Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/20/2005 4:28:41 PM EDT
I would love to get a Barrett M468 Carbine in 6.8x43mm.  The cartridge sounds like a great compromise between power and size and the carbine looks great. But  the $2700 price tag not including optic shivers me timbers.  The only way I can do it is creadit card debt & I'm in the process of refinacing my house to get rid of such debt.  
How do you  fellow shooters & gun nuts afford these prices?
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 4:29:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Work... alot
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 4:30:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Build your own. It's just an AR.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 4:30:45 PM EDT
[#3]
save your money, wise investing, cut out needless spending
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 4:30:54 PM EDT
[#4]
aye, the 6.8 became so popular because all you had to do was "Change the bolt and barrel" so they say.

much cheaper :)
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 4:34:20 PM EDT
[#5]
I dunno. I work my ass off and can barely afford a WASR-10, much less an AR-15 of any variant.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 4:38:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Education is tied pretty closely to income.  Perhaps night school or weekends is an option?  If you are in debt cutting up your credit cards is also probably a good idea.  Watch Suzie Orman or what ever her name is (the financial planner on TV).  I think she's an insufferable bitch, but a lot of people swear by her.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 4:38:58 PM EDT
[#7]
The same way some people can afford massive houses and expensive cars.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 4:41:01 PM EDT
[#8]

Foresake women.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 4:41:17 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Education is tied pretty closely to income.  Perhaps night school or weekends is an option?  If you are in debt cutting up your credit cards is also probably a good idea.  Watch Suzie Orman or what ever her name is (the financial planner on TV).  I think she's an insufferable bitch, but a lot of people swear by her.

+1 Her voice is annoying but it is usually saying good advice.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 4:41:51 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
save your money, wise investing, cut out needless spending

+1 +1 +1
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 4:42:30 PM EDT
[#11]
My summer job doesn't start up until mid-June so for the time being I've been selling a bunch of these I own and never use anymore. In the past 6 months I've sold about 3K worth of stuff I hadn't used in years.....
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 4:42:45 PM EDT
[#12]
tis true I could just get an upper from Barrett and a Eagle Arms lower  from Quantico Arms and drop the price to  $1,825  ....
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 4:43:51 PM EDT
[#13]
$1,825 is still a shitload of money. I'm trying to find 1,200 or so to get an MP5 clone I got a real bad jonesin for. Got to find more stuff of mine to sell I guess..
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 4:43:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Good luck affording the ammo!  As for how to make money, I think college may solve that problem.  Also, don't buy stupid crap like $800 dogs, ak47s and car enhancments.

I bet the best way to make a lot of money is to find something you like doing, get a dgree in it and then get a job with the state, in that field.  They will give you sweet benefits and your pay will always go up.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 4:52:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Actually I have a Bachelors degree, I'm single, my house (definitely my best investment) has doubled in value in the last four years - I guess it's not that it would break me, I'm just  not used to the idea of spending that much on some thing that isn't an investment. I have a C&R license and don't think spending 2K on those firearms is such a big deal since unlike new weapons there is no depreciation.  It's just the thought of droping 2k on something that would immediately loose $500 in value is sobering.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 4:54:23 PM EDT
[#16]
It's all about having your priorities in the right place.  And that's all I have to say about that!
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 4:58:39 PM EDT
[#17]
And credit cards....LOTS OF credit cards! And they are ALL MAXED OUT!!!! Wooo Hooooo!
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 5:00:15 PM EDT
[#18]
For starters, learn to distinguish between what you need and what you merely want.

Stop throwing away money on things like eating out, especially if you tend to put stuff like that on your credit card.  Pay cash as often as possible so you actually see those dollars leaving your hand.  When all you're doing is signing your name to a receipt, spending becomes slightly unreal... and much easier to do to excess.

Link Posted: 5/20/2005 5:01:29 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
$1,825 is still a shitload of money. I'm trying to find 1,200 or so to get an MP5 clone I got a real bad jonesin for. Got to find more stuff of mine to sell I guess..

I know you don't get paid for donating blood anymore, but do sperm banks still pay $50 a pop?

What about bone marrow? Kidney? Lung?

Pimp yourself out?

Go! Buy that MP5, boy! Go!
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 5:10:23 PM EDT
[#20]
I used to have a savings account until I got into C&Rs
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 5:11:07 PM EDT
[#21]
buy Wolf and you will save lots of money.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 5:15:54 PM EDT
[#22]
easy, we don't buy every single new fad that comes out.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 5:47:59 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
easy, we don't buy every single new fad that comes out.

WHAT???When did that change??  I missed another meeting??  Damn!  I spend waaay too much time internet shopping!
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 5:53:02 PM EDT
[#24]
One thing that helps is to not jump on the fad train everytime it rolls buy, ymmv.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 5:54:55 PM EDT
[#25]
it took me 6 years,  cout them 1 2 3 4 5 and 6, to piece together my bushy one part at a time.  When it's all said an done, I have put about 800 into it.  Including the Aimpoint.  It was worth it though.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 5:55:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Come to CA. You won't be having these issues to deal with. Promise. Really. No shit.

CW
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 5:59:28 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Foresake women.

That's how I do it. Don't date and your arsenal will grow. It is amazing how much money they burn up and often on things that are not tangible.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 6:01:58 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Come to CA. You won't be having these issues to deal with. Promise. Really. No shit.

CW

Link Posted: 5/20/2005 6:04:53 PM EDT
[#29]
<==Broke College Student

<== Forsakes Women, Standard hobbies, road trips, parties, and most other normal parts of college that cost $$$

Link Posted: 5/20/2005 6:07:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Steal them from yard sales.  Sorry lowdrag82.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 6:11:19 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Steal them from yard sales.  Sorry lowdrag82.

Now that's funny

Also, just be glad you're not intersted in machine guns.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 6:11:34 PM EDT
[#32]
2 words.......TAX REFUND

Free
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 6:11:45 PM EDT
[#33]
whenever I go to the atm, if I take out 80 bucks from my checking, then I put another 40 dollars from checking into savings at the same time.  Then if it is a busy week, all other atm transactions are a 1:1 ratio.  I never take $ from savings.

And this way I go to the ATM much less.  I only carry 1 credit card and use it only for emergencies.

I dont drink anymore soda or bottled water.  Beer is now the cheap stuff.  I dont go out to eat much.  Good luck.

OH, YEAH thanks to the state of califronia, I cant have shit anyways
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 6:17:32 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Foresake women.

That's how I do it. Don't date and your arsenal will grow. It is amazing how much money they burn up and often on things that are not tangible.

So true. That's one of the reasons I broke up with my GF. Every week it was (pick one):

1. Let's take a trip
2. You need to decorate your house
3. Let's have a party
4. You need new clothes
5. I'm in the mood for a nice dinner out
6. etc.

One day I sat down and figured up she was costing me about $20K a year. I started to realize that I could never save any money if I stayed with her. That's not the only reason we broke up, but it was part of it. She was fookin high-maintenance. When her daughter got married, she (and this is sickening) and her x-husband spent $60,000 on the wedding. To see people waste money like that really makes me lose respect for them.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 6:27:23 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

So true. That's one of the reasons I broke up with my GF. Every week it was (pick one):

1. Let's take a trip
3. Let's have a party
4. You need new clothes
6. etc.

One day I sat down and figured up she was costing me about $20K a year. I started to realize that I could never save any money if I stayed with her. That's not the only reason we broke up, but it was part of it. She was fookin high-maintenance. When her daughter got married, she (and this is sickening) and her x-husband spent $60,000 on the wedding. To see people waste money like that really makes me lose respect for them.

$60,000!!! I think "New WRX STi, about every missing piece of my arsenal AND pleanty of ammo and cleaning stuff"
But on ONE day! That's just wrong, you're right that is just sickening.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 6:38:10 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

1. Let's take a trip
3. Let's have a party
4. You need new clothes
6. etc.

$60,000!!! I think "New WRX STi, about every missing piece of my arsenal AND pleanty of ammo and cleaning stuff"

Here's the really sickening part. They offered the daughter $55,000 in cash and a $5000 wedding, or a $60,000 wedding. The daughter picked the $60,000 wedding. The daughter has a $28,000 a year job and she gave up that money. What is it with women and weddings???
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 12:36:39 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

1. Let's take a trip
3. Let's have a party
4. You need new clothes
6. etc.

Here's the really sickening part. They offered the daughter $55,000 in cash and a $5000 wedding, or a $60,000 wedding. The daughter picked the $60,000 wedding. The daughter has a $28,000 a year job and she gave up that money. What is it with women and weddings???

A wedding can be done for a lot cheaper around here
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 12:47:56 AM EDT
[#38]
First, a decent job helps. After that, it's all about priorities. No new cars with payments and full coverage insurance, no other expensive interests (boats, race cars, Harley's, etc.), no wife, no kids, no expensive wardrobe or jewelry, eat cheap, vacation at home, and stay out of bars (for the most part).

At least that's how I afford it.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 12:49:50 AM EDT
[#39]
Back to the original topic, stop eating out. You will be surprised at how much money you can save by just stop eating out.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 1:18:08 AM EDT
[#40]
I think I eat out about once a week usually at a fast food restaurant.

I look at things from my financial standpoint.  If I am paid 10.00 an hour I will NOT go to a restaurant that will cost 20+ dollars for a meal!  (ok rarely I do)

That means I had to work at least 3 hours of that day for the gas and the meal to eat one meal.  

Do not live above your means of living and your income.

I used to remember this stuff but I have forgotten so maybe someone can fix my messed up numbers

you work the first 3 or 4 months JUST to pay your taxes.  If you have insurance, you probably work an extra 2 months a year JUST to pay that.  Now you have a car that has insurance.. so for 7 or 8  out of 12 months you are working just to pay your basic bills.  Now you have your rent and/or morgage.  so you work 10 months out of the year JUST to pay your bills, taxes, and transportation.  

You have 2 months to buy extra stuff with.  Manage your money from that.  Depressing isn't it
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 1:42:47 AM EDT
[#41]
Ramen noodles and hot sauce....

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 2:30:56 AM EDT
[#42]
It is really not a matter of how much you earn, but rather a matter of how much you keep.

Try these tips to saving money:

Keep a log of your purchases.

Get rid of cable television.   Quit going to movies.

Buy books at a used book store.

Skip Starbucks.

Buy clothes at Goodwill or Salvation Army.  

Buy the cheapest vehicle that fits your needs, but for investing, but the cheapest home you can find in the most expensive neighborhood.

Cut back on how many time you eat at restaurants, even fats food (spelled incorrectly intentionally).

Buy your ammo and gear on line, check the prices first.

Dump any whole life insurance products you have if you do not have a fully funded 401K or other tax deferred plan.

I have met people who make a great deal of money that live from paycheck to paycheck.  For most people, it is not the expensive durable good items that will eliminate your savings but rather the casual erosion of “pocket money” on discretionary and often unnecessary goods and services.

Good Luck.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 2:44:42 AM EDT
[#43]
Work lots and lots of O.T.

Cut out any needless spending....i.e.: learn to live and eat  frugally and wear the same four pairs of jeans and t-shirts till you can't wear them anymore etc.

Forsake relationships and dating

Save like a mofo

have MAX deductions taken out in taxes so you get a healthy refund.

Learn to work on your own vehicle.

Don't drink or smoke.....okay, I had to make a concession on smoking because if I don't smoke...people die.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 2:49:52 AM EDT
[#44]
Overtime, overtime, overtime.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 7:18:58 AM EDT
[#45]
Marry a rich bimbo.

CW
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 7:26:00 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
One thing that helps is to not jump on the fad train everytime it rolls buy, ymmv.

I wear the same crap every day and come back into fashion every four or five years.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 7:30:42 AM EDT
[#47]
Almost all of my money is pissed away from eating out.  There are so many good places to eat around here.  I need a lifestyle change to save money. I am working on it, but it takes time.  If you plan your meals right, you should only spend $50 a week on food.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 9:13:29 AM EDT
[#48]
pimpin'
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 9:15:52 AM EDT
[#49]
some are rich. i saw a guy at the range who said he just bought 5 new Armalites. (just five!)
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 9:19:03 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Almost all of my money is pissed away from eating out.  There are so many good places to eat around here.  I need a lifestyle change to save money. I am working on it, but it takes time.  If you plan your meals right, you should only spend $50 a week on food.

Going out to eat is such a HUGE waste of money. I only go out to eat 3-4 times a year w/the GF ($40-$50 for the meal and she's an incredible cook) and once a week with people from work ($7.33 at BW3 for a Grilled Chickenwrap and drink).

We spend around $150 on average for 2 weeks of groceries and we eat a lot of whole foods. I'd rather spend the money on groceries than healthcare.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top