water that day either.   Then he gets on the radio. buwahahaaaa  
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 3:34:17 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't know about engines but we've been going through transmissions like crazy.  Roughly 1/3 of our fleet has had it transmission replaced at least once.  My CVPI is in the shop now getting its third tranny.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 4:39:18 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I don't know about engines but we've been going through transmissions like crazy.  Roughly 1/3 of our fleet has had it transmission replaced at least once.  My CVPI is in the shop now getting its third tranny.

Alot of our 2003 impalas had all been going down having catalytic convertor problems around 20-30,000 miles.  
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 4:48:22 AM EDT
[#7]
speaking of broken units.....

brand new 2002 (back in 2002)

going to a Petty larceny out in the county...65 mph.......(RIGHT)

smacked a deer on the LF corner and totaled the WHOLE left side.

the deputy had to crawl over the center console with a KDT (computer) and all to get out.

I was riding along at the time and we messured the marks on the road to about 150-170 feet.

65mph MY ASS!
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 5:42:52 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
speaking of broken units.....

brand new 2002 (back in 2002)

going to a Petty larceny out in the county...65 mph.......(RIGHT)

smacked a deer on the LF corner and totaled the WHOLE left side.

the deputy had to crawl over the center console with a KDT (computer) and all to get out.

I was riding along at the time and we messured the marks on the road to about 150-170 feet.

65mph MY ASS!

To solve for the f factor on a surface, Speed squared divided by 30Xdistance to stop

Using 65 mph and 170 feet, equals an f factor of .82....................

.82 = GOOD traction.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 5:44:38 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Everyone of the ones I have ever owned have had trans problems.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:33:31 AM EDT
[#10]
I don't know if anyone has experienced this but we have a 2003 CVPI.  A week or so ago, one of the other officers were driving it and I was in the passenger seat.  We were in a pursuit and he was driving too slow.  I told him to speed up and he said that he was having a hard time controlling the vehicle.  I figured that it was just his first pursuit and he was scared.  Well, I drove that vehicle recently to get into position to assist in another pursuit.  That vehicle is UNSTABLE at anything above 70mph.  I normally drive a 2001 CVPI and it doesn't behave anything like this particular 2003.  Anyone else have that problem?  This one has about 60,000 miles.  

+1 on the deer.  Friend of mine hit a deer a few years ago with a CVPI.  He claimed that he was only going about 45mph but there were car parts scattered over hundreds of feet.  He still has the front grill!  Did about $7000 worth of damage.  I estimate that he was going around 90mph.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 12:54:42 PM EDT
[#11]
There's something wrong with that car.  the 2003 should, if anything, be more stable than the 2001 due to the suspension upgrades.

Seriously, with all the complaining about the vics, would anyone rather have an impala?  I thought not.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 8:43:40 AM EDT
[#12]
We were directed to drive out of overdrive a couple of years ago and it cut down on transmission problems alot.  The only problem is that when we have pursuits that go out on to the interstate or some of the larger state routes we have to remember to put it back on.

Man I miss the Caprice......

Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/29/2005 8:53:32 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I don't know if anyone has experienced this but we have a 2003 CVPI.  A week or so ago, one of the other officers were driving it and I was in the passenger seat.  We were in a pursuit and he was driving too slow.  I told him to speed up and he said that he was having a hard time controlling the vehicle.  I figured that it was just his first pursuit and he was scared.  Well, I drove that vehicle recently to get into position to assist in another pursuit.  That vehicle is UNSTABLE at anything above 70mph.  I normally drive a 2001 CVPI and it doesn't behave anything like this particular 2003.  Anyone else have that problem?  This one has about 60,000 miles.

We had a 2000 CV that had handling issues at speed.  It wasn't bad going in a straight line, but turns and lane changes got exciting at times.   My memory is a little fuzzy about the exact cause, but it had something to do with the limited slip rear differential.  I think they said it was locking up when it wasn't supposed to causing the car to act weird.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 8:55:23 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
We were directed to drive out of overdrive a couple of years ago and it cut down on transmission problems alot.  The only problem is that when we have pursuits that go out on to the interstate or some of the larger state routes we have to remember to put it back on.

Man I miss the Caprice......

Quoted:

A properly functioning CVPI will hit 129, and stay there with the OD off.......................
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 9:00:07 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We had a 2000 CV that had handling issues at speed.  It wasn't bad going in a straight line, but turns and lane changes got exciting at times.   My memory is a little fuzzy about the exact cause, but it had something to do with the limited slip rear differential.  I think they said it was locking up when it wasn't supposed to causing the car to act weird.

98's and 99's had open differentials and full time Traction Control. (IIRC) 2000's and up have limited slip differentials. When you go around a corner, they are much more prone to fishtailing, with the throttle applied, than open differentials. It is the nature of the device.

First time me and another officer were responding to an incident, in the new cars, with a little rain, we both fish-tailed around the same intersection................ He backed off, and gathered it up. I drove it like a dirt tracker and stayed on it, until it hooked back up.................
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 10:43:15 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

98's and 99's had open differentials and full time Traction Control. (IIRC) 2000's and up have limited slip differentials. When you go around a corner, they are much more prone to fishtailing, with the throttle applied, than open differentials. It is the nature of the device.

First time me and another officer were responding to an incident, in the new cars, with a little rain, we both fish-tailed around the same intersection................ He backed off, and gathered it up. I drove it like a dirt tracker and stayed on it, until it hooked back up.................

Thanks for the input.  I don't know if it's the differential or not.  Once you hit 70mph and up the vehicle wanders all over the road and it's just flat out hard to handle.  It feels like a suspension issue but I'm not sure.  Luckily, I don't have to drive it.

I like the Crown Vics but think IMO they will be going away in the near future due to high fuel costs.  I think they are good cars but they cost so much to drive.  We haven't gotten mileage restrictions yet and the chief doesn't want it but I think it's coming since we have spent our fuel budget and there is still 4 months left in the year.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 1:00:10 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Thanks for the input.  I don't know if it's the differential or not.  Once you hit 70mph and up the vehicle wanders all over the road and it's just flat out hard to handle.  It feels like a suspension issue but I'm not sure.  Luckily, I don't have to drive it.

I was commenting on the other post.

Here's what I suspect

Worn steering box
bent, or improperly installed front suspension components.
Mismatched tires
Uni-directional tires put on the WRONG way............................
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:32:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Eric,

You are welcome to mine, I won't be using it for awhile, so its a sincere offer.  

PM, email, page or call me...  anything is better than a pool car, and at least I can leave the AR mount and ammo inside.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 2:16:12 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Eric,

You are welcome to mine, I won't be using it for awhile, so its a sincere offer.  

PM, email, page or call me...  anything is better than a pool car, and at least I can leave the AR mount and ammo inside.

Thanks for the offer.  Got it back on Tues...finally.  Ford called it a factory defect and had no problem covering it.  Now I remember how much I hate pool cars.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top