Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 11/7/2002 10:11:03 PM EDT
I've had an SN3 that has been sitting around waiting for funds to get some decent mounting hardware. I had it out the other night and noticed some discoloration at the top of the field of view. I thought a liquid like a lubricating oil had run onto the lens. I Emailed USO and recieved a reply that the scope probably needed a cleaning and to send it on in. A few days later I returned a call about the scope and the problem was quite different than I had thought. I spoke first with Arnold, then with Dr. Williams. It seems that the scope had a broken reticle. This happens when the turret is turned all the way in with force, crushing the tube holding the reticle against the body of the scope. The discoloration was really broken glass, and this was really a repair, not a cleaning. Sometime in the long time it has been sitting around, either while I had it or a friend kept it for safekeeping, it had been damaged. I had never mounted it, or even known it could be damaged this way. Dr. Williams never named a figure for the repair, and asked me what hardware I was going to use to mount it. I told him I was looking at Badger or USO, and I asked what the reccomended ring height was. I had recieved (used) a set of USO rings that might be too high, and the caps were bent from overtightening. He told me they offer free mounting and I should send him the rifle. I asked if he could hold onto the scope for a few months by which time I expected to have some funds. He said they will fix the scope at no charge, give me rings at half price to get the damaged ones out of the market, sell me a base, mount it all for free, and send me back the rifle. I pay them when I'm able. I'm thinking in a year or two an SN12 would look really nice on the Bushmaster.
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 10:20:51 PM EDT
That's awesome customer service! That's the same kind of service I had gotten from [url=www.comp-tac.com]Comp-Tac[/url] when I ordered a holster.
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 10:23:28 PM EDT
Thats good to hear.... I was considering buying one of their scopes if I get a Mmag 50BMG upper as i've heard USO scopes were pretty good. I used to have their web site bookmarked, anyone know the link?? If I remember correctly they were in Buena Park, CA...
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 10:26:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/7/2002 10:30:25 PM EDT by MadMatt]
These guys sell them, they probably have a USO link on their site: [url]www.50bmgstore.com[/url] Here it is [url]usoptics.com[/url]
Link Posted: 11/8/2002 2:08:05 AM EDT
You are happy that an extremely expensive scope, which was never mounted, broke? You should have bought a Leupold.
Link Posted: 11/8/2002 2:17:24 AM EDT
Link Posted: 11/8/2002 7:32:16 AM EDT
I saw one of their scopes on a .50 once. I was real impressed. And then I saw the price. [shock] WOW!!!! But this is the type of customer service I would expect from someone who make such an awesome product with that kind of price tag. Congrats.
Link Posted: 11/8/2002 7:38:56 AM EDT
Thanks for sharing as my mom would have said. good service
Link Posted: 11/8/2002 7:43:23 AM EDT
Ah! Scope gremlins! Or, maybe the safe gremlins are diversifying? You know, the ones that always put those little dings that "just weren't there the last time I looked at this rifle!" Great news from a USOptics customer service perspective. You might want to post that story here, as there are some pretty unhappy USO customers there... Maybe their customer service really is improving? [url]http://64.177.53.248/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000817.html[/url] [url]http://64.177.53.248/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000435.html[/url]
Link Posted: 11/8/2002 7:57:46 AM EDT
Link Posted: 11/8/2002 8:12:56 AM EDT
My experience with Dr. Williams and US Optics, is nothing less than stellar. There is no finer scope. None. Behold! [img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid38/p3e0a1d3fd6107e324121a253b4b0d2ad/fd140f6f.jpg[/img] Leupold owners are indeed a jealous bunch...[;)]
Link Posted: 11/8/2002 9:22:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/8/2002 9:24:29 PM EDT by Axel]
Originally Posted By Paul: Bummer - sorry to hear that the scope is so fragile that just laying it around it broke. Even if a scope fell off a high shelf I would expect it to survive the fall - imagine the same with a 10 pound rifle attached to it?
View Quote
I had it at a friend's part of the time, and he was more than welcome to look at it, or let his friends see it as I believe he did a couple of times. I haven't checked with him yet. Also someone, possibly me, not knowing it could be damaged that way, could have done it unknowingly by manipulating the turrets. To my knowledge it was never dropped. Also, being attached to a rifle wouldn't increase shock, as measured by g-forces since that wouldn't make it fall faster. The mass of the rifle would increase the force on the scope body, and any damage would be more likely to occur there, in my not-so-expert opinion. If anything, the added mass of the rifle would be more likely to cause an obstacle to give, reducing the shock to internal components, unless of course it was dropped on concrete or something similiar. In any event, these scopes aren't known for their fragility, and I have never heard of any other scope maufacturer doing anything approaching this level of customer support. It is experiences like this that I consider when I make buying decisions. I learned long ago it's better to buy right than buy twice, and I've done enough of that in my life. Edited to add: Cincinnatus, quit teasing!
Top Top