Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Posted: 9/16/2004 6:29:53 AM EST
For those of you going huh? Windows pe is a version of windows xp. It only shipped to big time corperate admins and guys in charge of massive systems. (For free mind you!) Small time admins like me can't get there hands on an official microsoft copy. If you have an official copy or know where I can get my hands on one tell me please, I need the tools.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:30:55 AM EST
Windows 'pe'?

Haven't heard about it. I have an MSDN subscription (meaning I can download all of MS's platforms and such), and I haven't seen 'pe' on there.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:32:21 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:35:25 AM EST
The pre-release Windows XP was codenamed Whistler. There was originally a pre-release called Windows XP Personal Edition, but it because known as Windows XP Home Edition when it was released. It was shipped to Microsoft Solution Providers for testing during the beta phase, just as Windows NT 4.0 and Windows 2000 were.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:37:57 AM EST
Windows pe is the beginning boot load up for longhorn. Basicly the new windows comming out you just throw in the cd, windows starts up and you can install windows or have a graphical environment to do tools. Windows pe right now is basicly a boot disk cd that is a scaled down version of windows xp. Think all the linux boot cds that are a gui but windows. It also has a tool that allows you to custom make your own winpe cds and store the isos. Do a search in microsoft.com for winpe and you'll find all the jucy details.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:39:42 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/16/2004 6:40:53 AM EST by Section_Leader]
Forgot to add winpe = Windows Preinstilation Environment

www.microsoft.com/licensing/programs/sa/support/winpe.asp
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:41:09 AM EST

Originally Posted By Section_Leader:
Windows pe is the beginning boot load up for longhorn. Basicly the new windows comming out you just throw in the cd, windows starts up and you can install windows or have a graphical environment to do tools. Windows pe right now is basicly a boot disk cd that is a scaled down version of windows xp. Think all the linux boot cds that are a gui but windows. It also has a tool that allows you to custom make your own winpe cds and store the isos. Do a search in microsoft.com for winpe and you'll find all the jucy details.

This is all I could find on it

Microsoft
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:46:18 AM EST

Originally Posted By Section_Leader:

Ah. Well, it sounds like you'll have to be a solutions provider to get it. The only other option is piracy, and that's illegal.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:48:19 AM EST
IBT the letter "i".

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:48:24 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:57:00 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/16/2004 7:00:16 AM EST by ByteTheBullet]
There is a free and better version called Bart's Boot PE, or something like that. I have used it and I have played with Windows PE ver 1.2. I recommend Bart's and it should be easy(er) to find. Are there additional tools on the Mickey Soft CD? I did not check the copy I got from our server guys.

btw guys, it is a gui boot interface that replaces DOS boot disks. With the correct drivers you can boot from CD and get onto a network and the fun doesn't stop there! It is actually pretty cool, and by cool I mean really, really sweet!!

ByteTheBullet (-:
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:06:08 AM EST
I don't know about pe, but XPE is out now, and I have been working with it. It is XP embbedded. You build the OS component by component. You can chose what parts you want included in the OS. It is sort of like a dev tool kit. You select which parts of windows you want to allow your OS to have, and it builds all the OS files. You use a utility that comes with it to figure out all the drives for the machine and it tells the tool what drives to include as well. Then you boot with the cd and copy all the os files to the other machine. It comes up in a custom xp OS. everything you want, and nothing you don't.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:08:51 AM EST
Is WinPE similar to WinRG?

http://www.deanliou.com/WinRG/

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 1:08:43 PM EST
Were you able to find what you were looking for?

ByteTheBullet (-:
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 1:20:38 PM EST
Yeah to get "Win Pee" you just take a copy of "Win XP" minus the XP and pee on it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 1:26:12 AM EST
I tried barts and it seams to do what I wanted it to do. I was hopeing for more but I will take what I can get. Hopefully one day I can get my hands on a real copy.
Top Top