Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/24/2003 7:19:43 PM EDT
It got me.  I am sitting on a case as we speak.  Selected today.  I will update when it finishes.

Anybody have any good jury duty stories???

Link Posted: 11/24/2003 7:28:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Who was it that said:
"I wouldn't want to be judged by anyone not smart enough to get out of jury duty"?

Link Posted: 11/24/2003 7:30:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Who was it that said:
"I wouldn't want to be judged by anyone not smart enough to get out of jury duty"?

View Quote

It's your turn. Do it and shut up.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 7:31:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Who was it that said:

View Quote

US District court....42 people entered....[b]not one[/b] was excused from service by the judge.  There were about 25 excused by the lawyers on both sides using their peremptory  challenges...I simply refused to lie or mislead the court, despite a perfectly ambigious but believeable "reason" that my fairness could be questioned.

Apparently they take this shit pretty serious in Federal court.....

7 show cause/contempt of court bench warrants issued.....
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 7:42:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Sometimes you just have to wonder.
I work in the engineering department of an aerospace electronics company.
Many of us engineers have been called/summoned to appear for jury duty.
As soon as the defense attorney learns of the occupation, everyone of us has always been summarily dismissed - at least this has been the case where I live.
We don't know why - but have a suspicion....
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 7:45:30 PM EDT
[#5]
I used to dread jury duty as well, but now I wish I could get on one.

Jury Nullification is our last chance at fixing our System.  W/out good people on Juries, we don't stand a chance.

Just tell them you are NRA, have had a violent crime committed against you, etc... pro-gun, whatever.  You'll be off quick
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 7:46:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
As soon as the defense attorney learns of the occupation, everyone of us has always been summarily dismissed - at least this has been the case where I live.
View Quote

Never asked us what we did.....not even on the initial return mailer.....

Link Posted: 11/24/2003 7:47:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Be a man. Do what's right. For a useful view of a juror's rights & duties, google "John Peter Zenger"
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 7:49:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Be a man. Do what's right. For a useful view of a juror's rights & duties, google "John Peter Zenger"
View Quote

To whom are you speaking?  If you are addressing me, you may want to learn to read.

I am there, on the jury, and serving my duty.

If someone else, you should make it VERY clear.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 7:55:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Who was it that said:

View Quote

It's your turn. Do it and shut up.
View Quote

I'm not a citizen, I cant serve. I would if called.[:D]
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 7:59:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Just got my jury summons the other day.  For the 15th of december.  Wouldnt bother me except that I was planning to go out of town on the 20th.  On the bright side, there has been a big legal issue with some of the strip clubs in town, I could be on that case [:)]
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 8:03:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 8:10:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

To whom are you speaking?  If you are addressing me, you may want to learn to read.

View Quote

Apparently, that sounded much less repsectful than I meant it to. Yes, I was addressing you, and I knew that you were on a jury. The Zenger case is the high water mark for enlightened juries on this continent. Not sure how I gave offense, but I didn't mean to. Sorry.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 8:12:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Apparently, that sounded much less repsectful than I meant it to. Yes, I was addressing you, and I knew that you were on a jury. The Zenger case is the high water mark for enlightened juries on this continent. Not sure how I gave offense, but I didn't mean to. Sorry.
View Quote

Context...."be a man" usually puts guys on the defensive right off.....I see what you are saying now....

[:)]
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 8:13:20 PM EDT
[#14]
I sat on a jury where this guy was accused of B&E and armed robbery of the occupants of a 3rd floor dorm room at an all-girl college. His defense?
He was drunk, and mistook the building for his home. [ROFL]
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 8:22:56 PM EDT
[#15]
[Homer Simpson] Remember, to get out of jury duty say your biased against all races [/Homer Simpson]
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 8:32:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Apparently they take this shit pretty serious in Federal court.....
View Quote

Yes, they do.

Thanks for standing up and doing your duty.  Your service is as important as any soldier's.  The right to be tried by a jury of one's peers is one of the bedrocks of our republic.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 8:41:18 PM EDT
[#17]
That may be but they shouldn't force you to do it or punish you for refusing to.

Link Posted: 11/24/2003 8:49:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
That may be but they shouldn't force you to do it or punish you for refusing to.
View Quote

Why not?  To intentionally shirk one of the few duties of citizenship is nothing but pure cowardice.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 8:55:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Simple, they dont want people who can think for themselves on a jury.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 10:08:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Why not?  To intentionally shirk one of the few duties of citizenship is nothing but pure cowardice.
View Quote

So in that same plan of thought everybody who didn't enlist are also cowards.

Not everybody's employers pay the employee for his/her jury duty time. So why hasn't the Govt passed a law forcing employers to pay such if they consider it such an obligation?

What about joe self-employed?  Most can not afford to take that much time off and still make bills. So they are cowards becuase they are have real living obligations that have presidence over surving as a juror?

I can think of 12 juror's who's lives are in financial ruin in Oakland, CA because they were forced to serve on a jury.  Companies that do pay for jury duty tend to only pay once the employee is back to work.  those jurors in the 3 police officers case hit 1 year last september.  They are still deliberaing. The judge refuses to accept a hung jury decission.  Are their creditors for their homes, cars, and the utility's going to bare the burden of no payments because it's those peoples duty to serve the jury?

At one time Serving as a Senator, Congressmen, or Prez in this country was an honor thing.  They didn't get paid to do it.  They felt it was their duty to their country. But the system changed, now they do it only for the power & money.

It may have once been an honor to serve as a juror.  But that day has long since passed.  Now it is nothing more then a task forced upon us.

Forced Jury duty, The Draft, Taxes.
The Govt says what you can/can't say, see or do. How is any of this been tolerated in this "free" country.    Slowly taking control is how hitler became a dictator.

You have to take a stand someplace or you're nothing but a sheeple waiting for the slaughter.

Sorry for the hi-jack.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 10:32:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 10:58:59 PM EDT
[#22]
For the folks that hate serving on jury duty, just wait until the time you need a trial by jury.

Serving on jury is like voting, if you don't serve, you have weaken democracy just little bit. Like people who don't vote, bitching & moaning of this, that, and the other. SErving on a jury was a very enlightening experience for me.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 11:18:11 PM EDT
[#23]
I would do jury duty if they paid me what I would lose by missing work.  It's BS to force people, under threat of jail, to skip weeks or months of work, and not reimburse them for their financial loss.

Doing your civic duty is great, until you get stuck on a long trial and cant pay the mortgage.  At least if you are drafted you get paid. Jury duty is slavery, the theft of freedom, time, & work without pay.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 2:28:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 4:11:33 AM EDT
[#25]
I work nights. I got summoned to appear for JD today the 25th. Work let me have last night off and tonight off. I had to call the court last night to verify the case was still a go, We didn't have to appear. I got two paid nights off! Oh boy!
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 4:33:38 AM EDT
[#26]
You are not judged by YOUR PEERS!!!!!!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top